BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2013 12:15 pm  #1

Benedict's Many Faces

I just made a list of all the real-life characters he's played or spoken or will play in the future. It's an amazing list. Just imagine all these totally different people being played by one man alone.

Stephen Hawking, scientist
Werner Heisenberg, scientist
Alan Turing, mathematician
Joseph Hooker, botanist
T. S. Eliot, writer
Alexander Masters, writer
Vincent van Gogh, painter
Dudley Moore, comedian
William Pitt the Younger, politician
William Ford, planter and slave-owner
Julian Assange, hacker and activist
Guy Burgess, spy
William Carey, courtier of Henry VIII

Did I forget anyone? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 21, 2013 1:00 pm  #2

Re: Benedict's Many Faces

Johannes Kepler, mathematician and astronomer
Thomas Chatterton, poet

Last edited by tobeornot221b (July 21, 2013 1:00 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 21, 2013 1:02 pm  #3

Two more. Thanks, that's really impressive.

Stephen Hawking, scientist (Hawking) 
Werner Heisenberg, scientist (Copenhagen, radio play)
Alan Turing, mathematician (The Imitation Game)
Joseph Hooker, botanist (Creation)
Johannes Kepler, mathematician and astronomer
Thomas Chatterton, poet (The Allington Solution, radio play)
T. S. Eliot, writer (Tom & Viv, radio play)
Alexander Masters, writer (Stuart - A Life Backwards)
Vincent van Gogh, painter (Van Gogh - Painted With Words)
Dudley Moore, comedian (Good Evening, radio play)
William Pitt the Younger, politician (Amazing Grace)
William Ford, planter and slave-owner (2 Years A Slave)
Julian Assange, hacker and activist (The Fifth Estate)
Guy Burgess, spy (The Turning Point) 
William Carey, courtier of Henry VIII (The Other Boleyn Girl)
(Brian Epstein, Beatles manager, to be confirmed)

Last edited by SusiGo (August 4, 2013 6:41 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 21, 2013 3:02 pm  #4

Don't forget Brian Epstein!     

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 21, 2013 4:44 pm  #5

Has this really been confirmed? Would be very happy to add him to the list. 

July 22, 2013 12:55 am  #6

Good question, as it's not on his current imdb.  But.  His tweets have been talking about (amidst other random things) being tired from crazy amount of travel for location scouting, stuff to do with an unnamed Frankenstein production  (cool?) , being sad he couldn't do Sherlock as a result of that, wishing them well, being thrilled his tv pilot 'Lucky 7' got picked up, aaaand:

(took that screenshot myself, so know not photoshopped, barring anything happening to it in the meantime!)   

But....  I understand things being in the air, but thought it -was- a little bit old news for you guys?  I see from a search on here for 'brian epstein' two different threads talking about it, with articles!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

July 22, 2013 6:38 am  #7

I didn't know that tweet. Thanks very much, Russell, I'd love it if this film was realised. 

July 22, 2013 6:19 pm  #8

Of course!   It was just kind of strange for a while as apparently two teams got the idea to want to do a bio of Epstein, plus how things are always in the air for a while, and thought you guys knew more about it considering the press articles in the forum threads dedicated to the subject seemed to confirm it, but the one McGuigan working on seemingly definitely in the works, so....   cool.

August 4, 2013 6:04 pm  #9

All lined up it is really an impressive list. Thank you, Susi! :o)

For me, I am absolutely thrilled about the Alan Turing film and the story it is going to tell.
It might be an excellent excuse for BC to wear his hair really short at that time ;o)

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

August 4, 2013 6:15 pm  #10

It would be interesting to have all the different faces behind the names and then imagine all being played by one and the same man. 
I am very excited about the Turing film as well and went to the exhibition at the Science Museum in London. I think he will his hear combed back with a side parting like Turing did in the photos I have seen.  

August 4, 2013 6:25 pm  #11

I'm assuming you missed out Sherlock on purpose...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 4, 2013 6:26 pm  #12

kittykat wrote:

I'm assuming you missed out Sherlock on purpose...

Sadly, Sherlock Holmes wasn't a real-life character, that's why...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 4, 2013 6:41 pm  #13

He is such an iconic figure that it is hard to believe he is fictional, but yes, this list is only for the real-life characters. 

August 4, 2013 8:16 pm  #14

SusiGo wrote:

It would be interesting to have all the different faces behind the names and then imagine all being played by one and the same man. 
I am very excited about the Turing film as well and went to the exhibition at the Science Museum in London. I think he will his hear combed back with a side parting like Turing did in the photos I have seen.  

You have been at the exhibition in London? That's fantastic! Perhaps you could tell us a little bit about it? :o)

< hair: a strict side parting and rather short in the neck > ;o)

Some time ago I have been interested in WWII german submarine (u-boat) technology and the history behind it. Of course the Enigma (in conjunction with Bletchley Park and Turing) has been part of it.
It is very exciting, that BC is going to play this genius, tragic character.

But well, Sherlock needs to be finished first. :o)

A photoset of all the different characters would be thrilling! Difficult to imagine, it wasn't already done by a diligent member of the fandom? :o))

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

August 4, 2013 8:26 pm  #15

Here is a link to a video about the exhibition. The exhibition covers his scientific career concentrating on his computers and his work on the Enigma machines at Bletchley Part as well as on his private life and tragic death:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2012/jun/20/codebreaker-alan-turing-science-museum-video

Someone on tumblr has compiled some pics of the real-life characters he's played but by far not all of them. 

August 4, 2013 8:54 pm  #16

^ Thank you :o)

Now I am even more curious about the exhibition. I dearly wish I could visit it, too.
Sort of distraction might be the making of a new pic-compilation? :o))

~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

August 4, 2013 8:59 pm  #17

Brilliant idea. 

August 5, 2013 3:44 pm  #18

^ Haha, I knew you would say this. :o))
Okidoki. My spirit always rises with every attempt to... challenge me. ;o)

~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

August 5, 2013 3:51 pm  #19

Consider yourself challenged. 

August 5, 2013 3:53 pm  #20

Brian Epstein?!!!

Oh now I'm all excited!

Beatles + Ben = Heaven!!!!!

Impressive list anyway!!

Just like old times...

Board footera