BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2012 11:24 am  #101

Re: Tell us what part of the world you come from

Worth researching. Some small places, such as some Pacific Islands and African states have an enormous number of different languages and dialects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 30, 2012 11:53 am  #102

Davina wrote:

In real life yes although I can hear that he has modified it somewhat from how he would have spoken at Harrow. It is not as highly prized (if that is the correct phrase) as it once was. To be an announcer or presenter on radio of television, having a regional accent is no longer a hindrance.. It can be a hindrance to speak too poshly 'with a plum in your mouth', 'a plummy accent' etc. that way lies being labelled as a 'Hurrah Henry' or a 'Sloan Ranger'. Equally however it is also socially hindering to speak in an accent, or so poorly, that other people cannot understand you. 

What the heck is received pronunciation?  I've never heard of it.

What was that fakey upper crust accent he put on for his role in Atonement? Godawful-- to me, that's "posh". I presume that's perceived as rather old-fashioned these days-- the movie was set in the late 1930s I believe.

July 30, 2012 12:55 pm  #103

The accent he used in Atonement, as the one he used in War Horse was completely correct for the time the film was set. Doubtless a voice/accent coach would have helped with this.

Some information on Received Pronunciation (RP):

www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/find-out-more/received-pronunciation/

www.bbc.co.uk/voices/yourvoice/feature2_4.shtml

Last edited by Davina (July 30, 2012 1:03 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 30, 2012 1:46 pm  #104

Davina wrote:

The accent he used in Atonement, as the one he used in War Horse was completely correct for the time the film was set. Doubtless a voice/accent coach would have helped with this.

Ooookay. Interesting. And I will never forget the awkward sauce made Paul pause.  That is a great sentence, no matter how you pronounce it.

Yes, you're right, he had the same accent in WH as he did in Atonement. Didn't like that either, lol. Do folks still talk like that, in certain circles? We see the BBC continuing drama Downton Abbey here, and those posh people don't talk like BC did in those two movies. But it's set earlier, in about 1910-1920ish, so maybe that matters. Or maybe the region they lived in matters. No idea.

Listening to that pronouncing tutorial, it occurs to me that it's a wonder Brits and Americans can even understand each other. Good lord.

July 30, 2012 2:43 pm  #105

I don't watch Downton (no idea why not really) but I suspect that for the purposes of this series they would have decided not to go with authentic accents for the period. RP from those times sounds extremely clipped and overly posh to our ears nowadays. Generally few, if any, people talk like that nowadays, not even those who are terribly terribly well-spoken. I did find a really good but highly technical article from University College London but I cannot get the link to work. This goes into depth on exactly how and where RP has changed over the last century.

July 31, 2012 2:34 am  #106

Davina wrote:

Thank you so much! I'm greatly interested in RP and looked through a lot of info already.  Your links are extremely interesting to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

July 31, 2012 2:54 am  #107

So,  people who use RP (however did it get that name?), are the same ones who would say "Fanshaw" for "Featherstone?"

July 31, 2012 2:56 am  #108

I would love to hear how the Boss and Davina and Kazaa got together and how the forum got started. The story is probably buried somewhere in old posts, but I would love a recap. And do you ever plan to meet or have you ever met in person?

September 12, 2012 5:45 pm  #109

Bumpety bump! Lots of new members you can just do the poll at the start if you don't want to say where you are from in a post.

January 7, 2013 6:26 pm  #110

I'm the second person from the Benelux :D Not completely alone! I'm from Belgium.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 7, 2013 6:48 pm  #111

American over here. Always wanted to visit Ireland though, I'm part Irish. Sorry, random.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You're so nice
You're not good, you're not bad
You're just nice

I'm not good, I'm not nice
I'm just right
I'm the witch
You're the world" - The Witch, Into the Woods

January 7, 2013 7:31 pm  #112

Jayie wrote:

American over here. Always wanted to visit Ireland though, I'm part Irish. Sorry, random.

Do you mind saying where in the US, even if just generallly?

January 8, 2013 2:27 pm  #113

Sherlockians are really everywhere. But glad to know that here are people from Germany too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 8, 2013 10:50 pm  #114

Am I the only Finn around here?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

January 23, 2013 2:46 pm  #115

I am from Shropshire... The most boring place in the world!! That is all

------------------------------------------------------------
Take your time to observe... you never know what you will see.

January 23, 2013 3:54 pm  #116

I'm from France, anybody else?

January 23, 2013 4:01 pm  #117

sherlock's stalemate wrote:

I am from Shropshire... The most boring place in the world!! That is all

Shropshire - reminding me of "The Importance of Being Earnest".

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 23, 2013 7:34 pm  #118

I'm home in the country of the real Reichenbach Falls  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

February 2, 2013 12:07 pm  #119

pitagor wrote:

I'm home in the country of the real Reichenbach Falls  

That's cool! Have you seen them yet?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 2, 2013 4:41 pm  #120

Yes, when I was a little, little child-so I can't remember... But this year lelli and I will have a trip to go there. I'm sure it will be amazing! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

Board footera