BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2013 3:12 pm  #1

How will Series 3 end? (CONTAINS SPOILER DISCUSSION)

So, I wouldn't mind hearing your theories on how you think they will finish Series 3 and make it "just as emotional and painful" or whatever it was that Moffat said, as the end of Series 2.

I put a spoiler warning on this, because in order to discuss it properly we may need to mention a certain character played by a certain other character's real life partner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 6, 2013 3:57 am  #2

Re: How will Series 3 end? (CONTAINS SPOILER DISCUSSION)

Fun Speculation on my part.....

From the " The Game Is Secret. " pic I deduce ( hehe ) the clues SCT , and SO...

So of course i'm thinking it's The Solitary Cycling ,, Trap tour....trip something similar.
In canon that story ends with a marriage being void !? Will Sherlock get to defrock an actual priest/vicar for real lol ?
Could that be the ending of series three .. Emotional and Painful for sure as promised by Moftiss .
The character idk if we can mention needs to be out of the way so 221b can be fully occupied and can resume as normal in the next series imo ,,, it would be too cruel to kill her off so soon surely , so this would be a canonistic alternative . 

A huge inheritance , a defrocked vicar  a void marriage ,and her bowing out !
Obviously Sherlock and 221b will be there to comfort John hmm................

Last edited by lil (July 6, 2013 3:59 am)

July 6, 2013 4:09 am  #3

I don't really have any idea, but I am guessing it either has to do with "His Last Bow" or "The Sign of Four", since those are the only "bows" I can think of (ie: the boat).  I'm thinking John will have significantly less to do with Sherlock since he'll be married and moved out...so maybe it's Sherlock on his own?  If it's "Sign of Four", then that would make the 2nd and 3rd episodes a two-parter of sorts, since "The Sign of Three" is obviously using that story as well.  And if they used "His Last Bow", that might have him working as a spy of sorts.  Which would be pretty fun and a change of pace.

Last edited by sj4iy (July 6, 2013 4:23 am)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 6, 2013 6:39 pm  #4

Well, the last clue is Bow so...there was a whole collection of stories released under the title of His Last Bow, so it could be any one of those I guess.

It could be something involving actors as well, bowing at the end of a performance type of thing.

You say it's too soon to kill off Mary but they did Reichenbach after 5 episodes so nothing is too soon in the Sherlock world. My theory is this:

Mary is a significant factor in cementing Sherlock and John's friendship again after he returns. We've already seen them working together in the first episode so we know that Sherlock gets to know her pretty quickly. I think he will actually rather like her and approve of her rather than making fun like he has over all of John's previous efforts. I know there's been a lot of upset Johnlock fans but the point is, if she gets Sherlock's approval, then she'll get the fans approval. The Sign Of Three is, for me, a rather clever title because it indicates the partnership is not just Sherlock and John anymore, it's Sherlock, John and Mary, like the Three Musketeers, or like the Doctor, Rory and Amy. They work together.

If Mary is to die at the end of the third episode, they will have to build her character that way so the fans get to like her, trust her and approve of her very quickly. She will be BAMF like her husband and clever enough to impress Sherlock occasionally. She will bring something fresh to the partnership.

AND THEN...at the end of episode 3...she will die saving Sherlock's life. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 9, 2013 3:00 am  #5

Harriet Watson consults SH with a a most important case !
The Mystery of The vanishing Case ! ( of Beer )

" I assure you Mr Holmes I remember 100% ( proof ) I only drank three , and yet , when I awoke the next morning all twelve cans were gone!" Hiccups...

"It is imperative you find the missing the nine cans ! "

" John,,,,John....I assure you I am as tober as a sudje"

July 10, 2013 12:46 am  #6

lil - I love it!  You need to write this.  It would be a howl. 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 16, 2013 12:36 pm  #7

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

You say it's too soon to kill off Mary but they did Reichenbach after 5 episodes so nothing is too soon in the Sherlock world. My theory is this:

Mary is a significant factor in cementing Sherlock and John's friendship again after he returns. We've already seen them working together in the first episode so we know that Sherlock gets to know her pretty quickly. I think he will actually rather like her and approve of her rather than making fun like he has over all of John's previous efforts. I know there's been a lot of upset Johnlock fans but the point is, if she gets Sherlock's approval, then she'll get the fans approval. The Sign Of Three is, for me, a rather clever title because it indicates the partnership is not just Sherlock and John anymore, it's Sherlock, John and Mary, like the Three Musketeers, or like the Doctor, Rory and Amy. They work together.

If Mary is to die at the end of the third episode, they will have to build her character that way so the fans get to like her, trust her and approve of her very quickly. She will be BAMF like her husband and clever enough to impress Sherlock occasionally. She will bring something fresh to the partnership.

AND THEN...at the end of episode 3...she will die saving Sherlock's life. 

The story line suggested above seems quite probable to me. I think we will truly come to like Mary Morstan in the first two episodes. I also agree with "the sign of the three" clearly indicating a nod to the John - Mary - Sherlock "threesome" (and yes, I am actually applying that word in a non sexual context ;-) ). I just can't see this going on for long, as the series is supposed to be focused on the Sherlock/John partner-/ friendship.

The most logical version of establishing a future for this partnership would be that Mary has to go somehow in the end. So I also guess it will be either her dying or maybe her being defrocked in the end as something other than we all thought her to be. I would rather prefer the last version, as it would be more "fun" - for lack of a better word, because either way: poor John

But with writers such as Gatiss and Moffat - who knows!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

July 16, 2013 10:02 pm  #8

It would be so cruel, to kill Mary instantly after just introducing her to the show.
Poor John has already so much to suffer during the series (invalid, lonely soldier, kidnapped by chinese gangsters, wrapped in explosives, watching his best friend die).

I hope, it will be an ending which - just in case - can stand alone. I am really worried about a cliffhanger ending without a 4th series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

July 16, 2013 10:03 pm  #9

stoertebeker wrote:

It would be so cruel, to kill Mary instantly after just introducing her to the show.
Poor John has already so much to suffer during the series (invalid, lonely soldier, kidnapped by chinese gangsters, wrapped in explosives, watching his best friend die).

I hope, it will be an ending which - just in case - can stand alone. I am really worried about a cliffhanger ending without a 4th series.

I can't imagine them NOT doing a cliffhanger XD

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 16, 2013 10:07 pm  #10

I think John's wife having a whole season may be enough.
She could last forever, but then would have to be very much in the background.
I dont want her getting in the way of the boys..
So she could get bumped of at the end of S3, but I am beginnig to think it may be poor old John who comes a cropper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 17, 2013 2:46 pm  #11

besleybean wrote:

So she could get bumped of at the end of S3, but I am beginnig to think it may be poor old John who comes a cropper.

*gasp* His Last Blog...

July 17, 2013 2:47 pm  #12

And ending in which we think John might be dead would be a truly amazing cliffhanger.

July 17, 2013 2:51 pm  #13

And may be considered pay back to Sherlock...not that I go with his balance in the Universe thing!

Last edited by besleybean (July 17, 2013 2:51 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 17, 2013 5:22 pm  #14

besleybean wrote:

I think John's wife having a whole season may be enough.
She could last forever, but then would have to be very much in the background.
I dont want her getting in the way of the boys..

This is quite the point. I think we will get to like her and as soon as we get used to the thought of John, Sherlock and Mary being 'together' we will lose her. I would want her to die because even if it would be surely devastating we would hold her in good memory. Giving her a whole season is enough and even I can see this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 19, 2013 7:50 am  #15

Thanks very much, Moffat. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 19, 2013 1:28 pm  #16

Haha, this is typical Moffat. I knew it!!

July 19, 2013 1:36 pm  #17

SusiGo wrote:

Thanks very much, Moffat. 

I hope many Sherlockians know how to commit a murder and make it look like an accident.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 19, 2013 9:04 pm  #18

I'm changing my "end of Series 3" theory in the light of the new title - His Last Vow. It's obviously going to involve something bad happening to John!

July 19, 2013 9:07 pm  #19

I thought it would be Sherlock viewing to the dying Mary that he would look after John but yes...maybe will have to be Sherlok vowing to dying John that he'll look after Mary!

July 19, 2013 9:28 pm  #20

I think it would be awful if Mary dies due to John's involvement with Sherlock. If she has to die then I hope it is not in a way which either of them will feel guilty about by not being able to prevent her being shot, or anything tragic like that.

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

Board footera