BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2013 6:49 am  #41

Re: Any Star Trek fans?

AliceI wrote:

Sampy Arctica wrote:

...you mean resent?

Nope. I meant resemble. It is a play on words. Means the remark describes me well.

Well, whaddaya know, we don't have that statement in Australia, haha. Or at least, I've never heard it used before. Sounds strange. Ah, you learn something new every day.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

April 3, 2013 3:56 pm  #42

Huhh....  that's interesting, the difference in navigation of phrases.  I know some catch on more wide-spread than others do, but I'm in US and have known that phrase for a long time...  I guess I thought Britain and Australia shared more language commonalities than we do with!  ;D

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 4, 2013 2:52 am  #43

Oh, even in Australia, there are differences in speech and what things are called, etc. So while I may not have ever heard that saying before, somebody else may have.

For example - in Melbourne (Victoria), local, privately owned convenience stores are called 'milk bars', while everyone I know in Queensland (my state) calls them 'corner shops' and (generally) have no idea what a 'milk bar' is. I only know because I have friends who have visited from Melbourne and vice versa.

But I digress. Yay, Star Trek. Hahaha.

Last edited by Sampy Arctica (April 4, 2013 2:54 am)

There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

April 4, 2013 5:12 am  #44

We use the term 'corner shop' too here in the UK.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 4, 2013 7:34 am  #45

Or at least we shouild do,. Not the alternate, racist tem I still occasionally hear.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 4, 2013 8:28 am  #46

^ Racist term...?

Davina wrote:

We use the term 'corner shop' too here in the UK.

A-ha! Melbournites are the weird ones! Hahaha!
Just kidding, guys. If there are any Melbournites here...
(Used to have friendly arguments with my Melbourne friends with them calling us weird for not using the term 'milk bars' and vice versa, but for using it.)

October 17, 2017 5:43 pm  #47

So is it possible that nobody here is watching Star Trek Discovery...?

I'm really not a huge fan of the Klingons, so the initial idea of the show is somewhat difficult for me. BUT I have to say... what a great concept! The serial story-telling works brilliantly. I already loved it in the past when they did something similar in DS9 and Star Trek: Enterprise, and I think it's been the right decision to do this with Discovery from the very start.
I love how the audience gets to know the main crew step by step... and what a brave idea to get rid of characters who could have very well been part of the show for a long time during the first couple of episodes. 
And all those beautiful references to the original show... 
And yes, what a wonderful gay couple... I need more of this...!! 

I can't wait to see where all of this is going. It's a shame that Bryan Fuller is no longer connected to the show, because it seems that a lot of what we've seen so far has been based on his concept for the show. 

Next monday can't come too soon. 

Last edited by SolarSystem (October 17, 2017 5:46 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 17, 2017 5:45 pm  #48

Unfortunately I'm not!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 17, 2017 8:42 pm  #49

Loooove ST! The original series, THE BEST. Was a trekkie before it was cool. Have got almost 200 ST novels too. But I am also a fan of "The next generation". 

Do not care much for the more recent movies though...

"Corner store", "milk bar" (cute!). I live in Quebec Canada. Out here, in french, that's "dépanneur" and our english community (mostly in Montreal) has adopted the word also. I don't know about the rest of Canada.

Last edited by Oscar1965 (October 17, 2017 8:42 pm)

October 18, 2017 7:09 am  #50

Watched all broadcasted episodes of Discovery now too. And I really got into the show. I think I like it more than the last one, Enterprise. The story of Dicovery caught me right from the beginning, that's the difference to Enterprise. And unlike Solar I'm absolutely fine with that Klingons storyline.

Ah... and yes the gay couple... absolutely sweet.
Wonder, what will happen after the latest developement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

Board footera