BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2013 7:16 am  #21

Re: Remarkable settings - pictures from the episodes

All the museum shots(Ha!) are great.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 15, 2013 3:50 pm  #22

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite threads.  It's right up there with the John and Sherlock picture thread.  Not only am I admiring the production value of the shots, I'm also admiring our Forum members for the artistic eye it takes to pick out these shots and grab just the right moment.  Well done!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 15, 2013 5:00 pm  #23

TBB is full of reflections... goes on to make some screengrabs 
Ok, TGG was in the drive, also one of Paul's and a nice reflection which makes a rather dull situation look so interesting.

Last edited by Maggi13 (July 15, 2013 5:13 pm)

July 15, 2013 5:16 pm  #24

Yes, Paul is keen on these!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 15, 2013 6:12 pm  #25

besleybean wrote:

All the museum shots(Ha!) are great.

Like this one....? 

Ah...  symmetry symmetry symmetry.  And beautiful starkness again from once more having the camera be pulled back quite a ways, like so many others of my favorites (excepting the beautifully opposite cases of varying close-ups).

Mm...  did someone say lighting and 'symmetry' again?    (when first saw it, I was also quite struck by the choice of fading that scene out by having the ceiling lights go out following the boys, one by one... remember?)   And totally agree, KP... it doesn't always come up as much as loving the actors/quality of the show as a whole, but I love the production/art of this show so much, too.  It's noticeable, when they pile it on in so many artistic ways, and in so many details, in every single ep!!  (but... ahem... not taking any credit for all the great screengrabs, though!  ;D  just a few from my huge folder of sherlock images collected over time from other people's screencap blogs since I love to look at them)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 15, 2013 6:22 pm  #26

lol
I made the exact same screenshot a minute ago :-D, in the museum. 

July 17, 2013 7:13 pm  #27

I think it especially wonderful how Sherlock and John are mirrored in the bank's polished marble walls:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 17, 2013 7:54 pm  #28

Beautiful, all these fotos. You made my evening here in hot Italy at the moment (some shots really cool me down ). That´s exactly why I love that show: the compositions and the cooperations of ALL participating parties. I hope that the new directors are artists as well, a lot of that beautiful stuff came from the head of Paul McGuiguan.....

July 18, 2013 4:19 am  #29

Oi.. yes...  forgotten about those reflections, too.  Love well done use of those... pardon for the repeat, I've posted this around before, not so much a 'settings' pic, but it simply remains one of my favorite shots of both the use of a mirror, and of the boys/that moment....

Aaannd...  ahhh....  before wonderful uses of reflections, we were talking about symmetry/balance in the shot?  Mind if I indulge in a bit of both?  I really can't help myself.....          

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

July 18, 2013 7:15 am  #30

I will miss Paul McGuigan in series 3!

Last edited by besleybean (July 18, 2013 7:15 am)

July 18, 2013 6:01 pm  #31

besleybean wrote:

I will miss Paul McGuigan in series 3!

Seriously.  Although to be fair, some of our favorite/gorgeous shots were also done by Euros or Toby!    But speaking of loving the use of balance in a shot, looking through the pics I've saved, many of them reminded me that 'un-balance' to a shot, or at least not always having your subject matter be in the center all the time, gives some awesome artsiness to it as well:

The great photographer's trick/style of pulling your eye into the landscape as well... I'm sure everyone loves this one....  right?   

July 18, 2013 10:50 pm  #32

But no Paul?
I love him and his symmetry and also the epic ways the cameras take for effect. 
But since I have no say I just have to live with it 
It is Sherlock and probably it would be enough if any one pointed any camera at the actors and I would still be happy 

July 19, 2013 7:19 am  #33

Yes I thought Mark was very gracious on the Comic Com panel.  Singing the praises of Paul, but not going overboard, cos I'm sure the new guys will do fine!

July 20, 2013 11:14 pm  #34

besleybean wrote:

Yes I thought Mark was very gracious on the Comic Com panel.  Singing the praises of Paul, but not going overboard, cos I'm sure the new guys will do fine!

Aw, was he?  I mean, I definitely agree with the second sentence, but haven't gotten to hear a whole lot of what was actually /said/ other than a couple one-liners about Series 3 and Moffat on his boys, and Doyle.  Even the little 'report' Sherlockology has put up so far just repeated the quips I heard from tweets... thankfully, someone here posted the video of the panel, but hard to catch everything, and love to hear any of the best tidbits.    For all the talk of Paul in here lately, though, it did remind me of a tweet I saw from him ages back about him and Ben starting work on the Epstein bio-pic, so at least you'll have that coming up....     But my bad... not quite the thread for this, other than all the love of his shots.. was just curious.   Must find a few more favorite shots soon..... 

July 21, 2013 10:14 am  #35

An interesting Sherlock silhouette:

July 21, 2013 1:06 pm  #36

Hmmm..now won't it be interesting if this scene is mirrored in S3/E1.  John sitting quietly and alone after visiting Sherlock's grave. Then, who should come walking down the path, coat all a-swirl, back into John's life.....

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 21, 2013 2:00 pm  #37

Hm, I am just beyon curious. But chances are we will get a lot of great screen shots out of it 

July 22, 2013 6:31 pm  #38

Oooh...    Seriously, yes.  Not seeing him right away, just a bit of that beautifully shifting lighting they like to use, a low angle of someone walking along... see the swirl of 'that' coat....  ;D   
And then -bam-, show us a glimpse inside, or through, one of their perfect settings... maybe not a symmetrical one (ha), but as far as their skill with fitting the scene and mood goes, I've been re-discovering/enjoying so so many wonderful dark and smoky shots in nearly all the eps, too, perfect for seeing a familiar face pass mysteriously through....   like here!

July 22, 2013 6:35 pm  #39

I remember on the commentary, Mark said he wanted to buy this house!

July 22, 2013 8:39 pm  #40

Even the most ordinary things such as a collection of receipts are presented in a beautiful way:

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera