BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2012 5:05 pm  #1

Fairy tales

Currently I have much fun in discovering all the Grimm/"grim" fairy tale motifs, especially in Reichenbach.
("I like newspaper stories - fairy tales!")
Maybe you’ve been finding out more of them.
Mine are (so far):

Hänsel and Gretel
is explicitly mentioned.
(breadcrumbs, children being held captive, chocolate, gingerbread, being burned to a crisp)

the apple
(like in Snow White) – Why are there even APPLES at 221B? Methinks Sherlock and John are living on tea, milk and beans…

Sleeping Beauty
…pierces her hand on a spindle and falls to a deep sleep.
Ok ok, Irene’s syringe is no spindle after all…

Flying up pigeons (when Sherlock is rushed into St. Bart’s)
like in Cinderella

Rapunzel
Prince leaps from the tower in despair and survives…

What is the "funny name – German – like the fairy tales",
mentioned by Mrs. Hudson? Rapunzel? Rumpelstilzchen? What sounds funny for English people? I’ve no idea.  (just aside: my Czech friend finds "Schmetterling" for "butterfly" the most funny German word – I’d never thought of that…)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 17, 2012 5:13 pm  #2

Re: Fairy tales

that's awesome and clever I like the apple one

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 17, 2012 5:21 pm  #3

Why was the gingerbread man burnt? Was that in the original fairy story?

I kind of thought it was a message to Sherlock because Moriarty said he was going to "burn" him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 17, 2012 5:27 pm  #4

I think it just means it may be a fairy tale but all sweet things if u like need a bad thing with it ! Every fairy tale needs a good old fasion villian

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 17, 2012 5:28 pm  #5

I think the burnt gingerbread man motif is a mixture from the original fairy tale, where the children eat gingerbread they are breaking  off the witch's house and the fact that the witch is finally burnt.
Additionally this gingerbread man shows Sherlock that "I'll burn you..." is imminent.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 17, 2012 6:03 pm  #6

"funny name – German – like the fairy tales" I presumed to be Grimm, as in Brother Grimm.

Of course we don't get to hear what Mrs Hudson said so it may very well be Rumpelstiltskin.

Nice finds!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 24, 2012 6:17 am  #7

Yes – I KNEW there was a fairytale thread – though it's rather ancient by now.
Here are my recent thoughts on this topic:

Our "story teller" Moriarty (motto: "make believe", see Kitty's flat) admits that he loves fairytales: "I read it in the paper, so it must be true. (somehow this inverse conclusion reminds me of: "Look, I'm in shock – I've got a blanket!") I love newspapers … fairy tales … and pretty grim/Grimm ones too."
He sees himself playing the villain role: "Every fairytale needs a good old-fashioned villain", and states that he definitely isn't "on the side of the angels" which is "boring" and "ordinary" (properties he attributes to Sherlock).
But – "stayin' alive" is also boring for him: "It's just …staying!"
So, Moriarty, the fairy tale lover, definitely has a problem, maybe a "final" problem:

What about "…happily ever after"?

I don't remember a single fairy tale where the villain is rewarded with that.
So, Moriarty doesn't have to worry about surviving.
It's up to Sherlock to complete his story. But no – not by his suicide! After all, those being "on the side of the angels"
don't do that.(Even the prince in Rapunzel didn't commit suicide though it looked like it!)

As Moriarty had introduced the fairy tale topic at an early stage of Reichenbach (see the tea party at 221B) Sherlock had enough time to make preparations. ("Glad you chose a tall building…nice way to do it.")

To me, Sherlock's appearance on the cemetery stands for the very last fairytale sentence:
"…and they lived happily ever after."

Note: In the original German Grimm fairytales the last sentence would be:
"...und wenn sie nicht gestorben sind, dann leben sie noch heute."
It's like "…and if they hadn't died by now they're still alive today."
In this case...that hits the nail, doesn't it?

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 24, 2012 11:09 am  #8

I agree with almost everything you say above. The only, slight, problem I have is with the suicide part. I would have thought that it would have been unlikely with all these these Maerchen in that they were written down at a time when suicide was regarded as a crime, with those who killed themselves buried outside of sanctified ground and denied a place in Heaven. This would explain completely the lack of suicide by the Heroes of the stories. In modern times, however, an updating would allow for the suicide of the Hero to save his friends as few, if any, people have the view that was once held of suicide as an act. Good Old Fashioned Villains, however, frequently die in the Maerchen, whether it be a wolf or a witch, for example.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 24, 2012 11:39 am  #9

Davina wrote:

I agree with almost everything you say above. The only, slight, problem I have is with the suicide part. I would have thought that it would have been unlikely with all these these Maerchen in that they were written down at a time when suicide was regarded as a crime, with those who killed themselves buried outside of sanctified ground and denied a place in Heaven. This would explain completely the lack of suicide by the Heroes of the stories. In modern times, however, an updating would allow for the suicide of the Hero to save his friends as few, if any, people have the view that was once held of suicide as an act. Good Old Fashioned Villains, however, frequently die in the Maerchen, whether it be a wolf or a witch, for example.

Yes, of course you're right about the suicide thing, Davina.
Suicide was a crime, condemned by the Church, at the time the Grimm brothers collected those fairy tales. (And later on as well - just remember Goethe's Werther!) There are still societies who consider suicides (even the attempt) to be crimes.

I was just fascinated by the Rapunzel motif "Prince in despair jumps off a high tower - and survives."
I can't think of another fairytale where that is to be found.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 24, 2012 12:57 pm  #10

Yes Rapunzel is a curious tale all round isn't it. Doesn't the Prince lose his sight from the thorns he falls into? I seem to remember The Seven Swans is peculiar as well...I think I'm going to have to re-read that...where is my copy of the Grimm tales? I also need to re-read The Gingerbread Man.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 26, 2012 6:46 am  #11

Bump! Since people keep mentioning this thread. As if by magic...here it is! I've read too many Fairy Stories, me!

September 27, 2012 12:27 am  #12

Thanks, Davina, for bumping this. I've been waiting anxiously for Sherlock to come out on Netflix, my drug of choice. I watched 'Belgravia" a couple days ago. Was planning on pacing myself, spreading it out for at least a week. But today I watched 'Baskerville' and had to immediately dive into "Reichenbach'... pun intended.

Already going through withdrawals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... there's just one more miracle, Sherlock, for me, don't be dead.

September 27, 2012 6:25 am  #13

Davina wrote:

Yes Rapunzel is a curious tale all round isn't it. Doesn't the Prince lose his sight from the thorns he falls into? I seem to remember The Seven Swans is peculiar as well...I think I'm going to have to re-read that...where is my copy of the Grimm tales? I also need to re-read The Gingerbread Man.

Yes, he does lose his sight and strays around until comes back and recognises Rapunzel's singing voice. Her tears fall into his eyes and so he's healed. (Wonder how they'd use Martin in that  ). I find all the fairy-tale allusions absolutely fascinating. And the apple is reminds me of the biblical symbol of temptation.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 28, 2012 2:41 pm  #14

Please read my thread "I.O.U  Update: breakthrough" as I have just made headway on this very topic of fairy tales.  You all seem to know the stories better than me, so your help would be great.  I need you to focus on the story of Cinderella, as I believe it to be the key to Sherlock and Moriarty's "death"!

Last edited by Joalro (September 28, 2012 2:42 pm)

December 20, 2012 7:22 pm  #15

I just saw at Google that we have "200 years of Grimm's Fairy tales" today.

https://www.deutschland.de/en/node/1879

Last edited by Mattlocked (December 20, 2012 7:22 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 20, 2012 8:09 pm  #16

I'm so stupid. I saw the doodle and wondered what it was for. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 20, 2012 10:42 pm  #17

ROTKÄPPCHEN! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera