BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2012 1:22 pm  #281

Re: Cabin pressure

From the Wikepedia entry on "Ottery St Mary" - now that's the definite proof that MJN was there:

Air crash
One evening in July 1980, a disaster was narrowly averted when an aircraft on approach to Exeter Airport crash-landed just on the outskirts of the town, in a field where the cricket club now stands. The aircraft, an Alidair Vickers Viscount turboprop, flying 62 passengers from Santander to Exeter was eleven miles short of the runway over a wooded area on East Hill, just before the town, when it ran out of fuel and all four engines stopped.
The pilot, who knew the area, was able to bank left and glide over the town's southern edge and make a wheels-up crash-landing in a field. The aircraft was put down at 19.53 hrs, in daylight, near St Saviours' Bridge, in a small grassy valley studded with trees. The was 27 year-old aircraft was written off in the crash.[17] The only casualties were two sheep.
The Air Accidents Investigation Branch concluded that the accident had been primarily caused by the crew's mistaken belief that there was sufficient fuel on board to complete the flight. The aircraft's unreliable fuel gauges, the company's pilots' method of establishing total fuel quantity and the imprecise company instructions regarding the use of dipsticks were also considered to be major contributory factors. Meter indications on the refuelling vehicle at Santander, which could not have accurately reflected the quantity of fuel delivered, were also considered to have been a probable contributory factor.
The accident investigation report concluded, however, that the aircraft commander's handling of the emergency once the aircraft's four engines stopped had been skilful and assured. Had he not acted in the way he did there could have been a considerable loss of life both for aircraft passengers and for residents of the town. One of the propellers from the aircraft was later donated by the airline to the town to be auctioned for charity.
The town still lies under the flightpath for Exeter International Airport. Aircraft regularly pass overhead, mostly turboprops operated by Flybe. There are about 20 such flights a day.
[edit]

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 20, 2012 1:55 pm  #282

Definitive proof! Glad to see that the pilot was skilful even if the dip-stick was inaccurate!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 20, 2012 4:13 pm  #283

I can imagine their talk:

DOUGLAS: We could go to Bristol, I believe. People do. However, we've easily enough fuel spare to hold for twenty minutes, maybe even thirty.
MARTIN: Yeah, I'm sorry, but we are diverting.
ARTHUR: Yeah, hang on a tick though, If Douglas reckons twenty minutes..
MARTIN: No, let's not hang on a tick. Let's listen to the Captain, shall we?
DOUGLAS: Of course, Martin, if you say we divert, then divert we shall.

Obviously they did not divert and sadly nobody had the idea of smelling smoke in the flight deck....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 23, 2012 9:47 pm  #284

Just switched on TV to BBC world (the only channel we can watch without internet), and now I know where Martin was all the time... 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19690725

September 24, 2012 6:12 am  #285

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 24, 2012 7:13 am  #286

Funny! I thought Catch me if You Can too when I read it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 28, 2012 6:40 am  #287

Happy Birthday to John Finnemore who's 35 today!

September 28, 2012 7:14 am  #288

Oh! Happy Birthday, Sir John! (One day it will pass!)

October 4, 2012 11:54 pm  #289

Charm available at Macy's.

Go ahead. Say it. Yellow car!

Last edited by veecee (October 4, 2012 11:55 pm)

October 5, 2012 12:50 am  #290

veecee wrote:

Charm available at Macy's.

Go ahead. Say it. Yellow car!

Want one! Now I'm wondering how many Sherlock/Cabin Pressure/BC's-work-in-general related charms I could find.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 5, 2012 6:39 am  #291

Maybe you could do some research and post you results for us. 

October 5, 2012 10:20 am  #292

SusiGo wrote:

Maybe you could do some research and post you results for us. 

Yes, Captain, right away! But did you mean, *Simon says* you could do some research? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 5, 2012 10:59 am  #293

Of course I did. It's the law. 

October 6, 2012 11:17 am  #294

Then I went onto e.bay and found stickpins and fridge magnets for Cabin Pressure. (You can even buy real, authentic cabin pressure instruments from real aircraft on there!) I am sooooo tempted to buy at least one, even though they, ironically, come all the way from the USA. E.bay also has some t-shirts with yellow cars on them.

Last edited by Davina (October 6, 2012 11:18 am)

October 6, 2012 11:26 am  #295

Can you build those cabin pressure instruments into your car?    That would be interesting.... 

October 6, 2012 11:34 am  #296

They might make an interesting decoration for the mantelpiece- not of your car, obviously!

October 6, 2012 11:43 am  #297

Davina wrote:

They might make an interesting decoration for the mantelpiece- not of your car, obviously!

How could you know? 

Last edited by Mattlocked (October 6, 2012 11:52 am)

October 6, 2012 12:09 pm  #298

I meant a mantelpiece in the car. However...ooo! Did this person get a little too near the fire?

October 6, 2012 12:18 pm  #299

Well, it's not very healthy to have a mantelpiece in the car.... 
okay.... not exactly... but at least one could decorate it.

Last edited by Mattlocked (October 6, 2012 12:18 pm)

October 6, 2012 8:37 pm  #300

Mattlocked wrote:

Davina wrote:

How could you know? 

This reminds me of those ridiculouse "Amish" fireplace ads in the Sunday paper. Other Americans, do you know the ones I mean?

Board footera