BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2012 8:43 am  #1

Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes

I've found a good source with all the shows listed if anyone wants to watch them.

http://watchseries.eu/serie/sherlock_holmes

I usually use a Putlocker link as they seem to work best from here.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 20, 2012 4:55 pm  #2

Re: Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes

Jeremy Brett's interpretation is very good. It follows the original stories very closely, particularly in the intensity of the character. Such a troubled man himself though (

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 21, 2012 9:39 pm  #3

Thank you!!!   I  have this entire boxed set....  Jeremy Brett was my  favorite television holmes- (Until now)  He was the one that got me hooked on this  classic detective.  I  loved the fact that his series followed Doyle's writings so closely--  some of them were very short,  but they managed to put a whole hours worth of dialogue in there.   LOVED  it!!

My favorite?   That would have to be the Musgrave Ritual story--  I  loved the scenery  and the house,  and everything in it.  The way Watson  (Edward Hardwicke in this version)  had trouble following Holmes' deductions with the string and counting the footsteps.....

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 21, 2012 9:42 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 22, 2012 1:01 am  #4

I've really started to get into the Jeremy Brett episodes recently and I can definitley tell where Benedict got some of his influences from for his interpretation of SH.

JB really is very cool. I particularly love the fight scene in The Solitary Cyclist, it's awesome!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 23, 2012 6:46 pm  #5

Jeremy Brett is also my favorite Sherlock Holmes. But it was not only Jeremy Brett who was great also both Watson´s where great. I loved the humor in the TV Show it was all how I remembered it from the books.
And these are the things I find in the new Sherlock TV-Show from the BBC.

May 23, 2012 8:42 pm  #6

sherlockskitty wrote:

Thank you!!!   I  have this entire boxed set....  Jeremy Brett was my  favorite television holmes- (Until now)  He was the one that got me hooked on this  classic detective.  I  loved the fact that his series followed Doyle's writings so closely--  some of them were very short,  but they managed to put a whole hours worth of dialogue in there.   LOVED  it!!

My favorite?   That would have to be the Musgrave Ritual story--  I  loved the scenery  and the house,  and everything in it.  The way Watson  (Edward Hardwicke in this version)  had trouble following Holmes' deductions with the string and counting the footsteps.....

I also have the entire box set and many other box sets for that matter,
I quite liked the Musgrave ritual but i'm not sure which is my favorite.

I <3 Sherlock Holmes
    Twitter = @ellen_lowe

May 31, 2012 6:55 am  #7

As I think back,  yes,  jeremy and benedict are very similar in their interpretations.   I  just love the mannerisms  in both series.   

Remember that episode called "Problem in Thor Bridge?   Well,  Holmes was able to get a ride in his very first horseless carriage.   I  just wonder what ben's Holmes will do,  as a first time thing?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 31, 2012 7:45 am  #8

Helicopter maybe?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 1, 2012 5:27 am  #9

that's a thought.   Maybe THAT's  how he survived the fall.....

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 4, 2012 10:43 am  #10

I give to you all, a lovely collection of "Sherlock Quotes" delivered by the impeccable Mr Jeremy Brett.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 4, 2012 10:48 am  #11

OH WOW!

An early fandom video!!

And is that an earlier version of the shock blanket at 2:16?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 4, 2012 10:52 am  #12

And a Jeremy Brett interview!

Uncanny similarities with Benedict; in life I mean, not just mannerisms.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 4, 2012 11:56 am  #13

Another interview.
Hmm, I noted a similarity to Holmes' early life. Can you pick it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqp_9KBlC3o

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 4, 2012 12:10 pm  #14

Oh wow these are good; watch through to the second part, you will be rewarded. (mentions a female Watson!)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 4, 2012 1:05 pm  #15

Thanks for these kaz. JB, yay!

June 5, 2012 3:56 am  #16

Aren't they amazing Boss? I have found some remarkable similarities with either his life & Holmes' or with his life & Ben's. And the mannerisms! I know Ben said he liked JB's portrayal & would have watched these shows during his 'formative' years, but it's uncanny at times. But those mannerisms drop away when Ben is NOT Sherlock.

It's hard for me to decide yet but what I am seeing is because of a form of 'nature or nuture' really. It's grabbed my attention at the moment & will be fascinating to think more about.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 5, 2012 8:52 am  #17

Yeah the more I watch of Brett the more I get into him and the similarities are really uncanny. Particularly the way he shouts "MRS HUDSOOOON!!!"

June 5, 2012 9:19 am  #18

Well that's what I mean; we know Ben watched a lot of JB & so it appears he has to some degree based Sherlock on JB's Holmes.(I like to call Cumberbatch's version "Sherlock" and Bate's version "Holmes" seems natural really)
The question I wondered about that is "Is it deliberate or is this the way Ben imagine's he would be anyway", which must have been influenced by seeing JB's Holmes at an early stage in his viewing life.

Is that understandable?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 7, 2012 3:44 pm  #19

Whoever plays the next most popular version of Holmes in say, 10 years time, will have undoubtedly been influenced by Benedict and people will be asking the same questions about him. I find it interesting.

April 3, 2013 12:02 am  #20

OK  I  am doing some card making,(for my  girl's group  which is just for fun)    and I  am  using  pages from ACD's  book.   I  used a page with a paragraph   from  COPPER BEECHES.   When I read it,   I   was very much reminded of  Jeremy Brett's show of the same name.   For the most part,  the writer of that show left in the original dialogue,  and Jeremy pulled it off with aplomb!!!  

On a rainy day,  I  plan to watch a marathon of jeremy brett's sherlock holmes.   SIGH.    there just isn't enuf time in a day.  

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera