BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

TV Programmes » German TV Satire Sherlock style » October 4, 2020 2:55 pm

Rache
Replies: 0

Go to post

For all German speaking folks out there, this is genius:

https://www.zdf.de/comedy/die-anstalt/die-anstalt-vom-29-september-2020-100.html#autoplay=true

Youtube Link for a short clip out of the whole video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF_bP-tAyeU

The content itself is genius, very severe information in itself but that aside, I had a really good laugh at how good they did an impression of our beloved BBC Sherlock series. The persons responsible must be huge Sherlock fans themselves.
I especially loved the scenes between Sherlock and Mycroft.

This sentence was sooo fitting, :D (I try to translate).
Sherlock: "Mycroft I would rather like to feel a 30mm bullet inside me than feel your empathy"

Benedict's Non-Sherlock Work » Avengers: Endgame » May 5, 2019 12:23 pm

Rache
Replies: 5

Go to post

Could be but I will have to rewatch it sometime.
Very heartbreaking that Strange asked Thanos to spare Tony's life in Infinity War while he knew he would have to die in the one scenario where they win.
It is a little cold blooded but I think this fits very well to his former charakter as a surgeon. He is the only one to make "unemotional" choices about life and death.

Benedict's Non-Sherlock Work » Avengers: Endgame » April 30, 2019 8:23 pm

Rache
Replies: 5

Go to post

Hi Susi
I liked it as well but not as much as Infinity War. ;) I liked Thanos as a charakter very much.

I'm not really a Marvel fan and watched only half of all the Marvel films that are out there. But of course I watched Doctor Strange.

SPOILERS from now on.

Of course Dr Strange is one of my favs and I all my attention is on him whenever he appears.
How do you interpret his gesture with the one finger in the last battle? I read there are different interpretations out there. On the one hand I thought he meant with this gesture: THIS scenario is the ONE in which we are winning. On the other hand he made a face some minutes before or afterwards (I can't remember) where he looked totally surprised and a little scared just like he realized: Shit, something in this scenario went wrong.

What do you think?

Latest News » I bet we'll get a series 5 » July 10, 2018 9:17 pm

Rache
Replies: 22

Go to post

Hm... Number 1 I solved immediately. And shortly afterwards number 3...
I will have to look again at number 2 and 4.

Upcoming Events & Competitions » The Game Is Now » May 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Rache
Replies: 75

Go to post

Nice, I signed up as well. If it is in London, I doubt I will be able to go. Maybe as part of a spontaneous trip.

But I'm really curious what that can be? I read that some believe it to be a kind of escape room experience. Maybe thats true. You can get hints from people in the show (Sherlock, Mycroft, Lestrade...) via audio or video and it involves YOU, because you are the one to solve the puzzle to get out of the room.

Upcoming Events & Competitions » Win breakfast with Benedict and the Sherlock cast at Speedy’s » May 15, 2018 9:03 pm

Rache
Replies: 29

Go to post

Wow, this sounds simply amazing! Does anyone know when the date of the event will be?

Apparently you buy yourself a higher chance to win if you donate more... up to 5000! Wish I had so much to spend.

The Lying Detective » TLD Headscratchers » March 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Rache
Replies: 280

Go to post

besleybean wrote:

I doubt many would either know nor care, to be honest!

Well, that's relieving!  
I wonder what would officially done, though, in the example I have given.^^
 

The Lying Detective » TLD Headscratchers » March 10, 2018 11:56 am

Rache
Replies: 280

Go to post

Liberty wrote:

It is incredibly outdated!  But it is still used a lot today (in fact, I think it's probably rare that it's not used).   And they are all doctors, of course.  It's the same basic training.  It's just the titles that are different.  Surgeons are usually Mr/Miss/Mrs (although they were previously Dr).  It's a mark or respect or status.  So I think that's where the reasoning comes from with Molly.

Oh, intersting. I got it now, where my confusion comes from. And it seems that the system in the UK IS quite different from that in Germany and probably the rest of central Europe? At least in Austria and Switzerland it is the same as in Germany with the doctoral degree.

We are getting off topic, but I find it very interesting so I hope it is ok and we can discuss further.

So for a physician in the UK it would be something like an honor to lose his doctoral title if he aspires to become a surgeon? Because it would mean that, when he is now called Mr again, he now has the training and expertise to do surgeries on his own? And could you say that for physicians it is easier to get the title "Doctor" than to get rid of it again? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/nerdy.png
 This is weird, you have to admit.^^

What also is very different: In Germany, if you earn the title "Doctor" (you have to write a doctoral thesis for that like SusiGo explained), you will keep it for a lifetime, even if you don't work anymore. You can't lose it again. (exception could be if it is plagiarism/if you copied it or if you commit a severe crime.) The title will always appear in your passport, in your address, in all official documents... Does the title of a medical doctor appear in his passport in the UK as well? (e.g. Dr Smith, Tom) Or only if you actually have written a doctoral thesis like in other academic disciplines? And will the title disappear if you are not a doctor anymore but a surgeon???

And now the question of all questions [img]http:/

The Lying Detective » TLD Headscratchers » March 9, 2018 3:07 pm

Rache
Replies: 280

Go to post

SusiGo wrote:

I think Kittyhawk deduced this because for historical reasons in the UK surgeons are usually no doctors whereas all (or most) other physicians have a doctor's degree. However, I am not sure if one can conclude that Molly must be a surgeon just because she is not called Dr Hooper. 

 

Ok, thanks, I agree. But as you said, that doesn't mean that she is a surgeon and not a pathologist. And Kittyhawk wrote that she must be a surgeon and not another medical specialty. I found that very irritating.

I want to make clear that this doctor vs surgeon is VERY outdated. I can't believe that anyone would make conclusions from that today. This comes from medival times! In medival times, you could say that a barber did a surgeons job, and then there were the "real doctors" who would nowadays be considered as a specialist in the broad field of internal medicine.

I would say since approx. 100 years ago both "professions" are first and foremost physicians. Today it doesn't make sense whatsoever to call people surgeon OR doctor. What would you call a cardiologist, or even a psychiatrist, without a doctor's degree for example? Surely not a surgeon.

Again, to make it clear: Anyone who finishes medical school is a physician. If you additionally get a doctoral degree in the medical field, you can call yourself "doctor", it doesn't matter if you are a radiologist, GP, surgeon, paediatrician, psychiatrist, ophtalmologist,...

If we agree that Molly is a physician, I do wonder however if she is a pathologist or a forensic pathologist. And to begin with, if there is a difference at all between those specialties in the UK. I can only speak for Germany, but there is a huge difference between a pathologst and a forensic pathologist=autopist=coronist. They require completely different specialisation and they don't do the same work afterwards.
I'm not sure which one Molly is, maybe because there is no difference in the UK? In TBB she has access to (and eve

The Lying Detective » TLD Headscratchers » March 9, 2018 10:33 am

Rache
Replies: 280

Go to post

Kittyhawk wrote:

Interestingly - and hardly ever mentioned anywhere -, Miss Molly Hooper must be a surgeon (not another medical specialty), whereas Dr. John Watson is not.

What???
Why is Molly a surgeon? Where are the hints for that? I'm quite sure she isn't. I mean she quite clearly seems to be a pathologist.

Suggestions, Questions & Technical Help » Posting pictures » March 8, 2018 10:28 pm

Rache
Replies: 10

Go to post

That looks almost like my profile picture.

I have a question: Is this the only way to post pictures in this forum? By uploading it to another website and then using the link??

I would like to be able to share pictures directly from my hard drive with you. It would be a) much easier/quicker b) you wouldn't need a third party involved. Who k ows what they do with this stuff and how long the link will work...

Latest News » These "series 4 is the last" rumours » February 6, 2018 6:22 pm

Rache
Replies: 232

Go to post

Not big news exactly, but here is a recent interview from radio times with Steven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIoXSAmWnxg

And one with Mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CZBtLmf3-c

So yeah, basically, there could be more Sherlock after Dracula.

Fan Videos » Fan Videos » February 6, 2018 5:53 pm

Rache
Replies: 474

Go to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9INLzieJrg

omg. OMG.
I can't believe how talented that person must be! What a great edit. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/shocked.png

General Sherlock Discussion » The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only) » January 29, 2018 4:44 pm

Rache
Replies: 7242

Go to post

This looks like Sherlock's heart is racing and he is wondering "what is going on?" and scared and excited at the same time. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png

General Sherlock Discussion » How would your perfect S5 look like? » January 26, 2018 6:03 pm

Rache
Replies: 65

Go to post

Oscar1965 wrote:

A co-worker of mine nearly gave me a heart attack today: she burst in saying: "Did you know there is a new season of Sherlock that just came out?"

WHAT???

Turns out, she was refering to a new season being released IN FRENCH (the fourth).

You can imagine how disapointed I felt!
 

Oh I'm sorry for you!
And the poor French Shwelock fans... apparwntly they had to wait a year since the english release??? And I thought we German speaking people had unbearable bad luck. The German dub came out last June...

BUT, concerning series 5, listen what I just came across. I was searching for the tv schedule for this evening and I thought "oh look there is A Scndal in Belgravia this evening. Clicked on the description to read their review. I sometimes do that fir fun, because I find it interesting what official sites say about Sheelock episodes.
And principally the last few lines said that Benedict and Martin have sigened for series 5, but it is uncertain when it will air and that Moffat and Gatiss are planning Dracula series first.

I mean this sounds very promising, right? And the last thing I knew is that Ben and Martin haven't signed for series 5 because it is not sure whether there will be one. Or have I missed something, that they actually had signed "just in case"? This website is making it sound like there will be a series 5. It is a site I wouldn't trust to have access to the latest international news, but all the other stuff in this small article matches what we have heard (Dracula series, beginning of series 5 unknown...)

Here is the last bit in German, I underlined the important last bit. (=Cumberbatch and Freeman have signed for series 5. However, it is written in the stars when they will start filming. Sherlock creators Moffat and Mark Gatiss are planning a Dracula series first.)
[...] Freche Dialoge (Adler: „Sieh einer an, diese Wangenknochen. Da könnt ich mich ja schneiden, wenn ich dieses Gesicht schlage“) und raffinierter Plot ma

It's Canon » Johnlock: The Official Debate » January 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Rache
Replies: 8180

Go to post

Liberty wrote:

I'm very happy with what we got.  I wasn't expecting Johnlock anyway, but I do think we saw a lot of development in their relationship.  In fact, TLD may be more "about" their relationship than any other episode.  That hug was just perfect. 

Yep, that's what I meant.
 

It's Canon » Johnlock: The Official Debate » January 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Rache
Replies: 8180

Go to post

Yes, but like magnets they attract each other when they are apart.
Their lives being forever intertwined is a  nice expression as well, besley. ;)

Btw in my had canon, Jihn lives again in 221B by the end of series 4. That was my intuition right after/while the first viewing. And it still is. Although it is thinkable for ma as well that he lives somewhere else in a flat with Rosie after a lot of people saw it as the more plausible solution.

It's Canon » Johnlock: The Official Debate » January 15, 2018 5:29 pm

Rache
Replies: 8180

Go to post

Yeah, well it is too quiet here for my taste, I think there still is plenty to talk about.

I am glad they didn't end up in a sexual relationship. That doesn't mean they don't have a romantic relationship. Or that I wouldn't fancy an "I love you" from one to the other. ;)
It is difficult to explain in what kind of relationship I "ship" Sherlock and John.
I don't know, I got the impression that a huge part of the hardcore fandom (and some people here in this forum?) is bitterly disappointed that they didn't get their Johnlock ending/kiss/sexual relationship/gay outcome/whatever by the end of series 4. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think for example of the great YouTube channel Rebekkah and her TJLC and the community behind this.

But I for myself LOVE it, I really really honestly love it where series 4 brought our two main characters, see their interaction and character development!!! I love all the "Johnlock" that we got in series 4. Perfect moments for me. I couldn't have hoped for better. Maybe it is because I am late to the fandom (I joined it when series 3 aired) or that I generally don't like character shippings in fanfictions or I am one of those weird(?) persons who think platonic love to be great. Is platonic an ideal that in reality can't be reached?? 
I suppose the term platonic love comes quite close to what I like for Sherlock and John. But still somehow more than that, more than friendship: a bromance, soulmates, family, yin and yang, being attracted so much by the other that living without the other is not possible.

Oh what I forgot: Whatever that was that Sherlock and Irene had, this unique relationship and there was an sexual aspect to it... I could say this could be the right "thing" for Sherlock and John, although it is not really possible to draw a comparison.

It's Canon » Johnlock: The Official Debate » January 14, 2018 12:45 pm

Rache
Replies: 8180

Go to post

Vhanja wrote:

It's an obvious comparison to make, but what I think John means is "I am moving on with my life". As in, not being stuck in limbo due to grief without going anywhere or doing anything.

I agree. "Moving on" can mean a lot of things and not necessarily in a romantic or platonic way.

Vhanja wrote:

But ,of course, I do see why it easily could be interpreted that way, I think these things concerning John's marriage (changes for Sherlock, Sherlock's role and importance in John's life) are balancing on tip-toes between friendship and romance in the way it is written and done.

I love this balancing in the show. Although I for myself see more the friendship aspect.

General Sherlock Discussion » You know you're obsessed with Sherlock when... » January 6, 2018 1:35 pm

Rache
Replies: 4136

Go to post

Yeah, I also thought it would be worse, I quite enjoy watching all the episodes then and again. But still I miss it.^^

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum