BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2012 12:25 am  #1

Hello from Seattle, WA, USA

Finally have a minute to stop and say hi!  What with my work, my agility dogs and obsessively re-watching episodes of this wonderful series, I haven't been able to take the time. 

My obsession:  When I first saw aSiP in 2010, I was still too captivated by Jeremy Brett's SH to appreciate the concept of a modern remake.  I had recently re-discovered the Grenada series.  Last month, while on a road trip, I found myself looking for something to do in the motel before going to sleep.  The Hounds of Baskerville was showing on PBS and I loved it.  Had to catch the next episode the next week and Martin Freeman broke my heart!  Once I started to look into the back story, I realized just how much Moffitt and Gatiss had put into this project and heard for the first time that it was their "vanity project".

I love watching how much care and thought has obviously been put into this project by everyone involved.  I also love catching something very subtle in dialogue or character behavior and being pretty certain that it was done intentionally.  It's kind of foolish to get caught up with what was really just a continuity error, don't you think?  I've watched all the episodes several time and continue to pick up something extremely satisfying, like John's limp as he walks away from the grave, or the realization that John's reply to "Use your imagination" is not just a throw-away line.

Have a new favorite actor and a renewed interest in seeing The Hobbit this Dec.

Fetchinketch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 17, 2012 12:48 am  #2

Re: Hello from Seattle, WA, USA

Welcome Fetchinketch! This is a great group of people and a fun place. Most of the euros are sleeping now but you will get a warm reception tomorrow Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 17, 2012 12:56 am  #3

Hiya Fetch, welcome aboard our Tragical Mystery Tour bus.
Keep your head & arms inside the window and please do not embark until we've come to at least the fifth series.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 17, 2012 4:44 am  #4

Hey, welcome! I've been to Seattle a few times. Very nice (when the sun breaks through .) You'll have fun here.
I can't say enough about BC as Sherlock -- he's fabulous. But I don't think MF gets as much credit as he deserves. That graveside scene is heartbreaking. Beautiful writing beautifully delivered. (Ditto the "I don't have to" line.)

June 17, 2012 5:18 am  #5

Good morning from Europe, Fetchinketch, and welcome to the Sherlock continent that never sleeps!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 17, 2012 9:48 am  #6

One euro finally got up and switched on the computer  . So welcome, Fetchinketch, great to have you here.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 17, 2012 4:23 pm  #7

Welcome!  The more the merrier, and with people in so many different time zones, there's bound to be something new to read whenever you log on.  Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 18, 2012 1:46 am  #8

Welcome ! = )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 18, 2012 1:53 pm  #9

Welcome on board Fetchinketch!!

My favourite thing about Seattle is the 'Ducks'.

Don't know if you've ever been on em' - but they [i]can be[/b] extremely fun (And educational!)

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 18, 2012 4:04 pm  #10

Hi and welcome FetchinKetch.  I watched your agility dog video yesterday.  You have my complete admiration for the patience and love it must take to get a dog to run that course so perfectly and obediently.  I've seen these competitions on TV. At what level are you competing?  It looks to me like you could be at the highest level.

We are all crazy in love Sherlock people here.  I too am with you when it comes to analyzing the lines and looking for the subtleties and subtext in the dialogue.  I am of the opinion that every choice made by either the actors or writers is deliberate and that nothing is thrown away. I'm also of the opinion that the writers are deliberately ambigious at times allowing us our own interpretations in a way I've never seen done by a show before.  One of the main reasons I love it!  Welcome again. You've found a home here.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 18, 2012 7:18 pm  #11

Hi Fetch - thanks for joining the forum, I'm sure you'll have loads of fun here!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 18, 2012 8:34 pm  #12

Hello and welcome!

I also love watching scenes over and over again and noticing subtle things...
There is so much detail in Sherlock that you really can't notice all of it the first time and in a way I guess it's... honouring their work :D

June 18, 2012 8:57 pm  #13

hey fetch!!   you  won your round in the IMAGE  posting thread over on the quizzing section.   

That said,  I  used to live in washington state,  near Seattle--  I went to school there.   No  I  don't know what anyone means about the DUCKS  tho--  but  i do  know about the space needle!!   THAT  was my  favorite part of Seattle.   Yeah  It  rained  most of the time I lived there.   so  I'm an american...welcome to our merry group  of sherlock misfits.   HAHAAHHA     new name for our group, eh?    Tragical Mystery Tour  Bus,  indeed!!   Hop on!!   

The mods here should use our little  made up group names for  our member titles.  (under your name...where it says WRONG!! )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 29, 2012 5:31 pm  #14

A little belated, but Welcome, fellow American!

Washington's one of only 5 states I haven't seen--so far away! : )

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 29, 2012 7:05 pm  #15

F&K - I've been meaning to write that I appreciate your thoughtful posts.
Also, anyone who does not know why a banana slug is called a banana slug will know when he sees one. What's that Washington slogan: "Slugs, they're not just for breakfast anymore"?

Board footera