BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2013 6:32 pm  #1

Remarkable settings - pictures from the episodes

The other day, someone (sorry, I just can't remember who of you it was!) posted some stills from  (I think it was) the Antiques museum in TBB – which were remarkable in an Escher-like way.
This reminded me of the fact that we actually still don't have a proper place to put these kinds of pics.
I mean, stills from the episodes that might give the impression of being some kind of work of art - still lifes of ordinary everyday things, for example. Wonderful settings, beautiful sights of carefully composed locations following a special colour scheme, views like paintings, remarkable landscapes – you know what I mean.

Here's – for a start - the beautiful sight of the back of Henry's house in THOB I completely fell in love with.
(Poor Henry appears to be a prisoner unhappily sitting behind glass, framed by a part of the door pane…)
The whole Baskerville episode is a symphony in blue and green – and Henry's house is no exception.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 2, 2013 7:21 pm  #2

Re: Remarkable settings - pictures from the episodes

I just remember from the commentary that Paul made such a  fuss about using this house cos he loved the conservatory, yet we hardly see the conservatory!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 10, 2013 5:42 pm  #3

Hi tobe,
it was me. The the escher-inspired pictures. Want another one? Winglock?

July 10, 2013 5:47 pm  #4

Wonderful, be!
Finally, you found the hint we all were looking for for ages!! Sherlock survived the fall because he isn't only on the side of the angels - he definitely has grown wings!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 10, 2013 5:57 pm  #5

You should see him in a crown.

July 10, 2013 6:03 pm  #6

Sweet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 10, 2013 6:14 pm  #7

I love the one with the wings. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 10, 2013 6:24 pm  #8

If you watch it these two are even a little bit better. On sc.aithine.org there are just these ones. They must have done it deliberately.

July 12, 2013 1:03 pm  #9

Have a look at this picture. The light, the colours and the symmetry. Just beautiful.

July 12, 2013 1:27 pm  #10

Beautiful indeed, Be! You do have a strong eye for aesthetics.
(So does the Sherlock production team!)

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 12, 2013 1:44 pm  #11

I just pick one. The Blind Banker is highly underestimated if you ask me. This picture is one of my favourites because it has all: darkness, shadow and light. High and low, old and new, up and down. John looking up and Sherlock being gone. Dirty and clean. In and out. Pure symbolism.

Last edited by Be (July 12, 2013 1:45 pm)

July 12, 2013 2:04 pm  #12

Look at that. I could easily go on for ever and would get lost in the beauty of them. Find myself staring and must stop to work now. Several layers in Sherlock to find.

Last edited by Be (July 12, 2013 2:06 pm)

July 12, 2013 2:18 pm  #13

Love the winglock. As for myself I'm a tea freak and I love that sitting-room so I'd choose this one :

July 12, 2013 6:23 pm  #14

I especially love this breathtaking scene which is definitely made for the big screen. The car driving around the "Bond Air" plane at the airport.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 12, 2013 6:26 pm  #15

A Paul McGuigan special.

July 12, 2013 8:22 pm  #16

Oooh...  wonderful.... thanks.  Seriously, there are so many absolutely gorgeous shots based in physical/character balance and symmetry.  Love the shot of John posted above... just like the other shot of Mycroft and Sherlock in chairs... then Sherlock and Moriarty... and even Moriarty and Sherlock in the jail cells.....  oh, and another one also courtesy McGuigan and his favorite symmetry:

Actually, Study in Pink was crammed full of character symmetry and shots, wasn't it?  Quite a few times of the boys centering each other on the screen, including when they're in the cab, in their chairs, laughing at the wall, and when they walk away to get dinner at the end, and here:

In a similar vein of Be's picture of contrasts, though, I gotta say one of the shots that (especially when first saw it) caught my intrigue the most for evoking such awesome mood to the scene, was this:   I Love it.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 12, 2013 8:31 pm  #17

And more McGuigan genius!

July 12, 2013 8:32 pm  #18

Yes, wonderful, Russell!

And this one from Scandal:

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 12, 2013 8:48 pm  #19

Huh... I also learned something from Sherlockology thanks to them being the only place I could find a shot of that college (they have great background on every single location spot in the show):

"Roland Kerr College is a fictional educational institution devised as the final location of A Study in Pink. Its twin buildings are a remarkable piece of work however - they are both realised through special visual effects. Rather than being in central London, the main façade of the School of Chemistry at Cardiff University forms the basis for Roland Kerr, mirrored and manipulated through the use of computer graphics. The building is Grade II listed.

Built into the Park Place Main Building in Cardiff's Cathays Park, the Chemistry department forms one of twenty seven academic schools within Cardiff University. The University received its Royal Charter in 1883"

So.....  playful camera/effects trickery, but still pleasingly symmetrical trickery!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

July 15, 2013 2:11 am  #20

Aw, thank you!  You too!  Love that shot… that whole house itself and the stately porch echoing all the way down was perfect… loved the same shot of Lara in it, too….

Oi…. there were so many times when first watching this (and ever after) when I just appreciated so much not only deciding how the scene would look, but their evidently creative attention to the camera… how close/far, what angle, etc..  such as when we first meet Sherlock, opening the body bag and upside down.  So many times the camera placement just 'made' it, plus the choice of lighting.  So I just loved that above shot how they introduced us to Mycroft.  Stuff like that.  Ahem…  but I'll hush…  just preaching to the choir, right?  ;P  ;P  ;D   Perfect thread to appreciate that…

Oh, oh and like Be posted previously, awesome when filmmakers use reflection in a good way, too…

Board footera