BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2012 4:03 am  #1

Christmas is cancelled at 221 B Baker

Sorry if Forum folk have already covered this topic on a thread I haven't found yet, but I would like to muse over the happy little Christmas party scene in Scandal.  I found it very telling. Again, those tricky writers have let us catch glimpses of character and character motivation on a variety of different levels - leaving any number of interesting ideas open to interpretation. I suppose the first level is the simple entertainment value of watching Sherlock use his razor sharp intellect to cut the guests to ribbons. In one way it is rather humorous - but it certainly is not very nice.  Okay, Sherlock is often 'not very nice' but this was perhaps a bit above and beyond even for him.  So why? Okay, on the next level we could say he is simply unhappy his home has been invaded for a social occasion.  Sherlock Holmes just doesn't party and it's pretty safe to say he loathes having his privacy invaded.  So why has he allowed this event to happen?  Most likely because John wanted it and John thought it would be good for them to have friends in and John talked him into it....John, John, John.  I can picture Sherlock trying every trick in the book to dissuade him from this nonsense but then giving in because, well, John wanted it. 

This is where my interpretation of events comes in and feel free to disagree.  It's the actor in me always looking for the subtext for my motivation.  Bad behavior just doesn't spring from nowhere. Something usually triggers it. Sherlock has gone along with the party grudgingly for John's sake but now here's Jeanette the girlfriend - a major threat to his comfortable domesticity. Whether he knows it or not, jealousy rears its ugly head.  Jeanette is the first to feel the cut. She's not the last.  Lastrade hears it about his 'cheating' wife. Then in comes poor Molly who innocently let's it slip that Sherlock has been complaining that John is going away to his sister's for the holiday. (Watch the scene and you'll see Ben's eyes flash angrily toward her when she says it).  Big mistake for her to reveal something so private. Sherlock lets her have it with both barrels wounding her deeply. Even he realizes he's gone too far and I loved the touching apology he gives her - surprising even John.  But then that embarrassing text tone from Irene happens and suddenly its John complaining about the number of texts Sherlock's been receiving - revealing he's been counting every one of them. Everything about this scene for me was very funny, very touching and very revealing about the characters.

Jealousy. For me, a major theme in ASiB and a lot of fun to muse on..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 16, 2012 5:44 am  #2

Re: Christmas is cancelled at 221 B Baker

Yeah....I  noticed those points too,  Keeper!!  I  think in his subconcious ways,  Sherlock IS jealous of people invading his space.  He accepts John,   Lestrade,  Molly,  and Mrs. hudson,  by themselves, (or one or two in a room is fine)   And he HAS to tolerate his older brother Mycroft, when he's there,  but....a whole party of all his 'friends' together----that just seems to be too much for him to cope with, I think.   I  didn't  like what he did with Molly  and Jeanette, not at all.   This only proves to me that Sherlock doesn't know how to be in social situations,  and he doesn't like large groups, either.   You can tell that,  like in TRF  when he's being thanked by large groups of ppl for the crimes he's solved.  I empathize with him in those situations; I too have trouble in large groups.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 16, 2012 6:15 am  #3

Sherlock 'allows' the party because he shares with John. And I actually very much doubt he had any casting vote in it; John is no wimp & he had every right to have a get together. Mrs Hudson would have been more than supportive in this.

His attitude was typical Sherlock. Always showing off his intellect regardless of who it hurts.
The only jealousy I would even consider was that of not being the centre of everyone's amazement really. He can't 'tone down' enough to just be 'one of the group'. He sees himself as being above them.

I very much doubt he would ever consider Jeanette a threat on any level, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 9:24 am  #4

KeepersPrice wrote:

Jealousy. For me, a major theme in ASiB and a lot of fun to muse on..

Yes. jealousy.
The Molly/Lestrade/Jeanette jealousy performances I consider side scenes adding to the central stage subject that is John and his jealousy.
I think John is surprised by the fact that he indeed is getting jealous of Irene.
His less convincing statement later on "We're not a couple!" ("…therefore I don't have the right to be jealous at all") shows that he begins to feel a little shaken of what he's been feeling towards Sherlock to date.
At the Christmas party, John's sees Sherlock apologizing to Molly – something that he might not have dreamt of ever to be happening. Later on in ASiB there will be that lovely scene in Mrs Hudson's kitchen where John will be happily smiling about Sherlock's behaviour towards Mrs Hudson.
The writers show us how Sherlock is gradually developing in the direction of getting more human. That makes him more vulnerable at the same time. In my opinion, John's adopting a stance over Irene that is a mixture of amusement (Sherlock's getting interested in a woman – good for him!), anger (she's going to hurt him) and a jealousy he can't explain to himself yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 16, 2012 11:29 am  #5

This is a nice topic. I think it is fair to read emotional clues in Sherlock along with the intellectual clues. Clearly M&G are leading us there. I sensed jealousy in this scene too. Sherlock has successfully blocked out emotion his whole life. John and Irene have gotten through his first line of defense and at least made him experience real feeling. He does not want John to go away because he enjoys having John along on he hunt and despite his protestations I think it feeds his ego to have someone to show off for. Sherlock may publicly decry emotion as weakness and he may do a brilliant job of hiding his own but he is chock full of unresolved emotion. If he weren't he would not be nearly as compelling a character

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 16, 2012 11:33 am  #6

Why is John going to go away?

So Sherlock wouldn't be as interesting a show without this perceived emotion? Sucks to be the canon then.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 12:12 pm  #7

John said he was going to go away for Christmas and apparently Sherlock had complained to Molly about it....Probably because Sherlock would get rather bored without John around.

I don't think Sherlock is jealous of John, and I don't think he even meant to put Jeanette down by calling her the "stupid teacher", that was just his way of remembering who she was...and it's probably a fact too. He didn't consciously set out to hurt her.

John counted the text messages because he is concerned for Sherlock as his friend, he knows Irene loves to play games and he's worried that Sherlock will get hurt by those games. I don't think he's actually jealous...he just doesn't particularly like Irene and thinks she's trouble, wants her to stay away from his friend.

Sherlock and John are best friends, they care about each other, even though Sherlock wouldn't always like to admit that. But they're not "in love" so they have no reason to be jealous...I don't get jealous of my friends, that would just be stupid. Careful not to confuse the realms of fan fic and roleplay with the actual reality of the show.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 16, 2012 12:42 pm  #8

The main problem Sherlock has with Jeanette is that she is 'boring'. I don't think Sherlock can see the whole point of Christmas and therefore cannot understand why John should choose to go away. It is all a bit of a mystery to him, or at least that is the outward appearance he gives. Look how incredibly grumpy he is at the start of the Christmas scene in the flat. He's like a stroppy teenager doing his best to spoil it (a bit) for other people.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 16, 2012 12:46 pm  #9

Davina wrote:

The main problem Sherlock has with Jeanette is that she is 'boring'. I don't think Sherlock can see the whole point of Christmas and therefore cannot understand why John should choose to go away. It is all a bit of a mystery to him, or at least that is the outward appearance he gives. Look how incredibly grumpy he is at the start of the Christmas scene in the flat. He's like a stroppy teenager doing his best to spoil it (a bit) for other people.

Wll he was trying to do something on the laptop; all that noise and carrying on .... hmmpphhf.
I don't blame him, a man's flat is his mind palace.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 12:52 pm  #10

Yes, I think he is definitely uncomfortable with all these people around. And I must admit I find it hard to watch what he does to Molly. Pure logic can be very cruel. But I love his apology as much as the one to John in Hounds just because reactions like these are rare and precious in him.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 16, 2012 12:54 pm  #11

Oh geez, I love the deducing of the Xmas present; I go into fits of laughter everytime. I did when I first saw it too; but that's just me I guess.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 1:15 pm  #12

Of course his deduction brilliant but … just think of Molly … poor girl … she's really doesn't have a knack for choosing the right men . By this I mean men who are not only brainy, sexy etc. etc. but who also appreciate her.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 16, 2012 1:51 pm  #13

Haha, it's a pretty cringeworthy moment...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 16, 2012 2:43 pm  #14

Great thread

The scenes with Molly and Lestrade were cringe-worthy, but complete true to character, and hilarious to watch. Sherlock definitely felt they were getting too close for comfort, and this was his defensive maneuver.
Actually, I meant to ask, does anyone think that Sherlock didn't know the red parcel was for him?

I agree with KeepersPrice on the jealousy, and I don't think you have to be in love or have any romantic feelings for someone to be jealous.
The line between "I care for my friend and don't want him to get hurt by this dangerous woman" and "I don't want my friend to spend all his time with her while I'm all alone" is surprisingly narrow at times, I speak from experience. John has invested a lot into this friendship, and he does not have many other friends. If Irene were to take this place in some way, why shouldn't he be upset?
Having said that, I don't think Sherlock was jealous of Jeanette, she was not impressive enough (in his eyes) to be seen as a threat.

Last edited by hypergreenfrog (June 16, 2012 2:43 pm)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

June 16, 2012 6:47 pm  #15

I am certain he didn't know the red parcel was for him. If you watch as he reads the label, or perhaps just a fraction later, he physically recoils slightly. The movement is mainly in his head, but he is obviously surprised. Another subtle piece of acting from Mr Cumberbatch.

June 16, 2012 7:50 pm  #16

kazza474 wrote:

Why is John going to go away?

So Sherlock wouldn't be as interesting a show without this perceived emotion? Sucks to be the canon then.

I don't agree that the canon portrays Sherlock as an emotionless automaton of a bore.He was animated and eccentric amd clearly had affection for Watson. He was also created in late Victorian England which surely tempered his portrayal .I also think that if we are going to consider violation of canon as blasphemous, we have far more than perceived emotion to rail against. This is a 21st century TV show based on the characters of ACD.It is not ACD.  I am not arguing for or against canon because the show and the original stories are equally wonderful and neither disrespects the other. But as far as what we have seen so far on this show and where it is going, in my opinion there are far too many clues and instances of Sherlock displaying emotion to conclude he experiences none. I for one hope more of his emotional  layers come to surface in the future.

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 16, 2012 8:06 pm  #17

I believe that to be right also. The question is then..Who does he think the present IS for? I think he assumes it is actually for John.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 17, 2012 4:44 pm  #18

Davina wrote:

I believe that to be right also. The question is then..Who does he think the present IS for? I think he assumes it is actually for John.

Wow, it never occurred to me that he might have thought it's for John. But wouldn't that have been even crueler, considering John's girl friend was present?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

June 17, 2012 5:49 pm  #19

Yes but remember he doesn't like John's girlfriend (she's boring) and he's got the hump about John going away for Christmas with her (he's been moaning about it to Molly). What would the effect have been if the present HAD been for John?

June 18, 2012 3:36 am  #20

My take on it is that Sherlock was uncomfortable that Molly referenced his complaints about John's plans.  If he's beginning to feel towards others, it must be a scary place to be.  He's vulnerable in a way he's never been, and was possibly appalled that Molly's statement screamed that fact to the others (or so it felt to him).  And when we're scared we often strike back.  I think he found strength in dazzling them with his deductive skills, bringing him back to a familiar and secure place. I don't think he realized how deeply he was shredding Molly.

Board footera