BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2012 6:59 pm  #1

Does anyone on this site suffer from depression?

Is anyone interested in discussing depression? It is something I suffer from and I was wondering if you might as well? Reading and posting here really helps me and often makes me laugh out loud.

If this is an inappropriate thread, Moriarity made me do it by strapping explosives to one of my cats!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 16, 2012 7:12 pm  #2

Re: Does anyone on this site suffer from depression?

I think I might be 'depressed' if it's a thing in-and-of itself.

Boredom and suicide often fill the gaps when I'm not doing something.

I'm not sure it's uncommon though as I can tease it out of others quite easily - I think it's just being alive and capable.

I welcome any other opinions though, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Great topic hepzibah!! I think we'll find depression is a major epidemic and hopefully share ways of dealing with it.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 16, 2012 7:27 pm  #3

I don't suffer from it myself but my mother and my brother do. I think everything that helps you is fine and laughter can be very healthy. And getting into contact with people who share your interests is a great thing, even if it happens in a virtual Internet forum. All the best for you  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 16, 2012 7:30 pm  #4

When I was at the doctor's office couple years ago she said I seem to be depressed and recommended getting antidepressants, but I said no thanks.I've had shit in my life in the last few years that make me feel blue most of the time, but I'm not sure if I'd call it depression per se. Or then I can't admit it. I do admit it's difficult to get excited over things nowadays and I spent most of my time home alone, watching movies. I'm glad I have several best friends who I know I can always confide in and whom I can trust, so there's always that if things seem to get too bad.

It's really sad that the state of younger kids is so bleek at the present. Suicides and school shootings and such have rapidly increased here in the last decade and people seem to be more prone to go and do stupid things like shoot strangers in the street and so on. But I know there are people less fortunate than me so I try not to make a big deal out of feeling blue.

I do think this topic is a good idea, if it helps people open up for their own will and hearing other people's stories alleviates the depression.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 16, 2012 7:41 pm  #5

There is a wonderful Aussie site called beyondblue.org.au which has a checklist so you can see if you suffer from depression. I did the test a few nights ago.
If you get a score of 3 or more, they suggest you see a doctor. I scored 20. So I went to my doctor and she is going to change my medication and find a councellor for me.

Dramagod, with all due respect and affection, I think you may have depression. Don't be afraid of taking anti-depressants. They have literally saved my life. I have been taking them for 20 years and I wouldn't be here now without them. I have had a huge amount of extra stress in the last few weeks and have come really, really close to the edge. Only my anti-depressants (and my cats) have kept me alive.

And just as another bonus, I'm pretty sure I suffer from Asbergers Syndrome as well!

It really helps discussing this with people who understabd and empathise. Thanks guys.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

June 16, 2012 7:50 pm  #6

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking anti-depressants, that's not what I meant. I just don't think I need them at the moment. I don't have suicidal thoughts or anything like that. I just feel like the future might not be that bright for me. Meaning that I would suddenly find the love of my life, have a family, get a job and so on. But like I said I have lots of friends who will help me if for some reason things would get too bad. And I have my music, which is my way of channeling my thoughts and feelings into music and lyrics and I've noticed it helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 16, 2012 7:57 pm  #7

Obviously, you know yourself best. Maybe you could do some research, there is this thing called the internet, I think, which has lots of info about all sorts of topics  . Any bad situation that goes on for too long is dangerous. Have a look around, you might find something helpful.

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

June 16, 2012 8:18 pm  #8

Thanks for your concern, but I'm just fine and dandy as it is, hep. I tried to find the test in that link you posted but couldn't find it. Besides, I have you girls here now. What's there to be worried about when I'm surrounded by a bunch of lovely ladies. Can't complain.

June 16, 2012 8:59 pm  #9

For the tests there is this one and the one which I think hepzibah took which is this one.

Pretty generic tests - but could be indicators of depression I suppose. Medicine isn't really my field.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 16, 2012 9:02 pm  #10

Yes, yes, thank you m0r1arty, that is the correct one (I really must learn how to tag things!), For the record, you aren't the Moriarity who strapped explosives to my cat, it was the other one.

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

June 16, 2012 9:09 pm  #11

m0r1arty wrote:

For the tests there is this one and the one which I think hepzibah took which is this one.

Pretty generic tests - but could be indicators of depression I suppose. Medicine isn't really my field.

-m0r

I got 6 from the first and 14 from the second. But these things aren't accurate of course as people vary.

June 17, 2012 12:54 pm  #12

My mother suffers from severe clinical depression. She had a breakdown when she was young, was ok for a long time, and another breakdown about 30 years ago, was then ok for years but has been bad again with it for the last 3 years. It is, in her case very debilitating. In her case she gets bad when very stressful things, like illness, operations or life changes come about. She doesn't adapt easily. She sometimes refuses her medication which in her case makes her much worse. With cases as severe as hers then a lot of professional help is needed.

However, I think it is proved that being physically active can really help with depressive illness. Getting out in the fresh air, raising your heart rate etc. Of course medication and counselling also have a part to play.

For all those of you who suffer from this debilitating illness in one of its various forms, I wish you well...literally.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 17, 2012 1:59 pm  #13

I am not sure if I can call it depression, but lately I have been feeling quite sad and unmotivated mainly because the situation my country is in and the way it's affecting not only my life and work but the lives and works of the people I love. I've been feeling as if I had not found my real place in this world and as if I had taken a lot of wrong decissions during my life that have put me in this situation... Though technically I know it's not all my fault, but I still can't help but think about it. I wouldn't go so far as call it depression, but it makes me feel really bad and with no real illusion for many things.
But I guess (and hope) it will pass

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 17, 2012 2:56 pm  #14

I don't have depression but my Dad and sister do. My Dad has had it for ages and my Mum told me about it when I was 7. It can be quite scary sometimes as he gets more angry than sad
My sister was diagnosed with it quite recently (she also has Asperger's) and she has the sad kind, she cries sometimes in school. It's a bit better now but a year ago it was pretty awful...

This is a really good topic and I really impressed at how honest everyone is I don't know if I'd be able to do this if it was me with the illness!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 9, 2012 12:44 am  #15

I have just found this thread.   Wonder why I didn't see it before?

I  too have suffered from depression  most of my life,  mainly cos  I  have a rotten hearing loss.   Ok  it's progressive,  but I like the word rotten better.   Sometimes  my  aids don't even work properly.  Anyway,  I've been on a NUMBER  of anti depressants  over the years.   Some of them...I  took,  and then my nose started itching really bad. So I had to try something else till I got it right.    Then   I  started with anxiety  problems,  that too is a result  of my hearing loss. Sudden  noises  or  THUMPS  make me start.  (Start what?,  you may ask--Answer--I  dunno!!)  I  was born hearing impaired.   I too don'[t have many personal friends,  but  hey--I've got enough to satisfy me for now.   And chatting on message boards  helps me too.  I'm grateful to the mods here for allowing this thread.   

And how has YOUR day been?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 9, 2012 3:57 am  #16

I've bounced from one episode of depression to another (about every two years, it seems). I've spent the last ten years trying to work out the best ways to manage my mental health and now have some strategies in place to help keep me floating.

Be careful about using online tools to diagnose yourselves, though. You should always see a Doctor if you have concerns about your mood. And remember, if shitty stuff is going on in your life then it's normal to feel down. It doesn't mean you have depression.

Also, there are ways to manage your depression (if you have it) or just your general mental wellbeing without medication; sometimes you need it (and I do, sometimes, take medication when necessary) but sometimes you can manage without. Just another gentle reminder that mental health is never a one-size-fits-all, so be wary of giving advice or accepting advice from people who are pushing an agenda, or who don't know you/your symptoms very well.

Great thread, Hep

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

July 9, 2012 5:25 pm  #17

Yeah,  I've found good ways to manage ,my  well-being,  you're right about  not  diagnosing others wholocked,  sound advice.    But it's just nice to know that you are not alone.   

I've heard of an old saying---"Depression is Anger turned inwards"   I  am  wondering  does this phrase have an element of truth in it?   Thoughts,  anyone?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 9, 2012 5:49 pm  #18

"Anger turned inwards".... anger towards whom? Myself? Somebody else? "The world?"
I often think I may have some kind of depression. Maybe it is some kind of anger towards myself. I often have the feeling I did everything wrong. At least my parents often told me when I was a child and later the doctors. Everything seems to be my fault. Although I know this can't be right, it creeps into my mind from some hidden corner from time to time. So I guess this thought "MY fault! I'm doing wrong! I'm lazy! I should do this! And that!" is somehow always on my mind.
Had some talks to a psychotherapist and she managed to make some things easier for me. So I force myself here and then to remember her words.
(She needed several hours to notice that something's wrong with me, because to the outside I am an opened, happy and funny person... I didn't know until then that I am such a good actor; I didn't meant to be, though...)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 9, 2012 6:59 pm  #19

Have you ever watched 'Good Will Hunting'?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 9, 2012 7:01 pm  #20

Nope. And now don't tell me that was another mistake!    

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera