BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2012 10:02 am  #1

Everything we need to know about Lara Pulver including interviews

The Baker Steet Babes have interviewed Lara Pulver in their latest podcast. I listened to the audio first, but I must admit to enjoying the transcript more. Her take on the character is interesting because of the controversy it seemed to cause. It is certainly worth listening to for the brief insights into read throughs etc. for those who enjoy 'behind the scenes' stuff.

http://bakerstreetbabes.tumblr.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 16, 2012 1:39 pm  #2

Re: Everything we need to know about Lara Pulver including interviews

I have just found out that Lara Pulver is an Essex girl, although a IMBD website says Kent! No she isn't from Kent. Not unless Southend-on-Sea has moved to the other side of the Thames estuary without me noticing!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 16, 2012 1:49 pm  #3

Can't you hear her accent?

It's very much there.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 16, 2012 5:39 pm  #4

Oh Lordy! Probably not,  because that's my area of the country and I guess I'm not attuned to hearing the accent in the way I would be, say, to an Irish accent. I am usually very aware of accents and am a dreadful mimic (not as in bad, it's just that I rapidly mirror people's speech) which has been very useful when learning foreign languages.

Also our local press never mentions her, whereas they are always going on about Helen Mirren (who always says how much she hated the place) and Kara Tointon (not sure my spelling of her name is correct) and the 'Countdown' Maths expert woman whose name I forget (not Carol Vorderman).

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 27, 2012 1:33 pm  #5

Lara will be at the BATFAs tonight. She has tweeted that she will not be going in Irene's "battle dress". 'Call me old fashioned and all...!'

May 27, 2012 5:50 pm  #6

Davina wrote:

Lara will be at the BATFAs tonight. She has tweeted that she will not be going in Irene's "battle dress". 'Call me old fashioned and all...!'

Mm, looking foward to seeing footage/pics from this, she looked sooo glamorous even in her outddoor clothes on Sherlock!

Re: her accent in Sherlock and her origins (I've not heard her in other roles but presume it's like her reallife accent?), this mystified me too as it doesn't quite sound like anywhere consistently, and is not pure SE - to me it sounded as if there's a Liverpudlian or at least a 'northern' element in it somehow.

Davina wrote:

I have just found out that Lara Pulver is an Essex girl, although a IMBD website says Kent! No she isn't from Kent. Not unless Southend-on-Sea has moved to the other side of the Thames estuary without me noticing!!

I read this too and checked a BMD site, her birth was registered in Southend on Sea district but to my ears (and accents are something I notice though am rubbish at mimicing) she does not speak with an Essex accent  - at least, I dated someone born and bred next door to 'Saafend' for three years, and listened to Ian Dury quite a bit and this isn't it.
     One doesn't necessarily grow up where one's birth is registered, nor speak with the 'local' accent either. I lived in East Kent for a few years, and I agree, what local accent I heard there doesn't quite fit. So I wondered if she had a parent from elsewhere (eg I still spoke with my parents' accent when we moved across the north/south divide). Her dad seemed pretty certainly of SE origin, and there is a strong candidate for her mum based on age, also registered in the SE. So dead end.
Or so I thought...but in revisiting the sites whilst writing this message I discover I'd dismissed another possible candidate for her mum - whose birth was registered in Liverpool!
So I think that's probably it? 
Sherlock would not have made the mistake I did first time round. Sigh.

NB BMD information is in the public domain for anyone who looks for it, such as via the UK National Archives. If however you think it shouldn't be on this site, let me know and I'll edit.

And Thanks Sherlockskitty for help with the emoticons
*Puts out big e-bowl full of 221B smiley marked cat treats and porcelain bowl, with swirly map logo on it, containing cat tea*

Last edited by Britigander (May 27, 2012 5:52 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important thing I have learnt from 'Sherlock':
British army research bases keep their bins at the bottom of a quite deep lift shaft.

May 27, 2012 6:58 pm  #7

I suppose also that being an actress she adapts her accent and certainly there can be traits from one or both parents' accents in their offspring.

Helen Mirren was born, bred and educated in Southend-on-Sea and she certainly doesn't have an Essex accent anymore, if she ever did. Likewise David Tennant's accent in Doctor Who is not Scottish but his own accent certainly is.

May 27, 2012 10:03 pm  #8

Davina wrote:

Helen Mirren was born, bred and educated in Southend-on-Sea and she certainly doesn't have an Essex accent anymore

Heh! Certainly not that I've heard! Perhaps she only does it in secret or with her family or childhood friends...John Barrymore does a nice Glaswegian with his parents, if I remember rightly. John Tennant gets to do his native accent in 'Tooth and Claw' (how does the Tardis adjust that for their listeners?..or does it?..OK, not a question for this thread).
    Something I've always wondered is whether all actors have to learn a range of accents at actor school. I know some (like Martin Jarvis) are 'voice artists', perhaps these are the ones like yourself who are naturally good mimics. Has Phil Davis done anyhing not in SE accent?
I wouldn't have thought Lara's Irene accent is a learnt one, it's too 'quirky'?

Ooh, did you see her on the  Union flag carpet? The streaming was very bad for the first 15mins and I just saw occasional frozen images of people's feet or knees in the outside shots.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
British army research bases keep their bins at the bottom of a quite deep lift shaft.

May 27, 2012 10:15 pm  #9

Two beautiful images of Lara in the BAFTAs, specially for mor
I love the dress, by the way

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 27, 2012 10:18 pm  #10

Wow! Classy!
Thanks Irene.

May 27, 2012 10:46 pm  #11

Thanks Irene,

She does look amazing but then there's that little bit extra length on the dress and I just can't help but think how impractical it is...

I'm a function and form kinda guy and on this one occasion I've got to say Lara falls slightly short of the bar.

...it's a lovely pattern though.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 27, 2012 10:51 pm  #12

Oh, yes, if I had to wear something like that I would surely hit my nose on the floor in about five seconds 
Not practical at all. But a beautiful design apart from that.

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 28, 2012 10:16 am  #13

The short train should just kind of drag along behind her. You know like a puppy or drooling men! Lol I like the black lace over lighter base colour. It actually looks quite Spanish. It suits her colouring.

May 28, 2012 1:23 pm  #14

That looks quite a practically sized handbag. Besides camera phone, comb and compact, wonder what she has in it? Being practical, perhaps lots of Kleenex in those little packets, as crying may follow any result and can be handed round as necessary; and smelling salts in case the surprise of winning totally overwhelmed Andrew?

Edited to add

Brilliant 'short train' simile, Davina, great instant image of big adoring eyes and tongues hangin out. 
(And perhaps Harry's too)

Last edited by Britigander (May 28, 2012 5:21 pm)

June 7, 2012 11:06 am  #15

Davina wrote:

The short train should just kind of drag along behind her. You know like a puppy or drooling men! Lol I like the black lace over lighter base colour. It actually looks quite Spanish. It suits her colouring.

Drooling men indeed Agree she looks wonderful in the dress!

I did not see this blurb posted yet anywhere so I apologize if someone beat me to it. Lara has been cast in a new historical fantasy television show DaVinci's Demons about Leonardo and the Medici's. Sounds like great fun and I will wait for it eagerly

Lara's new TV series

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 7, 2012 11:26 am  #16

Sounds good, hope we get it over here (UK)

June 7, 2012 11:30 am  #17

I think you will Jane because it is a Starz-BBC collaboration!

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 16, 2012 12:36 am  #18

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/lara-pulver-the-infamous-111second-scene-with-sherlock-that-made-my-career-go-pop-7854215.html

If Lara Pulver is sick of talking about that scene, she does a convincing job of hiding it. But the one thought about her naked turn as dominatrix Irene Adler in BBC1’s Sherlock Benedict Cumberbatch that she can’t stomach is that some of the 2.5 million viewers who watched it on iPlayer might have paused every frame. At this, she looks horrified, puts her fingers in her ears and sings: “La la la la la. I don’t want to know."

When I mentioned to male colleagues that I had interviewed Pulver, they went gooey-eyed — although the 31-year-old has plenty of female admirers too. And now she has won international recognition for the role, with a nomination for the American Critics’ Choice Television Awards, alongside Jessica Lange,  Julianne Moore and Emily Watson.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 12:58 pm  #19

Good article. My only gripe, yet again, is that she was not born in Kent, she was born in Essex and went to school later in Kent.

June 16, 2012 1:00 pm  #20

Oh .
Um , yes.
I see your point with that.

I guess.

yeaaaaaah, totally see your point.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera