BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2012 8:05 am  #21

Re: Guy Ritchie Sherlock Movies

But Stephen is 'god of swimwear'! Lol!

Seriously Jude Law  it's those eyes of his!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 30, 2012 8:08 am  #22

Davina wrote:

But Stephen is 'god of swimwear'! Lol!

Seriously Jude Law  it's those eyes of his!

So this was Stephen's outfit for the nudist beach? 

About the eyes - I prefer RDJ's. He has unbelievable eyes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 26, 2012 8:12 pm  #23

Just watched Game of Shadows and I quite enjoyed it. I agree with Skitty about Professor Moriarty though. I missed the oscillation of his head. The urban camouflage was great though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 26, 2012 9:10 pm  #24

Well, in comparison with Andrew Scott he seems a bit pale, that's true. But I like the chemistry between Holmes and Watson in the films and the fact that Jude Law makes a "strong" Watson. For me the adaptations only work when there's this special something between them.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 27, 2012 3:16 am  #25

SusiGo wrote:

Well, in comparison with Andrew Scott he seems a bit pale, that's true. But I like the chemistry between Holmes and Watson in the films and the fact that Jude Law makes a "strong" Watson. For me the adaptations only work when there's this special something between them.

I agree, the best part of the Ritchie movies is the chemistry between Jude Law and RDJ. The other characters and plot are sometimes annoying, but their relationship is enough to get me to watch and keep watching.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 27, 2012 8:14 am  #26

I agree about the chemistry between the two main characters. With reference to Prof. Moriarty I was trying hard not to compare it with Andrew's Jim Moriarty. My point of reference was, rather, Prof. Moriarty in the original stories; how he described, his conversations with Sherlock Holmes, how Holmes refers to him etc. it is all more than just 'the Napoloeon of Crime' thing.

December 27, 2012 5:01 pm  #27

It's hard not to compare but they're so different in many ways, that makes it a little easier to separate them. Especially their Moriarty's. I haven't read Doyle's books, so I was able to appreciate what each one brought to the individual situation, though I certainly love Sherlock and Andrew's Moriarty more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 27, 2012 5:25 pm  #28

I got the movies for Xmas, so I will try and watch them sometime.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2013 5:04 am  #29

I loved the first one, but the second one I wasnt all that impressed. RDJ and Jude Law have great chemistry in them.

January 16, 2013 10:02 pm  #30

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 16, 2013 10:09 pm  #31

Thank you for the info. Seems we'll have to wait a bit longer for that one than for series 3. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 16, 2013 10:09 pm)

January 17, 2013 7:15 am  #32

Just aswell for me, as the 2 films still sit unwatched on my shelf!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 5, 2013 6:28 pm  #33

I loved them all so far. Great series!

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (March 6, 2013 10:30 pm)

March 17, 2013 5:28 pm  #34

SusiGo wrote:

. One of my favourites from the first movie is the scene in the prison yard when he sleeps at Watson's shoulder and they start one of their usual domestic quarrels.

A little like this Susi, but in reverse?  Awww...seems like everyone feels that Johnlock love 

Bumping this thread a bit - I finally got around to watching these two movies and liked them better than I thought I would.  Think I liked the first better than the second because there seemed to be fewer explosions.  And I really enjoyed the running gag throughout of Holmes trying to keep Watson from leaving him for Mary. Funny and tender at the same time. And in 'Game of Shadows' loved all that he did to save both Watson and Mary on the train - even though Watson didn't understand what the heck was going on. Nicely done. 

Been thinking about the two Watson portrayals. Law's Watson is strongly determined to live a 'normal' life beyond Baker Street and inexorably moves toward acheiving it, despite Holmes trying to hold him back.  He's not as needy as Holmes.  Our BCC John has not yet reached that point.  He needs Sherlock as much as Sherlock needs him; and so far in the series, he has been unable to leave his orbit around Sherlock's sun.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

March 17, 2013 6:07 pm  #35

Yes, that's a quite nice example, KP. I watched some interviews they did together, they're wonderful. Unashamedly hinting at the special relationship between those two. 

It's totally different from BBC Sherlock but I really like their work and chemistry. 

October 4, 2013 9:23 am  #36

Watched both movies last night, thought they were great. Lots of Johnlock feels!

The scene on the train...with the rolling around on the floor and the "compromising" position they were in...talk about adding fuel to the fire!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 4, 2013 9:25 am  #37

And the other dramatic train scene … 

November 15, 2013 2:57 pm  #38

I think the Guy Richie Movies are well done. If you like action movies and Sherlock Holmes in it. I do, but with my knowledge of ACD canon and BBC Sherlock I keep comparing them.
I miss the characteristic wit and sarcasm of ACD Holmes and although I like martial arts movies I think it is too much for a Sherlock Holmes film.
Sherlock Holmes is not primarily about action and martial arts, IMO. James Bond in Victorian times is a nice comparison by somebody on this forum.

I don't like the disguises in the movies. Our Sherlock with hiding in plain sight and being an actor is superior to wigs and ridiculous dresses. For example the Chinese man in the second movie is peculiar.
The following martial arts scene is totally overdone and cut into tiny pieces because the audience mustn't see the fake. Better don't do it if it ends like this. Better do small martial arts pieces that are uncut and can be done by the actor himself (the knocking on the head with the gun in super slow motion at Irene's  in Scandal is wonderful with BC gracefully turning around).

RDJ is difficult to understand for me because he mumbles a bit. I can understand Jude Law perfectly well. I expected a Sherlock Holmes who speaks precisely classical Oxford English (RP). RDJ is not authentic with this pronunciation for me.

On the other hand I like the Holmes and Watson relationship in the movies and the plot around Watson's wedding totally works for me. Holmes statement about dying alone is nice, but possibly not in character for Holmes.  I wonder what our Sherlock would say...

November 15, 2013 3:26 pm  #39

As for the disguises - in this they are quite close to the Canon, I think. There Holmes uses classical devices like wigs, etc.. Just think of the old bookseller in "The Empty House". When watching the movies I thought that they deviate from the Canon in many ways but this seemed quite authentic to me. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 15, 2013 3:27 pm)

May 27, 2015 11:28 am  #40

I re-watched the first movie today, it was actually my first introduction to the character of Sherlock Holmes back when it first came out. It's entertaining enough but it didn't get me interested enough to read ACD's stories or seek out other adaptions, like BBC Sherlock has. But I had fun spotting canon references now that I have a bit more knowledge about it

Anyway, I had completely forgotten about the cemetery scene, which was filmed in Brompton Cemetery in London. I have actually spent several nights sleeping in the middle of Brompton Cemetery... It's a fantastic place, very atmospheric! And not too creepy once you get used to it 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera