BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2013 1:11 pm  #41

Re: All Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock stories.

Now I just need to find some time...maybe this weekend...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 24, 2013 11:15 pm  #42

Waterstones in Manchester has the complete collection for £18.50...I'm going there tomorrow so I'll consider it

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 25, 2013 7:39 pm  #43

I caved; I went back to Waterstones in Manchester and bought the complete collection, £18.99. They did have each book separately on the shevlves, as in all four novels and the collections. But it probably would have cost me more to buy them like that.

But in hindsight, I should have gone there last instead of first - the book is very heavy! I can't wait to curl up with it this weekend

July 27, 2013 1:12 am  #44

Okay, just finished reading A Study in Scarlet...wow!

I loved it, especially seeing the parts that were adapted to the show and I can understand now why it translates so well to modern times. 

The second part was strange at first, with the Mormon backstory, but it soon became clear when the names Debber and Stangerson popped up, them being the names of the murdered men. And of course when Jeff Hope turned up and it all tied together. I could understand why he wanted revenge on them.

That brother whose sister Debber had been harassing was clearly a red herring! At first I thought he'd done it even though I knew the name of the cab driver. 

In A Study in Pink, Sherlock says that "love is a much more vicious motivator", Different circumstances in this case but he's right; that was why Hope did it and I love how it all tied together at the end! Brilliant stuff!

July 27, 2013 2:05 am  #45

I read the second part just once and that was long ago and being kinda  perfunctory reading don't remember much about it,  but now, owing to your great analysis, I'm tempted to give it another chance!

Looking forward to your thoughts about other stories as well

July 27, 2013 2:17 am  #46

I aim to read The Sign of Four tomorrow, and then move onto the short stories in order

July 27, 2013 2:27 am  #47

That's great! This is the only novel where you see SH through out. I envy you

July 27, 2013 3:00 am  #48

Normally I don't even read this kind of thing...but I have to make an exception

July 27, 2013 9:09 am  #49

You mean 'A Study in Scarlet'?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

July 27, 2013 11:55 pm  #50

Okay, just finished The Sign of Four. Again, I loved it!

I love the moments with John and Mary, very sweet indeed! 

I could see definite similarities to The Blind Banker, such as stolen treasure and a man being murdered from inside a locked room. And the scene in the beginning where Sherlock makes deductions about John's brother from the pocket watch; clearly where the mobile phone deduction in the show comes from.

Also, the scene where John looks up to see Sherlock on the rooftop; that was in the Pilot, wasn't it? I remember that. And I liked the thrilling chase on the river near the end! That should definitely happen in the show at some point!

Brilliant story; tomorrow I will move on to the Adventures collection, starting with Scandal in Bohemia. Those are shorter so I should be able to read a few tomorrow. I'm enjoying this! 

July 28, 2013 2:47 am  #51

I'm going to start to read The Sign Of Four today. Already excited. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 28, 2013 10:47 am  #52

kittykat wrote:

Also, the scene where John looks up to see Sherlock on the rooftop; that was in the Pilot, wasn't it? I remember that.

Well observed, Kittykat.  In HOUND you'll get a description which the said Pilot scene relates more directly to.                                                                       And speaking of the rooftop scene, Athelney Jones' character reminds me of Anderson ; )

July 28, 2013 4:55 pm  #53

holmes23 wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Also, the scene where John looks up to see Sherlock on the rooftop; that was in the Pilot, wasn't it? I remember that.

Well observed, Kittykat. In HOUND you'll get a description which the said Pilot scene relates more directly to. And speaking of the rooftop scene, Athelney Jones' character reminds me of Anderson ; )

I thought he reminded me of the Chief Superintendent from TRF, the one that John punches (and rightfully so!).

July 29, 2013 12:34 am  #54

Just read Scandal in Bohemia. It was interesting, and I can see that the scene in Irene's house in the episode sticks quite closely to it, with John causing the fire and everything. A good read

July 29, 2013 12:57 am  #55

Now I just read The Red-Headed League. That was...weird. Very strange, don't really know what to make of it!

July 29, 2013 10:36 am  #56

kittykat wrote:

holmes23 wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Well observed, Kittykat. In HOUND you'll get a description which the said Pilot scene relates more directly to. And speaking of the rooftop scene, Athelney Jones' character reminds me of Anderson ; )

I thought he reminded me of the Chief Superintendent from TRF, the one that John punches (and rightfully so!).

He is portrait very well in the Granada series.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 29, 2013 1:09 pm  #57

Portrait? I think you mean portrayed...completely different word there!

July 31, 2013 11:45 pm  #58

Just read A Case Of Identity...not much to say really, but it was a nice read.

I did pick up on Sherlock noticing how the woman had been leaning on a desk while typing, which is something he picks up on when observing Kitty in TRF

August 1, 2013 10:10 am  #59

kittykat wrote:

Portrait? I think you mean portrayed...completely different word there!

I meant that indeed, thanks for clarifying. ;)

August 9, 2013 2:05 am  #60

I just read The Final Problem

Board footera