BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 12, 2013 9:20 am  #21

Re: If you had control over Series 3...

I'm sure they'll be able to make Mary into an interesting character. A character of whom we understand why John falls in love with her. I think it will be very important for us to understand what he sees in her, otherwise she will just turn into a disturbing factor in the show. Mofftiss surely don't want that to happen, so I'm sure they'll come up with something.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 12, 2013 9:49 am  #22

Swanpride wrote:

i'm worried that he might try to hard...that was kind of the problem with Sarah. Not that I disliked her, but there were moments when I thought "You just added that because you think that this is the mark of a strong woman, right?".

In which moments did you have that impression, can you give an example? Because I have to admit that I was rather annoyed when she and John were kidnapped and she came across a bit like the damsel in distress that had to be rescued. (I'm not familar with the canon though, so maybe that somehow is canon...?)
As for Mary: I guess it might not be easy to get this right, because let's face it: There always is the danger that she will come across as some kind of intruder into the world of Sherlock and John. I know that a lot of fans think that it's good to have her in the show, that she will give new impulses. I personally have to admit: I don't really need new impulses (at least not in the form of a woman, I'm not talking about villains here), because I was pretty happy with how things were with Sherlock and John. But at the same time I'm willing to acknowledge that it might be good for the dynamics between Sherlock and John. We'll see.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 12, 2013 10:54 am  #23

Swanpride wrote:

Well, for example when she asks John if he wants breakfast and then tells him to make it. I'm sure that was suppose to come of as emancipated, but it just came off as rude in my eyes. When I have guests, even if they are guests who crushed at my place at a moments notice, I make them breakfast myself, unless they offer to do it as some sort of thanks (and even then I might decline because I prefer control over my kitchen). Because that's how you treat a guest. (and no, the whole character wasn't canon based at all).

Okay, I see what you mean and I understand, that this might come across as rather rude. I took it more like a tough joke, if you know what I mean, although I know that she meant it. And John was obviously a bit irritated. (Just like you, I would offer my guest to prepare breakfast or, if I'm really in a hurry, I'd ask if it would be okay if he/she prepared it himself/herself.)

Swanpride wrote:

I think this is less about new impulses and more about John having a live of his own. Most Watsons are basically just an extension of Sherlock. John is one of the few exceptions, and I think this particular Sherlock needs to learn how to deal with for once stepping back and doing what John needs him to do.

This then will be very interesting to see, I'd say.

August 18, 2013 3:36 pm  #24

Don't worry, I'm sure we're all going to weep our damn hearts out when Mary dies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera