BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2012 4:30 pm  #61

Re: IOU and it's potential meaning(s)

Yes. "Careful now" and "Down with this sort of thing" are how I feel about comparing 'Doctor Who' and 'Sherlock'.

Although Moffat has stated that there are apparently clues there, between both, if you can see them.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 6, 2012 9:10 pm  #62

m0r1arty wrote:

Yes. "Careful now" and "Down with this sort of thing" are how I feel about comparing 'Doctor Who' and 'Sherlock'.

Although Moffat has stated that there are apparently clues there, between both, if you can see them.

-m0r

What? There are clues? Watching both if you watch one should be optional, not required in order to understand it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 7, 2012 2:31 am  #63

I don't think it's required SLA, just Moffat teasing his usual trollish self.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 8, 2012 8:56 pm  #64

m0r1arty wrote:

I don't think it's required SLA, just Moffat teasing his usual trollish self.

-m0r

I scream his name like a cry for vengeance every time I watch DW or Sherlock. My younger sister is convinced that I am actually filled with murderous fury towards him.

That said, I amend my previous comment. Personally, I prefer Sherlock to Doctor Who. If I'm going to sit down one afternoon and rewatch a BBC show, something like 4/5 times it will be Sherlock. It really depends on the kind of person you are. I do love Doctor Who, though. Just ever so slightly less than Sherlock.

I'm kind of drifting away from the idea of IOU with this comment, but back on topic somewhat. I checked out The Annotated Brothers Grimm from the library this afternoon and read Hansel and Gretel. One thing really nags me about it. It's probably nothing, but assuming Steve Thompson did his homework (and assuming Sherlock knows), the children were actually abandoned by both their father and their stepmother. It was, in fact, originally the stepmother's idea to leave them in the forest. Sherlock says in the show, "two children abandoned by their father in the forest." I'm reading through the tales to see if there are any other clues, but to be frank I don't have much hope.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 8, 2012 9:03 pm  #65

It is the father that takes them into the forest and abandons them there though, at the step-mother's instigation.
There is a thread in this section which goes into this a bit.
Hansel and Gretel-the names- pure chance! Back on April 26th. Might be of interest to you.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 9, 2012 1:20 am  #66

I've got to Skype you or something Davina!

You are a real champion and yet lack a few skills which would make you the end game winner.

My username on Skype is 'm0r1arty' and if you don't know what Skype is...then really...ha ha ha...that was sardonic in case you thought otherwise.

-m0r

June 9, 2012 7:40 am  #67

Only a few skills???  I have used Skype but I'm going to have to brush up on using it as it was over a year ago and the attic of my brain has filed away that information. Give me a while and I'll work on it! Goes to Mind Palace

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 21, 2012 8:22 pm  #68

A strange idea came to my mind.

You said about fall from the grace and literal fall, yet no one thought about this:

Sherlock was on the side of angels but once he admitted he's Mortiarty he became fallen angel. He said he could do everything to make Jim speak.
You mentioned the black wings with the IOU text. Maybe Moriarty didn't want Sherlock to jump but to join him on dark side?
Or replace, since Moriarty killed himself.
Sherlock could have do nothing, confirming his transfer to dark side, or jump from the building. Either way - he had to fall. And that was Moriarty's plan and ultimate problem. Sherlock must be not boring or gone. Maybe Moriarty saw in that very scene that if Holmes becomes evil he'll outwit him and there's no reason for living along?
Holmes however, found third way. After all, that's how he works

To live here and now, before and after.
To live before life, and after life to live.
To live while dying, and to die living.
To cry under your smile, laughing between tears.[JR]

July 22, 2012 1:46 am  #69

Ethan wrote:

A strange idea came to my mind.

You said about fall from the grace and literal fall, yet no one thought about this:

Sherlock was on the side of angels but once he admitted he's Mortiarty he became fallen angel. He said he could do everything to make Jim speak.
You mentioned the black wings with the IOU text. Maybe Moriarty didn't want Sherlock to jump but to join him on dark side?
Or replace, since Moriarty killed himself.
Sherlock could have do nothing, confirming his transfer to dark side, or jump from the building. Either way - he had to fall. And that was Moriarty's plan and ultimate problem. Sherlock must be not boring or gone. Maybe Moriarty saw in that very scene that if Holmes becomes evil he'll outwit him and there's no reason for living along?
Holmes however, found third way. After all, that's how he works

This has been mentioned before somewhere. I don't believe it. You don't "fall" to the dark side, you "step over".
Also I don't think Moriarty's ego would allow him to ever really ask Sherlock to join him; nor is Sherlock ever going to consider it, that would be condescending to Moriarty's demands and that is something he would never do.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 23, 2012 1:11 pm  #70

Apologies if someone has already linked to it before, but this blog has a really crazy and detailed IOU theory. Quite interesting to read even if you don't agree with it. Personally I think their theorising is really clever and works out well, but it's far too over complicated to actually be true:

http://eva-christine.tumblr.com/post/27733467733/iou-explanation-53-8-92-grimms-fairy-tales-cipher

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 23, 2012 1:19 pm  #71

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Apologies if someone has already linked to it before, .....

You should have known better, lol.
But I'm not going looking for it, I think I posted it in the theory one ages ago during the great 'there's something metal in his hands debate' ; lmao!
Thanks boss, good to see the link again for a momentary diversion.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 26, 2012 4:55 pm  #72

I ansolutely loved this theory! I just think it is absolutely something Moftiss would think of and I squealed in excitement as I came to the part with the violinist tale.
In my opinion, it's perfect. Since I'm from Germany, I know a lot of Grimms' Tales and except for Little Snow White, of course; I didn't know these two. They're not even included in my personal book with their tales in it, and I believe if I asked my friends about famous Grimm tales, none of them would name those two. It's nothing anyone would go like 'Oh, obvious, those are absolutely popular tales' about and therefore I just... aah, I love the theory :D
I mean, come on, a violinist looking for a friend? There HAS to be a connection.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Tumblr (:
Own Sherlock Fan Forum

-

July 27, 2012 11:11 am  #73

That blog is so out there, there might be come truth to it!

July 29, 2012 1:35 am  #74

The blog entry is really interesting but seems a little forced. Why would Moriarty leave a clue to a message by referencing 3 distinct stories in Grimm? One would expect the reference to be more specific, a reference to a story a paragraph and a line number or sentence perhaps. The cipher in The Blind Banker referred to specific entries in the book, not to a collection of pages, and ultimately the blog argues the message would be written in invisible ink. One needs at most to realize there's a message in the book with the story number sufficing.

Also, the interpretations of the three stories are a bit stylized to fit the narrative of the theory. The King of Gold Mountain is about a boy who is inadvertently traded for wealth by his father and who ends up by boat on an island where he passes a trial to marry a princess. The princess, now queen, betrays him to marry another and he finds 3 magical items on his way back to her with which he kills her and the suitor.

Last edited by Lupin (July 29, 2012 1:47 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

July 29, 2012 10:11 am  #75

Lupin wrote:

The blog entry is really interesting but seems a little forced. Why would Moriarty leave a clue to a message by referencing 3 distinct stories in Grimm? One would expect the reference to be more specific, a reference to a story a paragraph and a line number or sentence perhaps. The cipher in The Blind Banker referred to specific entries in the book, not to a collection of pages, and ultimately the blog argues the message would be written in invisible ink. One needs at most to realize there's a message in the book with the story number sufficing.

Also, the interpretations of the three stories are a bit stylized to fit the narrative of the theory. The King of Gold Mountain is about a boy who is inadvertently traded for wealth by his father and who ends up by boat on an island where he passes a trial to marry a princess. The princess, now queen, betrays him to marry another and he finds 3 magical items on his way back to her with which he kills her and the suitor.

"A little forced " is putting it mildly,lol.
Considering a viewer will be able to see all the clues they need on the screen, I cannot see how a reference to a collection of fairy tales could be valid at all.
Apart from that, you could open any story in the story book & 'translate' its meaning to be about BBC Sherlock in some way or other. Hey, you could open a book called "Jaws" and translate its meaning/message into BBC Sherlock,lol! All you need is what we call 'the gift of the gab'.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 29, 2012 10:45 am  #76

I kind of discussed this blog with SusiGo some days ago.
Thought it was quite interesting, e.g the story of the violinist, the I O U as elements which numbers lead to the numbers of the fairytales...  I think it was in Baskerville where Sherlock already connected a letter to an element incl. its atomic number.
AND the collection of the Grimm fairytales was shown in TRF.
BUT the solution would be a book again, like London A-Z and this would be a repeat which would be kind of boring to me.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 29, 2012 11:03 am  #77

I think that's a crucial point there Mattlocked; because the book thing has been used before, fans get into this 'rut' and think that this is some major tool used by the criminal element. Very unlikely & as I said, you can make ANY book relate to a given scenario if you try hard enough. I'm waiting for someone to theorise that the book used is the Bible & the clues that this is the book used are everywhere "angels" etc,lol.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 29, 2012 11:18 am  #78

Or the London phonebook.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 29, 2012 11:20 am  #79

The Life of Brian?
I can see a few parallels with that one ... hehehe

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 29, 2012 11:48 am  #80

Something just came to my mind:
That scene in the lab.
Sherlock murmuring "IOU" in front of Molly while looking into the microscope.
Mental note, as he tells her? Not at all!

He knows the IOU carved into the apple is a warning meant for John as for a person Sherlock cares for.
The IOU opposite 221 Baker Street is meant likewise for Mrs Hudson.

Who else would Moriarty consider a weak point of Sherlock?
By confronting Molly with "IOU" Sherlock wants to find out whether Molly has got or seen an IOU recently as well, be it in a letter or by email or sprayed onto her flat. If it was so she certainly would say something like: "Oh, Sherlock, just as you mention it, something funny happened to me. Look, I got an email/a parcel/a photo with just these three letters in it…what's the point?"
As she doesn't say anything in this regard Sherlock can be sure that Molly is not taken into account as one of his weak points.

Later, when he sees the IOU in the windows opposite Scotland Yard he knows that the third person considered to be a friend he cares for must be Lestrade, not Molly.
By this he knows:
Molly is not in immediate threat of being killed by Moriarty and therefore can provide a possible assistance to his plans.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera