BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2013 8:47 pm  #41

Re: Remarkable settings - pictures from the episodes

Not a moment of footage is wasted,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 23, 2013 8:07 pm  #42

besleybean wrote:

I remember on the commentary, Mark said he wanted to buy this house!

Aw, really?   That's cool...  them and their love of locations.  And perfectly filming the locations!    I'm kind of on a kick of looking at the 'dark'/'smoky' shots again, now... man, they were awesome.  Two favorites I love that just really helped make the scene:

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 23, 2013 8:24 pm  #43

Yes, Russell - the first one was in fact a very cold place - they didn't fake these little puffs of condensed breath - gives me shivers every time I watch it. And John at the Battersea building - a great location for his wonderful dialogue with Irene. Just the two of them (ok  - plus Sherlock ) at this impressive place. (Glad they didn't go to a café...)

In contrast - I love this nicely arranged and beautifully illuminated place with Westie's grieving fiancée and an understanding John:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 23, 2013 8:26 pm  #44

Symmetry again. Bottles, cups...

Did I mention I love this thread?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 23, 2013 8:54 pm  #45

Gah, yes....  and not so much of the 'symmetry' here, or their big landscapes/decorated sets, but continuing the dark and smoky eye-catching character moment theme......

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

July 23, 2013 8:56 pm  #46

Fantastic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 23, 2013 9:24 pm  #47

As much as it needed polishing in parts (which they did an amazing job of taking the same basic thing and fixing up/tightening it into the actual first ep), the original pilot had a lot of the same classic neat elements they always used, done very well, didn't it?

July 23, 2013 11:28 pm  #48

Wow. They are beautiful settings.  Gives me chills, quite nice considering the heat wave ;)
New on agenda: rewatch pilot

July 25, 2013 4:44 pm  #49

Maggi13 wrote:

Wow. They are beautiful settings.  Gives me chills, quite nice considering the heat wave ;)
New on agenda: rewatch pilot

Definitely!  I must admit I was quite... what's a good word... intrigued by the pilot yet at the same time affectionately amused and relieved.  While it's amazing to see how much quality production in all the elements of the show we praise was there from the get-go, even they realized they could do a bit of polishing of the rough edges and make it even better when given more time, and I think the episode they ended up with was so much better.  Sure, it's too bad a couple neat shots got cut (the original restaurant scene, Batman Sherlock on the roof... ;D) but the way things ended up with the cabbie, the hospital scenes, Mycroft...  loved it.  And as far as sets go, got the perfect picture to illustrate that and continue the thread, too!

(seriously, as much as it looks like they're giving a neat 'nod' to the old-fashioned style classic Sherlock room, the new flat was so much better!)

July 25, 2013 4:51 pm  #50

This is too much pink, too much stuff, too much light. Too much of everything. I personally couldn't stand such a room. Nobody who is portrayed with a slightly autistic character would live there. No straight lines. No symmetry.  Not enough books.

Last edited by Be (July 25, 2013 4:53 pm)

July 25, 2013 5:05 pm  #51

Yep, Paul  McGuigan wins in the aired episode...again!

July 26, 2013 7:25 pm  #52

Speaking of 'dark and smoky' shots, I swear this one gets me every single time, as far as style/mood goes....

July 26, 2013 7:27 pm  #53

I love this door one matched with Moriarty's entrance to Baker Street.

July 26, 2013 7:36 pm  #54

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

August 1, 2013 1:21 pm  #55

Another unusual shot from ASiP. I like the dominant colours, purple and black plus the metallic shine of light.

August 1, 2013 5:07 pm  #56

Almost forgot that bit when thinking of scenes... wonderful, love it.

August 1, 2013 8:56 pm  #57

besleybean wrote:

Yep, Paul  McGuigan wins in the aired episode...again!

Yes, him and his wallpaper.

August 2, 2013 2:43 am  #58

Be wrote:

Another unusual shot from ASiP. I like the dominant colours, purple and black plus the metallic shine of light.

This reminds me a bit of 'West Side Story'.
"Tonight, tonight, I'll see my love tonight and for us stars will stop where they are."  LOL!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

August 2, 2013 8:51 am  #59

This backyard manages to be ugly and beautiful at the same time.

August 6, 2013 6:33 pm  #60

OOPs, did they accidentally film themselves?

Board footera