BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2013 12:31 am  #81

Re: All Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock stories.

Just read Six Napoleons and Three Students. Both good little stories, I think the first could work as an episode.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 14, 2013 7:11 am  #82

holmes23 wrote:

Jacco111 wrote:

..it is obvious that Holmes changed after the hiatus

It never occurred to me that there was no record of Holmes playing violin after the hiatus. That's something I don't want to see adopted in the show, coz I love watching Sherlock play violin.

He is actually only mentioned playing it in 'A Study in Scarlet'.

In the 'Cardboard Box' however (post hiatus) he mentions having bought a Stradivarius, that indicates that he is still playing the violin. And I always thought about the 'fake violin' scene in 'The Mazarin Stone' as a musical piece being pre-recorded by Holmes, but reading about the development of Phonographs in that time, it seems almost impossible. 

Last edited by Jacco111 (August 14, 2013 7:13 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

August 14, 2013 10:30 am  #83

My bad, he does indeed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 14, 2013 2:30 pm  #84

Jacco111 wrote:

In the 'Cardboard Box' however (post hiatus) he mentions having bought a Stradivarius, that indicates that he is still playing the violin.  

But most scholars assign it a date off 1889, hence pre hiatus,

August 14, 2013 7:16 pm  #85

Okay, but the fact that Conan-Doyle wrote it after the hiatus indicates that he himself didn't make Holmes quit the violin on purpose. 

Anyway, his musical interests haven't faded away, as is seen in 'The Bruce Partington Plans' taking place in late November 1895.

August 15, 2013 12:35 am  #86

Just read Golden Pince-Nez and Missing Three-Quarter. Not much to say except that I enjoyed them, but I notice that the second touched on Sherlock's drug use  

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 16, 2013 1:27 pm  #87

I just finished rereading "the valley of fear". This story always gets to me, it is so oppressive and sinister, but superbly crafted.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

August 16, 2013 1:48 pm  #88

I'll be reading that either tonight or tomorrow, can't wait

I'm over halfway through the big book now. I've read Study in Scarlet, Sign of Four, Adventures, Memoirs, most of Return (just two stories left), and also Hound of the Baskervilles.

Last edited by kittykat (August 16, 2013 1:48 pm)

August 16, 2013 1:58 pm  #89

Wow! You've covered quite a lot so far! But the stories are truly addictive. Once you start reading one it's hard to stop, even knowing how they end, they just tend to suck you in.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

August 16, 2013 2:12 pm  #90

I know! I do try to work things out before the end, and I just feel stupid compared to Sherlock

August 16, 2013 3:41 pm  #91

We all are!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 17, 2013 2:47 am  #92

Just read Abbey Grange and Second Stain, interesting little mysteries. Will start reading Valley of Fear tomorrow

August 17, 2013 4:00 am  #93

kittykat wrote:

Ah, right. I can just see the look on John's face when Sherlock tells him he's engaged

so agree!   I loved the blackmailer Charles Augustus Milverton,  LOVED the Sherlock engagement,
and some funny stuff  from Lestrade.   I kept picturing parts of this story visually,  enjoying the
cleverness,  and can't wait to see it  (okay,  *if* we ever get to) 

August 17, 2013 1:29 pm  #94

jenosborn wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Ah, right. I can just see the look on John's face when Sherlock tells him he's engaged

so agree!   I loved the blackmailer Charles Augustus Milverton,  LOVED the Sherlock engagement,
and some funny stuff  from Lestrade.   I kept picturing parts of this story visually,  enjoying the
cleverness,  and can't wait to see it  (okay,  *if* we ever get to) 

I have just decided to reread "the Bruce-Partington Plans" adventure and then I will have another go at the Charles Augustus Milverton story. It is definitely one of my favourite stories in both the description of the black mailer and his actions and the deeds of our heroes. I love the moment when Watson makes it clear he will under no circumstances abandon Holmes and let him break into Milverton's house alone.

There is a Baker Street Babes Milverton appreciation podcast by the way. I will listen to it when I have reread the story and (hopefully) find the time to do so:

http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/show/bakerstreetbabes/id/2437615

August 18, 2013 3:31 am  #95

Just read The Valley of Fear. Loved the first half, great mystery. Wasn't expecting Jack Douglas to be alive!

The second half reminds me of the backstory of A Study in Scarlet, equally fascinating.

But something puzzles me. They talk about how Moriarty is behind everything. So is this story set before the Final Problem? Because in that one John states that he's never heard of Moriarty. It can't be set after, because Moriarty's dead by that point...

August 18, 2013 6:15 am  #96

kittykat wrote:

Just read The Valley of Fear. Loved the first half, great mystery. Wasn't expecting Jack Douglas to be alive!

The second half reminds me of the backstory of A Study in Scarlet, equally fascinating.

But something puzzles me. They talk about how Moriarty is behind everything. So is this story set before the Final Problem? Because in that one John states that he's never heard of Moriarty. It can't be set after, because Moriarty's dead by that point...

The story is set before "The final problem" and, no, there isn't really a good explanation for this other than Conan Doyle being a tiny bit inconsistent.
As Steven Moffat has pointed out, it's quite a surprise there isn't so much more of this, given the offhandish/slapdash manner in which he wrote most of his stories.

August 18, 2013 2:01 pm  #97

Ah, I see. I just thought it was weird considering how John says in The Final Problem that he's never heard of Moriarty...

August 19, 2013 12:34 am  #98

Just read Wysteria Lodge and Cardboard Box. Strange little mysteries...

August 19, 2013 8:49 am  #99

kittykat wrote:

Just read Wysteria Lodge and Cardboard Box. Strange little mysteries...

Both of them are quite evil, esp. the Cardboard Box with the cut off ears being sent to the sister of the murdered woman. I remember continuously mixing up the three sisters when I read the story for the first time.

August 21, 2013 12:23 am  #100

Two more stories tonight. I read the Red Circle, which was very strange...

Then I read the Bruce-Partington Plans. I really enjoyed that, and I noticed that most of it was used in TGG and I liked that

Board footera