BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2013 6:07 am  #101

Re: All Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock stories.

kittykat wrote:

Then I read the Bruce-Partington Plans. I really enjoyed that, and I noticed that most of it was used in TGG and I liked that

It also happens to be Mark Gatiss' favourite story, I wonder why...

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

August 21, 2013 6:16 am  #102

Is it?
I wonder why, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 21, 2013 1:12 pm  #103

the_dancing_woman wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Then I read the Bruce-Partington Plans. I really enjoyed that, and I noticed that most of it was used in TGG and I liked that

It also happens to be Mark Gatiss' favourite story, I wonder why...

To be honest, when I see Mycroft in the canon I can't picture Mark playing him. Mycroft is said to be very, um...large, and Mark is anything but...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 21, 2013 4:09 pm  #104

Mycroft just doesn't appear very often in the canon. But I really love how Sherlock describes him or rather his position in the British government in the "Bruce-Partington Plans". They have made ample use of the basic ideas Conan Doyle provides in this story. Gatiss-Mycroft's job description seems to be pretty much in line with it.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

August 21, 2013 4:32 pm  #105

Right, they took that also from "the private life of SH" with Christopher Lee as Mycroft Holmes. "The private life of SH" served as an inspiration for quite a few little twists in BBC's Sherlock, and rightly so. It is just a wonderful film.

August 21, 2013 11:22 pm  #106

Just read The Dying Detective and Lady Frances Carfax.

Not much to say about the second one, but the first was great!  

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 22, 2013 11:21 pm  #107

Two more stories tonight.

I read the Devil's Foot; what they did was very dangerous!

Then I read His Last Bow...didn't get it until they turned up just like that! 

August 23, 2013 5:52 pm  #108

So, if you've been reading the stories in publication order, all that remains for you now is "The Case-Book Of Sherlock Holmes", you are a fast reader.
I am rereading the canon myself. For a while I was right up with you. But now you've clearly overtaken me  (terribly stressful week at work), I am reading "The Devil's Foot" at the moment, as it is my quiet night in.

August 23, 2013 6:01 pm  #109

Yep, just the case book left

August 24, 2013 12:54 am  #110

Just read The Illustrious Client, Bruner is another nasty piece of work! He deserved what he got...

August 25, 2013 12:21 am  #111

Read Blanched Soldier. Weird not having John around, but good story anyway. Didn't expect that little twist right at the end!

August 25, 2013 10:36 pm  #112

Just read Mazarin Stone, that was good! Love it when Sherlock catches people in a trap!

August 27, 2013 12:09 am  #113

Read Three Gables. Interesting, I guess...

August 27, 2013 4:14 pm  #114

I reread "the blanched soldier" yesterday. Yes, not having John Watson around is odd, as we all know he is the voice of the heart translating Holmes to make him accessible to normal people.
But I enjoyed the journey into Holmes' mind, wouldn't mind having a few more stories related by SH himself for a bit of first hand information on the workings of his brain .
But on the long run, it definitely wouldn't have worked at all had Conan Doyle had Sherlock Holmes narrate his own adventures. Conan Doyle truly was a genius in realising that right from the start and creating John Watson right along with Holmes.

I am reading "the adventure of the Mazarin stone" at the moment

August 28, 2013 12:37 am  #115

Read The Sussex Vampire. I liked that one and knew there had to be a rational explanation for it...

August 29, 2013 11:48 pm  #116

Read Three Garridebs. Evil man, shooting our John! 

But I did figure out by myself that he wanted the other one out of the house for some reason 

August 30, 2013 11:42 pm  #117

Just read Thor Bridge. Interesting mystery

September 1, 2013 12:25 am  #118

Read The Creeping Man. Very odd indeed! But Iliked the telegram that was sent with the "Come at once if covenient. If inconvenient come all the same" that was used in ASiP 

September 1, 2013 7:16 am  #119

the_dancing_woman wrote:

I reread "the blanched soldier" yesterday. Yes, not having John Watson around is odd, as we all know he is the voice of the heart translating Holmes to make him accessible to normal people.
But I enjoyed the journey into Holmes' mind, wouldn't mind having a few more stories related by SH himself for a bit of first hand information on the workings of his brain .
But on the long run, it definitely wouldn't have worked at all had Conan Doyle had Sherlock Holmes narrate his own adventures. Conan Doyle truly was a genius in realising that right from the start and creating John Watson right along with Holmes.

I am reading "the adventure of the Mazarin stone" at the moment

This is actually one of my favorite stories, it is way underrated in my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

September 1, 2013 11:54 pm  #120

Just read The Lion's Mane. I honestly was not expecting that outcome!

Board footera