BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 13, 2012 8:42 pm  #21

Re: Our childhood books

I was reading before I went to school and I used to read Topsy and Tim books.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 13, 2012 8:50 pm  #22

I remember making my older sister read Dr. Seuss to me again and again(particularly the most tongue-tying ones ... )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

November 13, 2012 9:00 pm  #23

I used to save up my pocket money to buy Enid Blyton's ' Adventure' and ' Mystery' 'of' series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 13, 2012 9:02 pm  #24

besleybean wrote:

I used to save up my pocket money to buy Enid Blyton's ' Adventure' and ' Mystery' 'of' series.

Oh yes, me too! I knew them all by heart then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 13, 2012 9:02 pm  #25

My sister and me had Enid Blyton's "Hanni und Nanni" - in English I think called St. Clare’s

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 13, 2012 9:05 pm  #26

A book that really impressed me at the age of 11 was Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh.
It felt like "Welcome to your book!"
I liked many other books as well, but this was different. So real.
What a pity Louise Fitzhugh died rather early.

Story: Harriet wants to become a writer and lives in Manhattan. She OBSERVES and spies out her neighbourhood daily.
She gets in trouble once the children in her class find out what she writes about them in her diary.

Last edited by Harriet (November 13, 2012 9:13 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 13, 2012 9:07 pm  #27

Other early books I remember are AA Milne's Winnie the Pooh series.

January 17, 2013 12:20 pm  #28

I loved Erich Kästner, Astrid Lindgren and Enid Blyton, too. One of my favourites was a retelling of the King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table saga. I tried to find the book later but couldn't and finally persuaded the library to sell it to me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 27, 2013 1:52 am  #29

To name a few, I always liked the books by Charles Dickens and Mark Twain, as well as the fairytales of H.C Andersen and the brothers Grimm. My mother always read classical children's books for me as a kid. She considered most of the more modern ones to be simply nonsensical. I remember that she used to ask me a lot of questions when reading (Why do you think he did that? Do you think this person expected him to do that? How do you think this person will react to what he did? etc.) and I think that's why, even though I learned to read myself very early, preferred having other people read to me as a kid. I really enjoyed discussing the things I was hearing. I've never really thought of it before, but I think that doing that sort of thing can be quite beneficial when it comes to growth. 

My father didn't really read that much for me. He made up the stories himself. They were actually really great and well thought through, and not at all cheesy as you would expect. I'm still kind of fascinated by the extent of his imagination when it comes to storytelling.

“Is that a British Army Browning L9A1 in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?"

April 27, 2013 10:23 am  #30

When I was a child I loved all the "Grimm" fairy tales. Unfortunately I did not grow up with "The Hobbit" unlike other children. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 27, 2013 10:26 am  #31

No I think every member of my family gave it a go and couldn't get away with it.

May 3, 2013 4:55 am  #32

Mary Me wrote:

When I was a child I loved all the "Grimm" fairy tales. Unfortunately I did not grow up with "The Hobbit" unlike other children. 

Aw, don't feel bad.  Getting into the fandom and hearing about all these people who grew up having read the Sherlock stories, or the Hobbit, despite having been a big reader, I wonder how the heck I missed out on that!  Was never introduced to them… think partly my parents didn't keep up on 'classic fantasy', or never pointed it out/thought it was for older readers.  Introduced me to plenty other famous children's authors, though, and the usual fairy tales (although didn't read all of Grimm until older).

I admit I got hooked on most of the typical easy fun/engaging kid's series like Encyclopedia Brown, Babysitter's Club, Nancy Drew, various horse-themed ones, and then of course loved some of the 'classic' titles like The Cricket In Times Square, Julie of the Wolves, King of the Wind, The Giver, even discovered a few Pippi Longstocking books.

Plus, you could give me anything by Avi, Jane Yolen, E.B. White, Bruce Coville, Roald Dahl, or Katherine Paterson and I'd read it, so figured would save space with titles from all of them. ;)  (all of them really are great authors!).  I even remember one very oddly different one that stuck out/stuck with me, with it's strange story and idea about human connection - The Only Alien On the Planet.  Bet even an adult would still find it interesting...

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 4, 2013 11:21 am  #33

I had forgotten but I used to love reading stories by Ursula le Guin. If you like mildly unsettling fantasy type stories I can thoroughly recommend these, even for adult readers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 10, 2013 5:43 pm  #34

The Harry Potter series were my favourites, I was about 8 when the first once came out, I think.
Before they came out, my regular reads were the Babysitters Club, the Goosebumps books and Selby, the Wonder Dog.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

May 16, 2013 9:55 pm  #35

My favourite authors as a child were:

* Dick King Smith: he's the one who wrote "The Sheep-pig", which was, long later, made into the movie "Babe"; but also books like Magnus Powermouse, Martin's mice, Sophie's snail...etc etc. I just loved his stories, especially all those which took place in a farm. So many wonderful reading memories...

* Marcel Aymé: I especially loved his "Contes du Chat Perché" (I think it had been translated as "The magic pictures" and "The wonderful farm"), also little stories taking place in a farm, when I think about it. Funny I hadn't noticed such an obvious common point before, lol.

* Pef: a really funny French children books author. He plays with words wonderfully.

And my favourite book (which still is a favourite of mine more than 20 years later) is "The Little Prince" by Antoine de St Exupéry. It is so poetical, so true, so sad... I love it to bits...

Just like old times...

May 17, 2013 2:25 pm  #36

The Little Prince is, I think, a masterpiece of its genre.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 22, 2013 10:44 pm  #37

^ The book 'Night Flight' I liked best from de Saint-Exupéry. :o)

It doesn't surprise me, that the variety of the childhood books depends on the home country of the reader. :o) Cultural influence?

Mine have been the typical 'german' classics as well :o)

Astrid Lindgren - Die Brüder Löwenherz (The Brothers Lionheart), Ronja Räubertochter (Ronia, The Robber's Daughter)
Michael Ende - Die unendliche Geschichte (The Neverending Story)
Ottfried Preussler - Das kleine Gespenst (The Little Ghost), Krabat (the same in english)
Fairytales by Hans-Christian Andersen + Wilhelm Hauff

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

Board footera