BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2013 6:30 pm  #21

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Be wrote:

I just read "The Science of Sherlock Holmes" in german: Die Wissenschaft bei Sherlock Holmes und die Anfänge der Gerichtsmedizin by E.J. Wagner.
It is for me some fun because of the connection to Sherlock and some work related reading because of things I do professionally.

You can learn a lot but it is also enjoyable to read.

I am intrigued... what do you do professionally? *strokes invisible goatee*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

May 30, 2013 12:38 am  #22

So I've just finished 'Ruth' by Elizabeth Gaskell and it was incredible! Now I'm not sure what to read next. I spent about half an hour standing in front of my bookshelf last night trying to decide but realised I was too emotionally drained from 'Ruth' to decide then. Any suggestions?

================================================================

May 30, 2013 1:27 am  #23

I'm actually reading several books right now, on top of all the fanfiction I can safely cover in a few hours a day: Ivan Hoe, The Other Boleyn Girl, a textbook on Evolution, a 10 story anthology of Poe and the second half of the Sherlock Holmes canon (the novels.) Yeah, this is the truth. I almost literally have a book in every room of the house. Plus, the two on my desk and fanfic on my phone, I think there are ten or so fanfics I'm following at the moment. LOL, you can all laugh at me! Sometimes I get so into a story that I stand at the stove and read it while I cook.

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

May 30, 2013 12:46 pm  #24

I really like Philippa Gregory's books. I live just up the road, literally, from where Anne Boleyn's sister and husband lived (a firens lives i part of the moated manor house that was theirs)  and we have a local pub called The Anne Boleyn (the Bullen's- for that is what they were- were big landowners around here).I am also a long term fan of Poe- I enjoy his poetry too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 30, 2013 4:07 pm  #25

Took up the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series, currently in book 3, A Storm of Swords.

It's amazing!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

May 31, 2013 9:19 pm  #26

I'm doing the carnegie project at school. On book 6, In Darkness. I'm only like 10 pages through it though! Got to keep going!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 1, 2013 7:41 am  #27

Be wrote:

No, not what you think. I am not a pathologist. From time to time I have to read forensic reports. I look at it from the other side of the fence, like Mr. Crayhill.

Ah right. Still sounds interesting thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

June 1, 2013 8:09 am  #28

I'm still reading the thriller "Die da kommen" (org. "Uninvited"). Wow, it's getting really creepy... And of course the translation is flawless, Susi 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 1, 2013 11:42 am  #29

Mary Me wrote:

I'm still reading the thriller "Die da kommen" (org. "Uninvited"). Wow, it's getting really creepy... And of course the translation is flawless, Susi 

My mum is reading this at the moment and she really likes the protagonist. 
I will have a go when she's finished.

I am reading 'Love Always' by Harriet Evans at the moment. It was a birthday present and I wouldn't have bought it myself because it is pretty much made up like a typical chick flick, which I ususually don't like at all. But it is actually more of a family story and it is really quite nice.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

June 1, 2013 1:43 pm  #30

"Nocarz" by Magdalena Kozak. I don't know if there is an English version.

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

June 1, 2013 4:08 pm  #31

"The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury. One of my all time favourites. I read it every three or four years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 1, 2013 10:05 pm  #32

Ray Bradbury! Such a massive fan, particularly of his short stories...creepy!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 1, 2013 10:08 pm  #33

He's one of the best! His short stories are so toughing. I think he understands how people work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 1, 2013 10:13 pm  #34

Often they are unsettling and slightly out of kilter. 

June 1, 2013 10:19 pm  #35

Absolutely. I've just recently used one for my private lesson, but I forgot its name. (Shame on me!) It was about a pupil on another planet who was forced into a closet by his (or her) classmates and hence missed the only two hours of sunlight for the next century.

Creepy, but unfortunately most of the time you think: "Yes, people are that way"

June 8, 2013 12:50 pm  #36

Okay, I just finished the Thriller from Liz Jensen. Umm, call me naive but I would have preferred a happy ending. Though, it was great stuff to read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 9, 2013 5:29 pm  #37

I've just started 1984 and I'm really excited. I've heard it's brilliant! 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 9, 2013 7:44 pm  #38

Molly Hooper wrote:

I've just started 1984 and I'm really excited. I've heard it's brilliant! 

Briliant idea. It's been ages since I've last read it. I should keep it in mind for the summer holidays.

(I love your signature, BTW. I've only just recognized it! )

June 9, 2013 8:41 pm  #39

I love CP signatures, Molly. Should get one again myself. 

I just finished "1916" by Morgan Llywelyn (research for my new book) and now I'm tempted to read "In Transition" about Benedict. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 10, 2013 8:35 pm  #40

Started DEAD MAN'S FOLLY by Agatha Christie yesterday. Only my second Christie read after TEN LITTLE...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

Board footera