BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 9, 2013 6:34 pm  #61

Re: All Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock stories.

I hope you have read The Empty House by this time and are in peace of mind. BTW any thoughts on FINA?

August 9, 2013 9:06 pm  #62

I'm reading Hound of the Baskervilles next and then Empty House.

I did like the parallels to Reichenbach, like John being called away. But at least in TRF he got to talk to Sherlock before it happened

One thing that shocked me about Final Problem is how Moriarty actively tries to kill Sherlock before the confrontation, like how he is nearly hit by a cab or having bricks dropped on him. That was creepy! Moriarty seems scary in a different way compared to the show...I think Jim finds the whole situation faintly amusing, to watch Sherlock react to his plot. This Moriarty in the story just seems determined to get rid of Sherlock in a more permanent way

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 10, 2013 3:29 am  #63

Just read Hound, spooky stuff for sure! I enjoyed recognising the names that were in the show and the parallels, as well as the explanation for the hound itself. Good story

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 10, 2013 1:20 pm  #64

kittykat wrote:

One thing that shocked me about Final Problem is how Moriarty actively tries to kill Sherlock before the confrontation, like how he is nearly hit by a cab or having bricks dropped on him. That was creepy! Moriarty seems scary in a different way compared to the show...I think Jim finds the whole situation faintly amusing, to watch Sherlock react to his plot. This Moriarty in the story just seems determined to get rid of Sherlock in a more permanent way

I agree. In the story, he is portrayed in a way that we simply hate him, but in the show a different dimestion is given to the character that evokes awe and admiration as well.

Last edited by holmes23 (August 10, 2013 1:21 pm)

August 10, 2013 1:25 pm  #65

The fact that he's so calm about everything makes him even scarier. You never know what they're thinking when they're so calm...Moriarty's not a raving lunatic, he's very clever and skilled at what he does. A real criminal mastermind.

Last edited by kittykat (August 10, 2013 1:26 pm)

August 10, 2013 1:32 pm  #66

Sorry, which Moriarty you mean, as both are calm in their own way. Though Jim appeared a bit lunatic, he had some deeper schemes which can't be guessed easily.

August 10, 2013 1:53 pm  #67

Both, I guess. But especially Jim. He was so calm when he talked about killing Sherlock (I'm gonna kill you anyway someday) and thought nothing of using innocent people as hostages with those vests strapped to them.

August 11, 2013 2:46 am  #68

Read another three stories tonight.

Empty House - great to see Sherlock back, can't wait for the BBC interpretation in Series 3
Norwood Builder - interesting mystery
Dancing Men - strange, but could see parallels with the ciphers in The Blind Banker 

August 12, 2013 12:10 am  #69

Just read The Solitary Cyclist, interesting mystery that could work as an episode.

Also read Priory School, seeing lots of parallels with TRF where the kids are abducted from the school, as well as the presence of a German character (like with the fairy tales)

August 12, 2013 1:05 pm  #70

The Blind Banker? I was talking about Reichenbach!

August 12, 2013 3:32 pm  #71

I didn't mean all of it, just a slight nod. The six episodes we have contain elements from multiple stories.

All I said was how TRF gives a nod to the story with the kidnapped child. That is ALL that I said. I don't like it when people take my posts out of context to make me look stupid, like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by kittykat (August 12, 2013 3:43 pm)

August 12, 2013 4:06 pm  #72

We don't need confirmation of a connection if we can see it for ourselves. It's just common sense.

August 13, 2013 12:51 pm  #73

Last night I read Black Peter, not really sure what to make of that...

Then I read Charles Augustus Milverton, great stuff! Love the scenes with them breaking into the house and hiding behind the curtains and everything. That was so cool

August 13, 2013 1:05 pm  #74

I borrowed the annotated version of the stories from a library. Klinger, three books, several thousand pages
Wanted to have a look before I buy them.
Very interesting. I found out that there are actually scholars who think that there was no hiatus. That Holmes stayed in 221 b during the whole time.
Interesting because I am fond of the idea that Sherlock spent some time in 221 c after the fall.
A lot of background information about Victorian times, history, London and explanations of quotes and theories about the game.

August 13, 2013 5:43 pm  #75

Be wrote:

Very interesting. I found out that there are actually scholars who think that there was no hiatus. That Holmes stayed in 221 b during the whole time.

That is interesting, perhaps, but there is no evidence. I am certain that the travel stories are at least partially true, because it is obvious that Holmes changed after the hiatus. He might have been influenced by Tibetan budishm too, because his sense of religion seems to have changed also.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

August 13, 2013 6:52 pm  #76

Jacco111 wrote:

..it is obvious that Holmes changed after the hiatus

It never occurred to me that there was no record of Holmes playing violin after the hiatus. That's something I don't want to see adopted in the show, coz I love watching Sherlock play violin.

Last edited by holmes23 (August 13, 2013 6:53 pm)

August 13, 2013 7:25 pm  #77

kittykat wrote:

Then I read Charles  great stuff! Love the scenes with them breaking into the house and hiding behind the curtains and everything. That was so cool

I hope you enjoyed the scene where SH walks in with the spear in Black Peter. When I first read that story it didn't leave a real imprint on my mind, but now it's one of the stories which I can read afresh every time!

And Charles Augustus Milverton, that's cool. Great moments there  Don't you want Magda in series 3?

August 13, 2013 7:31 pm  #78

holmes23 wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Then I read Charles great stuff! Love the scenes with them breaking into the house and hiding behind the curtains and everything. That was so cool

I hope you enjoyed the scene where SH walks in with the spear in Black Peter. When I first read that story it didn't leave a real imprint on my mind, but now it's one of the stories which I can read afresh every time!

And Charles Augustus Milverton, that's cool. Great moments there Don't you want Magda in series 3?

Yes, the spear! Like the scene at the start of Hounds

Magda? 

August 13, 2013 7:40 pm  #79

And that spear scene was taken from Black Peter.

Sorry Agatha, the girl SH engaged to, only for getting  information

August 13, 2013 7:41 pm  #80

Ah, right. I can just see the look on John's face when Sherlock tells him he's engaged

Board footera