BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2013 6:08 pm  #61

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Davina wrote:

I really like Philippa Gregory's books. I live just up the road, literally, from where Anne Boleyn's sister and husband lived (a firens lives i part of the moated manor house that was theirs) and we have a local pub called The Anne Boleyn (the Bullen's- for that is what they were- were big landowners around here).I am also a long term fan of Poe- I enjoy his poetry too.

That's amazing- I love reading about her, Elizabeth I. and the whole era. It's amazing that they are still so present in certain places- also went to Hatfield as well as the National Portrait Gallery in London.

I can highly recommend "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies" by Hilary Mantel (RSC is going to make plays out of them, I am considering flying over for that if I'll get tickets), and anything by Alison Weir.

I bought "Bring Up the Bodies" first and couldn't put it down again (I've been told I read it on a beach in Portugal, but I was completely unaware of my surroundings, really). Now I'm waiting for the third installment, which is as annoying as waiting for Sherlock's season 3...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

September 22, 2013 3:36 pm  #62

Paul Auster - The New York Trilogy

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

September 26, 2013 4:09 pm  #63

I've gotten a bit into "Young Sherlock Holmes", currently reading the second book. I like very much that Mycroft Holmes appears so often in these novels (at least so far). I am huge fan of the Holmes brothers and enjoy anything that brings them together.

After this I hope to finally get around to reading "The Cuckoo's Calling".

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

September 26, 2013 5:28 pm  #64

Started the newest Stephen King book yesterday.  Doctor Sleep.  It's a sequel to The Shining.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 27, 2013 2:47 am  #65

tonnaree wrote:

Not actually reading it yet but the next thing I start will be the new Neil Gaiman book.  Ocean at the End of the Lane.  I've got tickets to a signing Satuday and I"m so excited I might spontaneously combust.!!

I like many of Gaiman's books.  My favs are Neverwhere and American Gods.

Have you finished Ocean at the End of the Lane?  How was it? (No spoilers!!)

M: Tradition, John. Our traditions define us.

Harry: ...And Mr. Holmes, the younger.  You look taller in your photographs.
SH: I take the precaution of a good coat and a short friend.

September 27, 2013 6:42 am  #66

I am reading "Never Mind" by Edward St Aubyn. Benedict mentioned his books in an interview and I thought I could give them a try. A very well-written, disturbing novel. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 27, 2013 11:32 am  #67

SusiGo wrote:

I am reading "Never Mind" by Edward St Aubyn. Benedict mentioned his books in an interview and I thought I could give them a try. A very well-written, disturbing novel. 

Hmmmm, disturbing.  I like disturbing.  *takes notes*

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 27, 2013 11:36 am  #68

Bought a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavelair and Clay.  Been meaning to read it forever but then I heard BC mention that filming it would be a dream project for him and well, with that sort of reccomendation, ..I was highly motivated to finally read it.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 28, 2013 12:41 pm  #69

the_dancing_woman wrote:

I've gotten a bit into "Young Sherlock Holmes", currently reading the second book. I like very much that Mycroft Holmes appears so often in these novels (at least so far). I am huge fan of the Holmes brothers and enjoy anything that brings them together.

After this I hope to finally get around to reading "The Cuckoo's Calling".

I've also read those simply because I needed something during the wait, and I did quite warm to them. They clearly are meant for a young audience, but they still are entertaining, and I do agree about Mycroft.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

September 29, 2013 2:58 am  #70

reading  "A Slight Trick of the Mind"  by Mitch Cullin.   Looking forward to Ian McKellan as the aging post -WWII Sherlock.

September 29, 2013 3:00 pm  #71

After reading, I hope you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts about the book . I am so much interested about the project

September 30, 2013 11:34 pm  #72

Currently I'm reading The White Queen and the Red Queen.  I don't have Starz and it will be a several months before it's on Netflix.  Sheesh, I'm surprised anyone in England was alive after the War of the Roses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

October 7, 2013 8:00 pm  #73

I'm currently reading North and South and I read Beowulf a couple of weaks ago for my literature class. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

October 20, 2013 8:46 pm  #74

Just reading ACD 56 short stories - had to giggle when I started the latest one. In the second paragraph it says "Come at once if convenient - if inconvenient come all the same", I never noticed this on previous readings so it must have stuck in my head after watching BBC Sherlock. I have been writing a SH story myself and I think it has a good start. I am not a writer as such so I don't really no if it has any merit. Where would I go to get any other opinions?

-------------------------------------------

To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind.

October 20, 2013 8:48 pm  #75

Oh I never mentioned the title. "The Adventure of The Creeping Man"

-------------------------------------------

To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind.

October 23, 2013 10:08 am  #76

When asked about what I'm reading I often say "It's...ummm... an online book." and they will never fully understand. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

October 23, 2013 10:43 am  #77

Mary Me wrote:

When asked about what I'm reading I often say "It's...ummm... an online book." and they will never fully understand. 

Is it good or bad that I immediately knew what you meant?!?!

I'm re-reading The Hobbit to get in the mood for the movie x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

October 23, 2013 11:30 am  #78

Mary Me wrote:

To avoid a long explaination of what fanfic are, I usually say "Something about Sherlock Holmes".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 25, 2013 9:13 pm  #79

The Silence of the Lambs | Thomas Harris

Last edited by Lily (October 25, 2013 9:13 pm)

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

October 25, 2013 10:12 pm  #80

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera