BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2013 3:36 pm  #1

What are you reading at the moment?

I can't believe we don't have a thread like this already!

I am reading Norwegian Woods by Haruki Murakami - what about you? 

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

May 19, 2013 4:18 pm  #2

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

At the moment I'm reading the novel Susi gave to us yesterday "Die da kommen".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 19, 2013 5:53 pm  #3

Fanfiction, fanfiction...........and................fanfiction.

Just finished Come To The Edge and will start with Electric Pink Hand Grenade now. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 19, 2013 7:03 pm  #4

Oh, I'm reading "Electric Pink Hand Grenade" again at the moment. It's one of my favourites. 

Like you I'm a reading fanfic (a lot), "A Letter to Mary" by Laurie King and "1916" by Morgan Llywelyn for research. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 19, 2013 7:14 pm  #5

After having finished EPHG and "Revisionist" I'm now reading "The Progress of Sherlock Holmes".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 19, 2013 8:40 pm  #6

I've just finished the fanfic "The Blog of Eugenia Watson" (which worked for me in a strange way, probably because the writing is really good) and will put my Kindle aside for a while to read "The Univited" by Liz Jensen .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 19, 2013 9:30 pm  #7

Still reading the Game of Thrones but I am on the second book now. My daughter is very pleased because she has received a copy of American Psycho from my late father's library. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 19, 2013 11:19 pm  #8

Davina wrote:

Still reading the Game of Thrones but I am on the second book now.

Is the series good? I haven't seen the TV show. Bought the first book the other day.

Currently reading 'Ruth' by Elizabeth Gaskell.

================================================================

May 19, 2013 11:23 pm  #9

I love watching Game of Thrones, but I didn't read the books. I would recommend the show to everybody who doesn't mind a bit of brutality and .. well ... sex. Typical HBO show!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 20, 2013 6:02 am  #10

The books are pretty much the same as above. Really enjoyable as well.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 20, 2013 6:06 am  #11

Currently reading Sherlock Holmes!
Bought it only two days ago and already read five and a half stories. Yesterday I read two aloud to my brother. My parents were listening, too a bit.

May 21, 2013 1:25 pm  #12

Right now I'm reading a series of books by Canadian author Kelley Armstrong, called "Women of the Otherworld", it is of the supernatural genre. Very good so far , I've also just finished reading The Legend of Zelda Hyrule Historia and Dragon Age World of Thedas, and a few novels by author Libba Bray. I love her stuff, the Gemma Doyle Trilogy and Going Bovine are great books! I highly reccomend them 

-------------------------------------------------------

May 22, 2013 2:50 am  #13

Because I just saw STID I've been flashing back to my SF convention days, so I'm re-reading "Bimbos of the Death Star" by Sharyn McCrumb.  It's a hilarious little murder mystery that takes place at a SF convention called Rubicon. I couldn't stop laughing when I read it a couple of years ago and I can't stop laughing now. 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

May 22, 2013 3:19 am  #14

Aww, man.... I just wanted to say great idea for a thread, and wish I had a current answer to add to everyone else's!  Nice to see what other fans into similar stuff (or semi-similar, at least) pick up, and get some new suggestions!   I tend to go through phases... am I the only one?.... 'omg I'm behind on all these seasons must watch All The Shows!!!' and plowed through the first seasons of Game of Thrones (didn't read the books, but all the buzz had me curious), the last season I missed of BBC Being Human, several seasons of Quantum Leap after being bitten by the nostalgia bug, House of Cards after hearing so much buzz on (and worth it to watch, if you like that kinda thing!), and various movies and current shows wrapping up to their spring finales.  Then easier to shift focus back to 'omg catch up on All The Books!!!!'  Frankly, about time, since you start to miss it after a while if you love reading, you know?  That big pile I got for xmas is just sitting on the shelf to my side.... taunting....     

Pretty much all of them are the next titles out of series, however, if you're looking for other good ones to pick up or something long-running to lose yourself in:    'Frost Burned' by Patricia Briggs (Silver, you might love her Mercy Thompson series if into supernatural ), 'The Twelve' by Justin Cronin (sequel to The Passage, heavy/intriguing apocalyptical survivors vampire-ish experiment gone wrong), 'A Study In Sherlock' (a neat multi-author compilation), 'Justice Hall' by Laurie R. King (fun Sherlock & apprentice pastiche series with which my moniker comes from).  Oh yeah... and thanks to mentioning that series in past, it was highly suggested to me to also try a certain sherlockian-style Lord Peter Wimsey, which I really hope to within the next... um... year?  ;P  ;)  Not to mention I went back and realized I only ever got so far in the original canon, and would be kinda cool to catch up on them when Series 3 gets close to plunge back into the feel of that world, so 'His Last Bow' is the next collection up.   Funny enough....  I learned a new word today:
Tsundoku - (n.) buying books and not reading them; letting books pile up unread on shelves or floors or nightstands.  Very clever pun, with apparently 'tsundeoku' meaning 'things in a pile' and 'doku' is 'to read'.  (I DID NOT KNOW THERE WAS A LABEL FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME!!!)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 22, 2013 4:45 am  #15

I do the same Russell, I have a ton of books I own but haven't read yet, although I'm working my way through them slowly. Doesn't stop me adding to my collection though.

I also tend to get a bit addicted to stuff. If I love something I'm very full on, read all the books, watch all the show. I've been known to watch an entire series of a show in a few days. I'm sure I'm not alone.

================================================================

May 22, 2013 1:59 pm  #16

Michele wrote:

I do the same Russell, I have a ton of books I own but haven't read yet, although I'm working my way through them slowly. Doesn't stop me adding to my collection though.

I also tend to get a bit addicted to stuff. If I love something I'm very full on, read all the books, watch all the show. I've been known to watch an entire series of a show in a few days. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I'm very much the same! On both accounts!  Especially that last bit...hehe 

-------------------------------------------------------

May 22, 2013 2:07 pm  #17

Lily wrote:

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Still struggling my way through this book...
Honestly, I don't have the faintest idea why this man is considered as one of the best writers of our time.
The writing style of this book is annoying as hell, the characters are either shallow and passive or neurotic and arrogant to such a degree that I would like to punch every single one of them in the face.
I don't get the appeal at all.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

May 22, 2013 2:47 pm  #18

I must admit that -even though I'm a German teacher- I feel the same about some of the so-called best writers of their time. I can value them for their impact on literature, but honestly, I hope I never have to read a single sentence Goethe wrote again in my life.

(You can give me works by Schiller or Kafka any time, gladly, but Goethe? No thanks!)

May 24, 2013 6:04 am  #19

I used to do that, buy books and then never read them... but then I was bought a kindle a few years ago and oddly enough I've not done that since. And then I got given an iPhone and asjkfad... I haven't bought a paperback since (aside from some music theory ones that I could not get otherwise.)

Currently making my way through The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. Because gasp/shock/horror I actually have free time for the first time in a while. These past weeks my 'free' time has been cluttered with scripts. But now it's our 'half term' (we're all adults but we just like behaving like children) so I have time to sit at home at... y'know... read.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

May 24, 2013 1:30 pm  #20

I just read "The Science of Sherlock Holmes" in german: Die Wissenschaft bei Sherlock Holmes und die Anfänge der Gerichtsmedizin by E.J. Wagner.
It is for me some fun because of the connection to Sherlock and some work related reading because of things I do professionally.

You can learn a lot but it is also enjoyable to read.

Board footera