BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2012 10:09 am  #1

The Borgias

Who has watched/is watching this series?

I have just finished the 1st season and I am hooked on this. Still on the fence about Jeremy Irons' acting but his son Cesare (I forgot the name of the actor. Francois something?) is really good.

June 15, 2012 10:27 am  #2

Re: The Borgias

I'm now watching the second season, I've seen three episodes so far. François Arnaud is good, but... on the fence about Jeremy? I think he is absolutely superb (as always). But I can't be objective, I love him since I was like 15...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 15, 2012 10:54 am  #3

I guess I just wanted him to be more..."villain-y"? I don't know. :D
But I guess Cesare (Thanks for posting his name, btw) makes up for that part. I mean, he is supposed to be pope and all so maybe he has to lay off on being too much of the bad guy.

June 15, 2012 11:26 am  #4

jimella wrote:

I guess I just wanted him to be more..."villain-y"? I don't know. :D
But I guess Cesare (Thanks for posting his name, btw) makes up for that part. I mean, he is supposed to be pope and all so maybe he has to lay off on being too much of the bad guy.

Well, maybe he could be more "villain-y" as you say, but I think that's one of the best things on this show. Nobody is a complete villain and nobody is a complete angel. All characters have good and bad things... pretty realistic in fact. I agree Cesare makes up a bit for that, but also Juan... though I can't remember now much of the first season (I saw it last year) but in season two I think you'll find Juan to be a complete... bastard? Well, not very nice, indeed...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 18, 2012 9:12 am  #5

^ Now I can't wait to see the 2nd season! I thought Juan lacked a bit of airtime in the 1st season...even Lucrezia's sub story had more "flesh".

June 20, 2012 4:45 am  #6

I was at the bookstore yesterday and they had a 2012 The Borgias calendar -- 50% off I was tempted to get it because of the beautiful pictures. But it's already the middle of the year so I decided not to buy. Oh well.
It's funny, even in the calendar, the mother is missing. Come on, I thought it was just in Lucrezia's wedding

June 22, 2012 7:59 am  #7

Hmm, I am about to attempt watching the start of this series again.
I tried a few weeks ago but couldn't get interested in it.
We shall see what this weekend brings I guess.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 22, 2012 8:46 am  #8

Jimella, you will see a lot of Juan in series 2, believe me. I have only two episodes left to finish it and this second series has been quite interesting

By the way, I always plan to count how many times the say "indeed" in each episode but I end up forgetting, always... I should do it someday

June 23, 2012 12:38 pm  #9

Indeed? Indeed!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 15, 2012 11:20 am  #10

I will be watching the 2nd season of the Borgias this weekend. I am very excited to see Cesare again
Irene: do you like it better than the first season?

July 15, 2012 11:40 am  #11

jimella wrote:

I will be watching the 2nd season of the Borgias this weekend. I am very excited to see Cesare again
Irene: do you like it better than the first season?

I really can't tell... both seasons are great in my opinion. Anyway, I can tell you the second half of the second season is really brilliant, I enjoyed it a lot. Not that the first half isn't good, but the second one is just great.
I'm looking forward to read what you think about it

August 2, 2012 1:18 pm  #12

Irene, you were absolutely right. I am really loving season 2. Wicked, wicked Juan!

August 2, 2012 2:04 pm  #13

jimella wrote:

Irene, you were absolutely right. I am really loving season 2. Wicked, wicked Juan!

I'm glad we agree
Have you finished it?

February 1, 2013 4:45 pm  #14

Season 3 is taking a looooong time to come out...

February 13, 2013 5:20 pm  #15

Has anybody seen "Borgia", the European version by Tom Fontana? With John Doman as the pope, the wonderful Mark Ryder as Cesare, Diarmuid Noyes as Alessandro Farnese and so on.
I think it's even better than "The Borgias" and certainly more historically correct. Pretty brutal though, but still one of my favourite series. Season 2 will be aired in March or April probably.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

February 13, 2013 7:50 pm  #16

Personally, I would say "The Borgias" is more like a soap opera in historical setting (that's why I didn't like it very much), while "Borgia" rather tries to retell the historical events in an entertaining way.
It won't be an endless drama because the people involved did not have very long lives.
I can recommend watching both series - you can learn a lot about the influence of the vatican on Europe in the late 15th century. And the actors are great (and good-looking) and the costumes are amazing and the plot ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 13, 2013 10:19 pm  #17

Borgias and Medicis= fascinating.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 13, 2013 10:29 pm  #18

Swanpride wrote:

Ah, I know a lot about the Borgias...I'm kind of a history buff...which is why I'm interested in the first place, but not really keen on the soap opera route....

Well, the European "Borgia" series is quite accurate regarding the historical facts, but of course it's meant as entertainment and not as a history lesson, so they left some things out and added other things to fill some gaps. And all the violence is a little disturbing, but apparently the writers of historical drama think that is what their audience wants.
"The Borgias" is more like "The Tudors", I think.

July 5, 2013 1:25 am  #19

The Borgias is a complex, unvarnished portrait of one of history’s most intriguing families. The Borgias follows the rise of the Borgia family to the pinnacle of the Roman Catholic Church and their struggles to maintain their grip on power.

July 5, 2013 10:06 am  #20

I heard this will be the last series. Gutted!

Last edited by nicbooful (July 5, 2013 10:06 am)

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

Board footera