BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2013 6:54 pm  #21

Re: Least favorite story from the canon

ooh i like the veiled lodger-it happens to be both the first one I, and purely through coincidence, my nine year old son read. so its a bit sentimental for me as it was my gateway holmes ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 1, 2013 10:39 am  #22

This sounds a bit weird but "A Study in Scarlet" was my worst read (I've only read two of the four novels but have seen most of the short stories). It was brilliantly written but I found that I couldn't care for the case much (I couldn't relate to it) & also it's very slow paced compared to short stories.

April 1, 2013 1:28 pm  #23

oh yes saturn am with you there. I think the short stories are much better actually. ACDs gift was his sparseness of prose in some ways, with too much space he seems to witter on a bit too much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 3, 2013 1:03 pm  #24

I still have some unread, but somehow I couldn´t get The Scandal in Bohemia. Beside the nonsense about the Czech king, it was quite not interesting for me. Disguised Holmes as a wedding wittness? Satisfied with unfinished work? Calling Adler-Norton The Woman just because she left the country in time? no crime, no mystery. doesn´t work on me. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

Board footera