BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2013 2:48 pm  #141

Re: Tell us what part of the world you come from

AliceI wrote:

That is odd, I thought the majority of members were from the UK and surrounding countries. I thought we Yanks were the minority.as anyone ever done the stats on members in this respect? You know what percent are from what areas of the world?

It probably has to do with the fact that the US has five times the population of the UK. It's funny, though, because at least in the threads I frequent, the majority of active posters is either a Brit or German.

March 23, 2013 2:51 pm  #142

ancientsgate wrote:

It's funny, though, because at least in the threads I frequent, the majority of active posters is either a Brit or German.

Yes, we are more talkative than people usually believe!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 23, 2013 2:54 pm  #143

Schmiezi wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

It's funny, though, because at least in the threads I frequent, the majority of active posters is either a Brit or German.

Yes, we are more talkative than people usually believe!

I'm in awe of you guys' command of English. Most of the time, I can't tell you're not native speakers. Impressive!

I'm a New England yankee, and yeah, we're a lot more talkative than our stereotypical image, too.

March 24, 2013 1:50 pm  #144

I am from London, in the UK and grew up round the corner from Baker Street

I now live in Cardiff

Obviously, I have a good time spotting locations but its slightly surreal to have a part of Cardiff I know well pretending to be a part of London I know well (have same going on with Doctor Who)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

March 24, 2013 2:37 pm  #145

you know, though, I think its mainly filmed in studio in Cardiff, down in the Bay now I believe though I think they used to film up toward Treforrest-that's where Dr Who used to be too. 

I guess Cardiff isn't a great stand in for central London. The architecture is really different. 

I have also, I am pretty sure, several times, pre Sherlock, eaten at Speedys-its near my parents' house. That would make the location of 221B in fact  gower street, I think? That's just surreal. And ironically for Holmes geeks it runs off Montague Place which is where Holmes was meant to be living prior to moving in with Watson. Bit of a hike to Baker Street though.

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"

March 24, 2013 3:53 pm  #146

Well tbh Baker Street isn't a residential area at all, it doesn't have that feel.  Its very much a throughfare. I think the Gower Street location (I'm pretty sure it must be Gower Street) is much more plausible nowadays, people do actually live on Gower Street though very very very very rich ones. Not so much invalided soldiers on an army pension. I don't think Baker Street now looks like people would imagine it to be from the stories. Its all (Sherlock Holmes) tourist shops. I guess the "Sherlock Holmes" museum might also have alerted John a little too early as to what he was getting into ...

Also, not sure how these things work but no way can I imagine them being able to close off Baker Street to film, it would be like closing off Oxford Circus.

I did think there should have been a little more surprise from John as to the location of the rooms. A maisonette in Baker Street? No way could that be cheap. I mean I know its a good rate but...Baker Street? Its like living in Oxford Street or something. And a bit of the backstory of how Mrs Hudson managed to aquire this super-desirable real estate would be interesting  (possibly it has something to do with the husband...)

Last edited by beekeeper (March 24, 2013 3:58 pm)

March 24, 2013 4:22 pm  #147

Definitely chose not to use Baker Street firstly because it is so busy and would be difficult to shut off for filming and secondly because it is full of references to Sherlock Holmes which might be a bit...wierd! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 27, 2013 6:55 pm  #148

I live in Essex, UK but have lived in Preston, Cambridge, Ealing and travelled as part of the Army.. 

------------------------------------------------
Twenty-something Sherlockian with Whovian traits of a Christopher Eccleston kind. 

March 29, 2013 7:42 pm  #149

London, UK. Have never been to Baker Street or anywhere from any Holmes story, ACD or otherwise... What a waste of my time 

Threatened with burning 'cos his stories were tall
Sherlock Holmes had a great fall
All Mycroft's horses and all Lestrade's men
Couldn't put John back together again

Get your salt and get your gun
An IOU apple? C'mon, you must think!
Let us go -- be ready to run
And remember -- above all -- DO NOT BLINK.

Warning: awkward newbie alert! I will be tenatively posting in random topics until I have established some kind of a rough presence. And then I will probabably continue doing so. You have been warned.

My first fanfic Crossover between Sherlock and AF

April 1, 2013 3:25 pm  #150

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

April 8, 2013 1:30 am  #151

=14pxHI, I'm from Buenos Aires!!!!
It's not very easy for us to watch the series but the effort is more than worth it!!!

Is it nice not being me?

April 9, 2013 4:28 pm  #152

I knew, as well as many others here, that the "real" bakerstreet in london isn't the location from the bbc one but however I decided to visit 221b on my last journey to london- awfully impressive and beautiful!
<- aaand as you can see i live in germany 

---------------------------------------------------

"Nichts ist trügerischer, als eine offenkundige Tatsache"

Sherlock's not dead
Corpses don't go to heaven
And he won't leave the flat
For less than a seven 

April 9, 2013 5:32 pm  #153

Germany rocks here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

April 10, 2013 1:01 pm  #154

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

Germany rocks here!

Seems so :D

---------------------------------------------------

"Nichts ist trügerischer, als eine offenkundige Tatsache"

Sherlock's not dead
Corpses don't go to heaven
And he won't leave the flat
For less than a seven 

April 24, 2013 1:58 pm  #155

I'm from small village in Poland,but now I learn in the school with a dormitory in Toruń, I think, the most beuatiful of Polish towns.
I'm happy to say that I visited Baker Street 221B when I was in London about 8 years ago. 

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

April 24, 2013 7:27 pm  #156

I'm half-Polish and I would love to go there someday.

April 25, 2013 5:15 am  #157

Hi all i live in lincolnshire England but originaly from hertfordshire  

April 25, 2013 9:23 am  #158

Where Martin lives.  Hertfordshire, that is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 25, 2013 5:20 pm  #159

Davina wrote:

Where Martin lives. Hertfordshire, that is.

My nan/uncles and auntys live 15 miles from martin :-) one day i may bump into him.
I wish 

May 4, 2013 8:17 pm  #160

im from a small town in wiltshire, england, highlights include a morrisons and a few hills. a very exciting place of course.

theres a lot of europeans on this forum!

ask me about taking programming in college

Board footera