BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2013 8:50 pm  #21

Re: "I don't think so, do you?"

I agree, too. maybe like John: "I should follow him now" Irene: "I don´t think so...do you /really think it is a good idea?/"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

July 5, 2013 11:50 am  #22

Wait... I've been confused about this whole conversation since I saw it.
Possibly the "I don't think so, do you?" line was just said weird. Reading it now it makes sense... but when she says it the emphasis just sort of makes it odd.
But here's the thing- Irene says she's gay? 
I have 2 problems with this line.
Firstly- She could have been replying to John's exasperated comment about no one being sure what or how Sherlock thinks or flirts or his sexuality. (PROBABLY not true.. but interesting to think about)

Secondly- a gay woman wouldn't get dilated pupils and an increased heart rate from a man. She also wouldn't have a school girl crush on him and change her phone password to his name. The phone could POSSIBLY be just an obsession with his intelligence or something, but the physical reaction to his touch/presence is something that can't be faked. Heart rates can be manipulated internally sure, but eye dilation? And if it was manipulated then there would be no obvious connection between her physical response and Sherlock's conclusion about the password.

Are we sure she's gay? Something doesn't add up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"You being all mysterious with your cheek bones and turning your collar up so you look cool..."
"I don't do that!"
"YEAH yuh do!"

July 5, 2013 12:26 pm  #23

I think it was meant like "you know, before meeting Sherlock I thought I was gay. I am living together with a woman as you know. But look where we are: You (John) are hetero and now love a man (Sherlock), I (Irene) am gay and now love a man (Sherlock)."
It´s of course not the same kind of love about what she´s talking . John´s love is deep true friendship and her love is a mixture of intellectual fascination and sexual attraction. But it brings both of them in a similar position that time (at the Battersea power station).

Last edited by anjaH_alias (July 5, 2013 12:31 pm)

July 6, 2013 9:52 am  #24

Ah.. that makes WAY more sense now! hahaha thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"You being all mysterious with your cheek bones and turning your collar up so you look cool..."
"I don't do that!"
"YEAH yuh do!"

July 8, 2013 5:56 pm  #25

Has nobody heard the term "bisexual"? I mean, come on...Irene could be into both men and women; she has had encounters with both sexes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 8, 2013 7:39 pm  #26

Yep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 8, 2013 8:43 pm  #27

kittykat wrote:

Has nobody heard the term "bisexual"? I mean, come on...Irene could be into both men and women; she has had encounters with both sexes.

But she says about herself that she´s gay. I always understood it in that way that she had professional sex with both, men and women, but is loving (and living together with) women. The sentence makes no sense for me if not.

July 9, 2013 8:36 am  #28

anjaH_alias wrote:

I think it was meant like "you know, before meeting Sherlock I thought I was gay. I am living together with a woman as you know. But look where we are: You (John) are hetero and now love a man (Sherlock), I (Irene) am gay and now love a man (Sherlock)."
It´s of course not the same kind of love about what she´s talking . John´s love is deep true friendship and her love is a mixture of intellectual fascination and sexual attraction. But it brings both of them in a similar position that time (at the Battersea power station).

Completely agree - nothing to add!

I think this is probably the most beautiful scene of this episode or well, together with the "Sherlocked-scene".

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

July 9, 2013 9:41 am  #29

I confess I've always been very uncomfortable with this moment, mainly because of my issues around Irene and Sherlock and attraction...
But I think it's one of the best locations ever.
The camera work,music and all of the acting is brilliant.
I am a Benedict fan. But I distinctly remember thinking at this part: wow, Martin must get another BAFTA nom. He plays it to perfection: John is confused, worried, out of his comfort zone...but his loyalty to and love for Sherlock shine through.
He just thinks Irene is trouble and wants to protect Sherlock from her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera