BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 18, 2012 5:38 pm  #1

OMG! (stereotypical teenage girl outburst)

Oh my goodness I'm SO excited, I just realised that you can watch DVD's on a laptop. I got a laptop just last week and have just watched scandal!!!
This is so fab, I can watch Sherlock privately and without my Mum knowing 
I'll be watching it way more often now!!! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 18, 2012 6:20 pm  #2

Re: OMG! (stereotypical teenage girl outburst)

Mollllly......are you being sneaky and naughty?  Oh for shame......... I would never have done anything like that when I was your age . Of course when I was your age there was no such things as laptops and the TV had 3 channels - period.  I think dinasaurs were roaming the earth then too 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 18, 2012 7:05 pm  #3

But I did read books with a torch under my bedcovers when I was supposed to be going to sleep. Not recommended for eyesight.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 18, 2012 7:22 pm  #4

Laptops were invented for Sherlock activities.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 18, 2012 7:32 pm  #5

Of course! I've managed to download a Sherlock wallpaper but unfortunately the tabs are covering up Benedict's beautiful face!

Ha ha! I just checked my history and it goes like this:
This Forum,
Connie Prince.co.uk,
JW Blog,
Molly Hooper.co.uk,
Sherlockology!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 18, 2012 7:38 pm  #6

Davina wrote:

But I did read books with a torch under my bedcovers when I was supposed to be going to sleep. Not recommended for eyesight.

Fellow Americans, don't be alarmed,
Davina is neither so old that she actually used a bruning stick, nor was she a firebug (that I know of).
torch = flashlight

P.S. If I'm wrong about "she," sorry.

Last edited by veecee (June 18, 2012 7:42 pm)

June 18, 2012 7:38 pm  #7

Haha, I have these tabs open at all times:

This Forum
Sherlock Roleplay Forum
Facebook (3 different accounts open in 3 different browsers)
Twitter
Tumblr
Omegle
YouTube
(All Sherlock related)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 18, 2012 7:40 pm  #8

Molly, I wish you much fun with the laptop. I've got a trampoline in my study and guess what I'm watching on my PC when doing my exercises?? Hm, I've got a Sherlock wallpaper as well and moved all the icons to the bottom so that his face is not covered up. Just give it a try  .
@KeepersPrice: This could be me talking  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 18, 2012 7:42 pm  #9

What... you did not know that? :D Cute!
Then... I hope you enjoy your newly discovered freedom

Actually, I do most of my cumberbatchin' on my laptop. It would creep others out if they'd notice.

June 18, 2012 8:48 pm  #10

Davina wrote:

I did that too... my mother used to get very angry, she almost always catched me doing that

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 18, 2012 11:07 pm  #11

Molly Hooper wrote:

Of course! I've managed to download a Sherlock wallpaper but unfortunately the tabs are covering up Benedict's beautiful face!

I want to download the Sherlock theme song to my smartphone as a ring tone but don't have a clue how to do it.  I hate being technically stupid!! 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 19, 2012 5:50 pm  #12

KeepersPrice wrote:

I want to download the Sherlock theme song to my smartphone as a ring tone but don't have a clue how to do it.  I hate being technically stupid!! 

Well, if you have internet access you can certainly find the song online and download it. Sometimes there are apps which already include certain ringtones... I used to have one with Dcotor who ringtones. You could search for that.

If you don't have internet access on your phone you might have a friend who has the theme song on his phone and sends it to your phone via bluetooth. Or the friend has internet access, downloads it and sends it to you...

Or you go on your computer, download the theme song from somewhere and send it from your computer via bluetooth to your phone. I'm not sure about other computers but I need to have some kind of bluetooth stick I have to put into my computer to be able to transfer files with my phone via bluetooth.
And of course if your computer can read the memory card of your phone or you have some kind of adapter to let your computer read the card, I guess you can put the file from your computer directly to your phone..

Sorry, that was probably a bad explanation ;)

June 19, 2012 6:03 pm  #13

Your can download the ringtone for free from Sherlockology.com. Go to Downloads and Extras, there you can choose a ringtone. I somehow managed to get it over to my phone, using Bluetooth, I guess. Just give it a try. If it doesn't work, someone over here should be able to help you. Good luck!

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 1, 2012 6:29 pm  #14

One really neat thing about the DVD players on laptops (and perhaps on desktop computers as well) is that many (most? all?) of them are region-free, meaning that you can play DVDs from any region on them.

When we heard that Season 2 of Sherlock would be broadcast (and available on DVD) in January in the UK, but not until May (!) here in the US, we immediately pre-ordered the Region 2 DVD from Amazon.co.uk, had it in hand the first week of February, and had the new episodes pretty well memorized by the time PBS got around to showing them.

August 2, 2012 3:20 am  #15

I didn't know that about the DVDs. I really prefer to watch on the bigger screen sitting with my husband on the couch, but if it means I don't have to wait I might just try this.
Thanks.

August 2, 2012 6:21 am  #16

veecee wrote:

I didn't know that about the DVDs. I really prefer to watch on the bigger screen sitting with my husband on the couch, but if it means I don't have to wait I might just try this.
Thanks.

In addition to the region-free DVD players on most laptops, they also sell region-free DVD players that you can hook up to your television.  In fact, that's how we actually watched Season 2 of Sherlock.

Having the region-free player also gives us the ability to watch quite a few other things that Martin Freeman is in, such as Bruiser (though Freeman's skits are also on YouTube) and Boy Meets Girl, both highly recommended.

We bought the player when the first Harry Potter movie came out.  We had bought all of the Potter books from Amazon.co.uk, in order to have them in the original language -- the American editions have been "translated."  In fact, the American publisher insisted on changing the title of the first book from the original Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, meaning that the first movie also had two different titles with somewhat different dialog -- which is why we bought the region-free DVD player and the Region 2 movie.

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (August 2, 2012 6:30 am)

August 7, 2012 6:26 am  #17

wait a minute--  you mean a lappy can play dvds  on  it?  how?   Can we get the subtitles too?   And can you get internet on a lappy?   How do I know if a dvd player is region-free?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 7, 2012 7:00 am  #18

Yep. Laptops can play DVDs and you can get Internet as well. Clever eh! Not come thing like an I-pad though. You need a proper laptop not a tablet.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 7, 2012 4:00 pm  #19

ok  thanks.  I'll ask santa claus for one this christmas.  I  would also need a router, to set my house up for wi-fi.  I'm getting a cell phone!!   squeee!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 7, 2012 4:23 pm  #20

You wouldn't necessarily need wi-fi, not if you already have internet access in your house, because a "real" laptop computer (the kind that folds up) can generally use the same kind of internet hookup as a desktop computer.  I say "generally" because you do need to make sure that what you buy actually does have all the features that you want, so that it can actually do everything that you're wanting to use it for.  So be sure to ask.  Too many questions are better than too few!

Note:  I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about when it comes to the current-day computer scene -- things have gotten awfully complicated of late.  So please check with a knowledgeable computer geek before investing in equipment.

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (August 7, 2012 4:27 pm)

Board footera