BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2013 7:52 am  #1

Broadchurch

Has anyone seen this show with David Tennant? It is a pretty good drama/Crime show.

April 9, 2013 9:49 am  #2

Re: Broadchurch

Yes! 
Seriously, I really want to know who did it. I don't have the impression that the police are doing a good job. Are they doing anything at all?

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

April 19, 2013 1:16 am  #3

Lily wrote:

Yes! 
Seriously, I really want to know who did it. I don't have the impression that the police are doing a good job. Are they doing anything at all?

Same, I really love the show. The police really doing anything. Then when DI Hardy fell on episode 6 and that was the episode I was like, you can't do that. I got my whole family hooked on it.

I still have a funny feeling that Susan Wright is still involved and Nige scares me.

April 19, 2013 2:34 pm  #4

The last two episodes have really been brilliant. I am afraid that the outcome will be really painful and terrible. Many people think that Joe Miller is the killer and that would break Ellie's heart - and if Hardy dies it will break my heart... After the last episode I am really not sure if he will make it. I am still not sure if I really like Hardy but David Tennant's acting in the last episode was oustanding, you really get the impression of watching a man who is dying.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

April 20, 2013 8:35 am  #5

Lily wrote:

The last two episodes have really been brilliant. I am afraid that the outcome will be really painful and terrible. Many people think that Joe Miller is the killer and that would break Ellie's heart - and if Hardy dies it will break my heart... After the last episode I am really not sure if he will make it. I am still not sure if I really like Hardy but David Tennant's acting in the last episode was oustanding, you really get the impression of watching a man who is dying.

I agree. I think Tom has something to do with what happened. If Hardy dies I will just be shattered. David Tennant is an amazing actor, or maybe I'm just biased ;)

I can't wait to find out who did it but I'm sad because there won't be another series.

June 15, 2016 12:35 am  #6

So, I finally got to watch Broadchurch. That is, first series. That's why I'm posting here, because I don't dare post in the spoiler thread where probably all the interesting conversation is taking place...

I'm actually not sure if I liked it or not. The atmosphere totally blew me away. Great. And there's so much tension, so many interesting characters, I really enjoyed it. And David Tennant, yes!
The story itself... not so sure about it. I didn't find it very logical. It's load of build-up, and no conclusions for it. The reveal was... dunno. I knew it too early to keep the tension up, and found it not a convincing end. And yet, it's not like I didn't enjoy watching.

I cannot quite grasp the praise I've read everywhere. What exactly is it what you like about it so much? And are there people out there at all who thought it was good but that's it?
It's an honest question - I'm curious. Because I had my expectations, and so far, I don't think they were met. Or, let's rather say, it was totally different than I expected, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Actually, I think that is my point, I'm not sure I should buy series 2.
Should I? I'm not sure. Is it better? Different? Any opinions (without spoilers)?
And is it a new storyline, or continuous?

Last edited by Whisky (June 15, 2016 12:38 am)

"It is what it is."

June 15, 2016 5:50 am  #7

S2 is different, but not better. It continues pretty much where S1 ended and at the same time something new is introduced (something that has to do with Alec's past).
As for whether or not you should buy S2... I'm afraid I can't answer that. For me there never was any doubt after S1 that I needed to continue watching the show. I love the show, I love the atmosphere, the characters, the writing. I'll admit that the explanation given at the end is not as convincing as what we're shown in the American version of the show called "Gracepoint". But nevertheless I'm buying it - and for me it's actually far more important how the characters are dealing with this, what it means for Ellie and her family and (former) friends. To me "Broadchurch" is less of a crime show and more of a social study.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 15, 2016 8:45 am  #8

Thank you!

SolarSystem wrote:

To me "Broadchurch" is less of a crime show and more of a social study.

I think I will continue watching with that in mind. Maybe that was my problem... trying to figure out the message. I find it hard to find one. Except we never know anybody for real.

I agree on everything you highlighted - except maybe the writing?
What makes it very good writing in your opinion? Guess I just don't see it so clearly... I feel it's all puzzle pieces and not every piece is put in place in the end.
I also don't like how the show jumps from scene to scene. The sudden breaks make part of the atmosphere, I get that, but also they throw me out of the "story mood" at the same time. But that's me personal and might be down to taste.
Also I find some characters backgrounds and motivations a bit flat. But this might be due to limited screentime, there are so many characters that maybe there isn't enoguh time to explore them more. But I missed it a bit... Some characters I couldn't quite grasp.

The ending... yes, I thought it wasn't well set up. I got my suspicions early because I felt if it was that kind of story, it could only end in a certain way. And I got it right, but wasn't happy with it. But, of course, if I don't focus on the crime aspect so much, this becomes less of an issue. I just thought, in terms of an exciting crime storyline, there are better ones.

Last edited by Whisky (June 15, 2016 8:54 am)

"It is what it is."

June 15, 2016 9:41 am  #9

So which characters didn't you quite grasp? And the backgrounds and motivations of which characters did you find flat?
Of course there are characters in the show with which I don't relate very much, either. Maybe that indeed is due to the nature of such a big cast. That being said, I find the 'main characters' all being well-rounded and with enough background in S1. There is more background coming for some characters in S2. Maybe one should keep in mind that the show has been created for three seasons from the very beginning. So maybe some things will only come to their full conclusion in S3.
What I like about the wiriting mainly has to do with the two leads. I already mentioned this in the spoiler thread at some point. I think Chibnall did create an almost iconic couple with Alec and Ellie, every scene with the two of them is a true highlight for me. It's especially fascinating to see certain changes in their characters and their relationship in S2, and I can't wait to see what will happen with/to them in S3.   

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera