BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2012 6:25 pm  #21

Re: How will Sherlock clear his name?

sherlocked wrote:

(IF the Irene situation should be mirrored, I wouldn't say 'same old trick'; I would think it a clever symmetry)

Ah, you see that is not what Symmetry is all about.
All that is is copying, repeating the same idea. Which is something I am certain Moftiss will not do.
The Irene Adler 'being dead but not dead' was flawed in itself. It wasn't particularly brilliant.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 13, 2012 2:46 am  #22

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

And I really do think Sherlock will have to do SOMETHING. Even if three years have past, he can't just come back and just stroll into the police station, start working with Lestrade and taking on cases again like nothing ever happened.

But remember he doesn't have to be working on a police case. There's quite a few cases that have nothing to do with the police, some even where it's good that he'd be in hiding & undetected by police (eg Abbey Grange).
Mycroft also would have cases for him to work on. Eventually he would 'resurface' into public life, but surely not on such a grand scale.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 13, 2012 9:46 am  #23

Yeah that's true, as he said "I'm a private detective, the last thing I need is a public image." But didn't all his publicity come from John's blog? So how will they get round that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 13, 2012 12:31 pm  #24

Well, Sherlock said, that he doesn't need a public image, but that doesn't mean, it's strictly true. If he wants to have customers, it won't do to be considered a fraud. And some PR can't hurt either, as    John's blog demonstrated.

March 13, 2012 1:04 pm  #25

Caught between a cleft stick/ between two stools isn't he!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 8, 2012 8:59 am  #26

I was reading A Study in Scarlet when I thought of the idea of newspaper articles. Just small ones, but quite a few of them. Just about deductions and that sort of thing. Therefore, when Sherlock turns out to be alive, everybody will believe that it is possible to deduct.

Sometimes my head hurts with fandom input. Now allow me to deduce you by offering a jelly baby.

May 20, 2012 5:01 pm  #27

I don't think that he will need to clear his name. It will clear itself when the police starts investigating in the kidnapper case/Moriarty case and will find out that Richard Brook was in fact the fraud.
Well, at least I thought that was Moriarty's plan all along - he doesn't need to build a investigation-proof construct of lies, he just needs to make people believe Sherlock is a fake until he jumps. And when after that they slowly realize that Sherlock Holmes was never anything other than honest, the true horror and guilt will come upon them. Or, at least upon Lestrade and his team, I guess.
And wouldn't that just crown it all?

May 20, 2012 6:42 pm  #28

He does however need to convince Moriarty's clients that there is no key code hidden at 221B otherwise John and Mrs H could still conceivably be in danger. I wondered if that was part of what was going on on the roof culminating in "There is no code DOOFUS". Not sure how a verifyable recording could be made or distributed to potential assassins, but hey like Moriarty and Sherlock I'm enjoying the game too!

May 20, 2012 7:18 pm  #29

Well, first of all they also think Sherlock is dead. Do you really think they would be looking for the key code at 221b? I don't really think they would make that... connection. Do you?

The question is - although it's not really the topic of the thread, anyway - what Sherlock else needs to do before he can "come back life". In the canon he needed to bring down Moriarty's network... In the series the snipers had to see him jump and then left. After that his friends were out of danger, because even if the snipers notice that Sherlock is still alive they have no reason to do anything anymore because Moriarty is not there to tell them so. (is that understandable?)
But I guess once "dead" he will use the oppurtunity to put some things right. Bring down Moriarty's whole network? I don't know. Will he be able to do that?
Also I think that today it's not as easy to "play dead" as it was for victorian Sherlock... ;)

May 20, 2012 8:24 pm  #30

I was talking about the assassins (hired by Moriarty's clients - think back to the conversation between Mycroft and John at the Diogenes Club) who thanks to Moriarty believed that the key code was hidden at 221B, rather than snipers (which were Moriarty's own men '...3 bullets...John, Mrs H and Lestrade'). I was pointing out that clearing his name was only part of what he needs to do before he can return. His friends would not be safe until the assassins were convinced that the key code did not exist.

While only partly to do with the thread here, I felt that it was relevant enough to mention.

May 20, 2012 8:30 pm  #31

Oh, right, I forgot about that!

Hm, this is going to be complicated. But he's Sherlock, he's already figured a way out ;)

May 20, 2012 8:57 pm  #32

If not, I'm sure Moffatt and Gatiss will have something up their sleeves to help him 

May 21, 2012 4:17 pm  #33

Stick these posters up on trees!!

http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.11332334.2480/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 8, 2012 6:56 pm  #34

I predict that Sherlock won't clear his name for awhile. He will work underground for most if not all of Season 3. He wants and needs to get out of the limelight to be effective in cleaning up remnants of Moriarty's network as well as working undercover for Mycroft. Having to hideout as a fugitive while still solving crimes adds to the story. Once he and Watson make up I can even see Watson acting as the new front man and getting credit as Sherlock feeds him solutions from behind the scenes. This will make all of Scotland Yard and Kitty's tabloid pals furious because they will know Sherlock is not dead but won't be able to prove it.

Disguise is always a self portrait

July 12, 2012 4:41 pm  #35

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I was trying to think up some cool ideas for our roleplay game today when it occured to me that no one has yet tackled the question of how Sherlock will go about clearing his name upon his return.

We all know that Sherlock will be coming back and returning to what he does best - solving crimes. But when he left his reputation was in tatters and the majority of people believed that he set up and organised all the crimes himself just so he could then show off by "solving them". So how is he going to prove to people that he's not a fraud or a fake?

In the books he stayed away for three years I think but he used that time tracking down and destroying Moriarty's gang in Europe. We have a slightly different issue here because his reputation wasn't damaged at the time of his "death"...whereas in this case it is, and that's going to have to be dealt with in some way.

Any ideas about how they might tackle it?

Very interesting question.
Sherlock after solving the Reichenbachfall case ( I mean the stolen painting ) he  IS a person who is in the public eye. So he clearly has to come to terms with the public and the media after his "resurrection".
I think they ( Sherlock/ Mycroft/ maybe Lestrade)  will tell the newspapers/ TV reporters the truth in a way - that he was three years in a witness-protection program or that he was working as a undercover agent for Scotland Yard to find and hunt down the other members of Moriarty`s spider web ( esp. second-in-command S. Moran). In both cases it could have been absolutely necessary to fake his own death to both his friends and the public - to give Moriarty´s men the certainty that he is really dead. And yet he is a public hero again .

As for Scotland Yard, Sherlock will collect proofs of his innocence enough to convince them.

Last edited by saysomething (July 12, 2012 4:41 pm)

September 6, 2012 11:13 am  #36

He has to convince his strongest doubters first before it will treacle down to the public. So maybe a case will threaten Donovan (which Sherlock has to get her out of) & Kitty will be the one to report it. I don't think Anderson should be involved because it's too much fun watching him and Sherlock not get along - Anderson should remain his one biggest skeptic. Then John & Molly (maybe Mrs Hudson) can testify how their lives were torn apart by Mr Holmes's apparent suicide (torn apart by just how boring life was in the interim without Sherlock).

Last edited by saturnR (September 6, 2012 11:13 am)

September 12, 2012 9:59 am  #37

saturnR wrote:

John & Molly (maybe Mrs Hudson) can testify how their lives were torn apart by Mr Holmes's apparent suicide (torn apart by just how boring life was in the interim without Sherlock).

Series 3 will open up with John sat in the armchair shooting the wall and shouting "Bored!"

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 3, 2012 9:55 pm  #38

kazza474 wrote:

Ah yes, I knew someone would say that. Do you do so deliberately? No, but if you had stored some supposed recording/data that would basically save your life......... would you risk damaging it in any possible way? Of course not.

Look honestly, when I say fanciful, I mean it's 'too much'/too complicated and yet it's way too ordinary. None of which is Moftiss's style at all.
The simplest things are the best, and they only make the best. We'll have a lot of Red Herrings leftover when S3 comes out.

Sherlock will come back and be 'in the shadows' for a while. And that is where he will be able to work best from. No-one taking his picture, no-one asking for interviews. Probably no-one even recognising him, he's a dead washed up has-been.

Thank god for the iCloud service... I'd like to think that's how John eventually recovers Sherlock's 'note'; not from the phone itself but from a backup service via his own laptop. That way it wouldn't matter who had possession of the phone (police, Molly, Mycroft etc.) But rather who had the login details for the phone's account.

S3Ep1: John's spends most of it trying to hack Sherlock's iPhone... not a very promising sleuthing career but I guess, for him, it's a start... although knowing Sherlock he'd probably leave a trail of clues as a sort of 'Idiots Guide To Working Out I'm Not Actually Dead.' 

As for Sherlock clearing his name... I hope they don't do it all right away. I like your idea of him laying low because it helps his career and he doesn't care anything for fame (or being handed tie pins, cufflinks or 'death Frisbees.')

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

July 3, 2013 10:45 pm  #39

I've seen behind the scenes filming of Series 3 on youtube...I won't spoil it but I think it's going to be okay for him eventually

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 6, 2013 4:15 am  #40

The people that matter already know he is innocent .
The Judge ordered the jury to find Moriarty guilty.

The police have to find Something to charge Sherlock with , and it's likely an inquiry took  place into his involvement with NSY and they discovered how effective and cheap he actually is ,so no worries there.  Theres also the problem of his wrongfull arrest , no warrant ,  no charges , not read his rights and them thinking all  this led to the suicide of an innocent and very helpfull man.......likely the DCI John punched got fired isn't it ? tut tut they were naughty wern't they?

Not to mention Mycrofts wrath / influence.

So if you mean in the media ? Then the Q is Why would he bother ? He doesn't care and as a private detective he doesn't need/ want a public profile ........ oh didn't he say that ?

As for Kitty , well he would have no problems making her write a retraction and an apolgy , if he wanted , after all everything the paper printed was libelous lies .
A potentially very expensive mistake......

As for the people talking about evidence against Moriarty , he is dead , there will be no trial , so whats the point of it ?.

It is not innocence that needs to be prooved , it is guilt . 

Last edited by lil (July 6, 2013 6:10 am)

Board footera