BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2013 11:10 am  #21

Re: Why was Sherlock looking for a flat mate at that point?

KeepersPrice wrote:

Bee, I suppose this might be possible in canon as both brothers are drawn as rather eccentric and a touch bohemian; but in BBC Sherlock, they seem to come from a privledged, highly educated, if not wealthy background. Mycroft is completely accepted in society, is in the highest echelons of the government which he apparently controls, and appears to be a polished gentleman from his head to his umbrella. I'm not feeling quite the "oddness" from this show that you seem to be refering to.

In canon, it would have been a bit different because the old inheritance rules were still in effect - Mycroft would have inherited everything (or would be expecting to inherit everything, if the parents are still living), and Sherlock, as the younger son, had to make his own way.  (Of course, being the younger son of a wealthy family would afforded him education and connections a less well-off family wouldn't have.)  In one story, he tells Watson that his ancestors were country squires, but that still tells us nothing about his own parents.

I don't feel the 'oddness' either.  Sherlock has expensive taste in clothes and I don't see him dressing to keep up with the Jonses.  Rather, he's simply accustomed to nicer things.  And Mycroft seems to be treated as an equal at the palace, whereas John - ordinary middle class - is as visibly awed and out of his element as I would be in that situation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

April 3, 2013 1:22 pm  #22

interesting ideas, girls! really.I thought about the money situation many times. Sherlock is not practical with money, as we can see from the situations described /returning the cheque to Seb etc./. but where he got the money for living then? I assume the rent in central London /with two bedrooms, large living room, kitchen etc/ is unimaginably expensive, isn´t it? even divided into two. Sherlock uses public transport very seldom /only if covered in blood :-) /, he always takes a cab...in this point the idea of Mycroft holding money seems really interesting to me..
and something else: in SiP, when John returns to Baker st. after being "kidnapped" by Mycroft, Sherlock asks him if he had accepted the money - and then replies something like "pity, we could share it" - I understand it´s a half joke, but!? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

April 3, 2013 5:50 pm  #23

Oh yes he clearly has money, I'm not disputing that really.

Its a sense of him as an outsider. Or maybe that's wishful thinking. He'd be a whole lot more interesting as an outsider.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 4, 2013 1:28 am  #24

I think Sherlock's just not interested in money. Like the solar system he probably doesn't see it as important (i.e. rejecting the cheque).
I can't remember what episode (maybe TBB?) but John starts to ask if he can borrow some money from Sherlock but gets interrupted. Suggests that Sherlock has more money lying around than John. So John must be aware of the fact that he 'come from money' or at least has a reasonable amount of it.
And like Sally says 'he doesn't get paid for any of this'.
My guess is he either wanted a flat mate to share in his adventures or isn't aware that he could afford it on his own.
Do you ever see the point when John and Sherlock move in together in canon?

================================================================

April 4, 2013 2:08 am  #25

Michele wrote:

'A Study in Scarlet' by Sir ACD. Chapter 2. The Science of Deduction:

"We met next day as he had arranged, and imspected the rooms at No. 221b Baker Street, of which he had spoken at our meeting.  They consisted of a couple of comfortable bedrooms and a single large airy sitting-room, cheerfully furnished, and illuminated by two broad windows.  So desirable in every way were the apartments, and so moderate did the terms seem when divided between us, that the bargain was concluded on the spot, and we at once entered into possession.  That very evening I moved my things round from the hotel, and on the following morning Sherlock Holmes followed me with several boxes and portmanteaus.  For a day or two we were busily employed in unpacking and laying out our property to the best advantage.  That done, we gradually began to settle down and to accommodate ourselves to our new surroundings."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

April 4, 2013 3:25 am  #26

KeepersPrice wrote:

Michele wrote:

'A Study in Scarlet' by Sir ACD. Chapter 2. The Science of Deduction:

"We met next day as he had arranged, and imspected the rooms at No. 221b Baker Street, of which he had spoken at our meeting. They consisted of a couple of comfortable bedrooms and a single large airy sitting-room, cheerfully furnished, and illuminated by two broad windows. So desirable in every way were the apartments, and so moderate did the terms seem when divided between us, that the bargain was concluded on the spot, and we at once entered into possession. That very evening I moved my things round from the hotel, and on the following morning Sherlock Holmes followed me with several boxes and portmanteaus. For a day or two we were busily employed in unpacking and laying out our property to the best advantage. That done, we gradually began to settle down and to accommodate ourselves to our new surroundings."

Cool. Thanks! I haven't got to Study in Scarlet yet. On my ever growing reading list. Moftiss had it pretty spot on then.

================================================================

April 4, 2013 7:03 am  #27

The thing is though what are we basing the idea that he has money on? The fact he has a posh accent and acts like he does? Yes he has nice clothes and stuff but that is how it in in the movies, characters do own inexplicably expensive stuff. Re "take my card", I'd see that as him just not thinking either way-he's the kind of guy who if he wants something, or his friend wants something, he'd buy it and not think too hard about where the money came from.

Its pretty clear Mycroft has money, so I'm guessing Sherlock's account always has a minimum in it. But just being old money even (and I'm still skeptical) does not necessarily mean you can afford 1k a month in rent. There's a decent chance a fair bit of their money would be locked up in trust funds, educational funds (eg to educate their kids), or needed to maintain Holmes manor and the chess pieces.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"

April 4, 2013 4:33 pm  #28

It is unlikely that any money that was locked up into a trust fund would still be in one. Trust funds usually end at something like 21 years of age.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 4, 2013 7:55 pm  #29

you can have funds that pay out under certain conditions though, like on marrying or producing the first male heir in a borough with a "F" in it., or that mature at a later age.  Thats the only thing I can think of-otherwise I'm guessing the money would have been spent.

I'm guessing that the Sherlock we see in the series is in his mid thirties. That gives him around 12-15 years to have spent his trust fund if it matured at 21. If he did indeed have a serious drug habit in that time, and if he has also never had til now a job that pays much, and been spending the money on living in central London and buying coats it seems pretty unlikely that there would be much left. And its a really big deal to gain power over another person's finances without their permission-I know Mycroft is powerful but still, it implies a serious drug habit, far more than we see in canon.

Last edited by beekeeper (April 4, 2013 7:57 pm)

June 30, 2013 8:58 pm  #30

I think that Sherlock had been in the flat for a while - all his books are on shelves, his equipment is scattered throughout - but it stays that way, so it doesn't look like it was just moved in. 

I don't believe Mycroft had anything to do with John being chosen as a flat mate - but it is possible that he had vetted some other possible people - and they didn't pass the test about spying on Sherlock for money. 
Although, I don't believe Mycroft would have chosen John - He'd prefer someone who fell into line more easily - it's clear that he and John will never be friendly together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

June 30, 2013 9:56 pm  #31

I'm really not sure at all about the involvement of Mycroft prior to John moving in. This is so far distanced from canon that I just cannot envision Mycroft being involved. I think everything, as in canon, is happenstance.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2013 2:48 am  #32

butterfly grl wrote:

I think that Sherlock had been in the flat for a while - all his books are on shelves, his equipment is scattered throughout - but it stays that way, so it doesn't look like it was just moved in.

When John walks into the flat for the first time at 7pm the day after he meets Sherlock, the director gives us a panning shot of what John sees.  It's not great quality because it was moving, but here's the first part:

Those are piled-up boxes and wooden crates full of stuff  of Sherlock's. I doubt Sherlock is living in a flat with boxes piled on his chairs, with no place to work or use his laptop.   Also, note the plastic bin on the floor under the window. Moving to the right, in the same panning shot:

That's a trunk on the sofa packed  full of Sherlock's stuff.  A bit later in this scene Sherlock will start unpacking some of it to the bookcase in the background.  That looks like a printer  on the floor, and his violen lying haphazardly on the end of the sofa. I believe that pillow ends up in one of the chairs.  And of course, another full packing box in the foreground.  Later, John is speaking to Mrs. Warson about needing two bedrooms:

This one is a little better because the camera wasn't moving.  Note that the mirror over the mantelpiece, isn't.  It's on the floor behind that chair. The TV is missing, though by the time John returns to the flat later at night, Sherlock sugegsts he can watch telly,  I will presume Mrs. Hudson was busy while they were gone.  Even so, in the later scene, there is still a big pile of books under the window.  Also the shelves behind John are essentially empty, they are not later on.

It seems patently obvious to me that Sherlock has done exactly what he said he did: looked at the flat and moved in that day.  It is, after all, 7 at night, so he could have been unpacking for a bit.  Otherwise, why would Mrs. Hudson, in this scene, express any surprise that the kitchen table is covered with Sherlock's science equiptment?  It was always covered with it.  She would have seen this all the time. Where would her surprise come from?

I don't believe Mycroft had anything to do with John being chosen as a flat mate

Maybe he didn't.  But he has rather a lot of personal information on John, who actually hasn't moved in, yet, but only appeared at the flat for a few minutes and then went to a crime scene. I'm not sure how he does that without foreknowledge.

Although, I don't believe Mycroft would have chosen John - He'd prefer someone who fell into line more easily - it's clear that he and John will never be friendly together.

That's one way of looking at it.  Another would be that Mycroft was testing John, seeing if he would be fearful in the face of perceived threat or cave in to bribery.  Sherlock needs someone with courage and loyalty, or at least, character, to start with.   And Mycroft and John are friendly together, if not necessarily "friends."   I think the last person Mycroft would choose is anyone who would "fall into line"  because one of Mycroft's goals is to mask from Sherlock the very fact they he set up their meeting, as it would guarantee Sherlock would reject that person.

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (July 1, 2013 3:03 am)

July 6, 2013 11:31 am  #33

Well, in 'A Study in Scarlet' it is because the rent is too expensive for Holmes to pay alone.

Last edited by Jacco111 (July 6, 2013 11:31 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

Board footera