BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2012 6:52 am  #1

The House of Silk- Anthony Horowitz

I am a great fan of Anthony Horowitz, especially his Alex Rider spy books. Having read reviews of this book which are universally positive and reading that Hepzibah thought it was good too I think I shall have to buy it! This book was officially sanctioned by the Conan Doyle estate. Has anyone else read it?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15553421

www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/the-house-of-silk-by-anthony-horowitz-6262618.html

Last edited by Davina (August 14, 2012 6:53 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 14, 2012 7:04 am  #2

Re: The House of Silk- Anthony Horowitz

Yes, I have, and I liked it very much. He remains very true to the canon and the story was really good. I'd recommend it any time as I would Lyndsey Faye's "Dust and Shadow".

Last edited by SusiGo (August 14, 2012 7:30 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 14, 2012 10:54 am  #3

Sounds interesting. The House of Silk sounds rather sexy. Is there a touch of adult whimsy in this or is my mind wandering again?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

August 14, 2012 11:31 am  #4

Well I've just ordered it from Amazon so I will soon be able to tell all.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 27, 2012 12:14 pm  #5

I have literally just finished reading this book. I can thoroughly recommend it. Excellently written, great plot and characterisation. Clever denouement if disturbing content at times.

August 27, 2012 1:20 pm  #6

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 27, 2012 2:46 pm  #7

If you like reading the canon stories I am fairly sure you will enjoy reading this. It has great 'pace'.

March 29, 2013 4:23 pm  #8

I loved THOS, thought Holmes and Watson were pretty much in character, even with the very non-Victorian reveal at the end. Great pacing and even solves the mystery of Mary Watson's death. I loved how AH used both new and minor characters from the canon in such a way to see logical. Really wish AH would write more Holmes fiction but I believe he said this was a one-time book.

More is the pity.

April 10, 2013 4:41 pm  #9

Really liked this too

My only very slight-well not complaint really, just something for people to perhaps be aware of-is that the denoument does make it, I'd say, categorically unsuitable for younger readers. My Sherlock Holmes obsessed nine year old is desperate to read it but I've said no. (he's also only seen a few of the Sherlock episodes).

I really wish he'd write another book or two. I think this is about the best homage I've seen. I also really liked his Moriaty also.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 10, 2013 11:23 pm  #10

Yes it is definitely only suitable for young adults and above I would say. He is a wonderful writer. Perhaps your 9 year old might like his stories about the young spy Alex Rider. I have read them, my son read them when he as younger and they are really, really good.

April 15, 2013 3:04 pm  #11

The House of Silk is avaliable in german titled: Das Geheimnis des weißen Bandes.

April 22, 2013 8:55 am  #12

apparently he has said he has plans for a sequel! Yay!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"

April 22, 2013 10:21 am  #13

Oooooo! Excited muchly!

April 22, 2013 10:28 am  #14

That would be amazing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 22, 2013 2:16 pm  #15

ok let me find the link

http://www.welovethisbook.com/news/anthony-horowitz-oblivion

it sounded VERY tentative...but I so hope he does write one. I have read a lot of sherlock holmes modern fiction and no one else comes close to him. 

April 22, 2013 5:11 pm  #16

I hope he does write another one.  I did so LOVE the last paragraph of HoS.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 10, 2013 7:30 pm  #17

I absolutely love it! But, there is one thing I don't undersand, how does it solve the mystery of Mary's death?

"I'm not a phycopath, Anderson, I'm a high- funcioning sociopath, do your research."

November 11, 2013 2:31 am  #18

I guess the only 'mystery' surrounding Mary's death is that Sir Arthur really never wrote how she died. In canon it's just mentioned that she has died so I guess people have always wondered about it.  It's been a while since I read HoS but I believe the Watson in this story writes that she will eventually succumb to influenza - or maybe it was pneumonia (both common afflictions of the times).

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 12, 2013 2:12 pm  #19

There is just speculation about Mary's death if I remember correctly. In ACD canon people interpret the word "bereavement" in The Empty House. Holmes tells Watson that it can be helpful to distract himself from his bereavement while working on the case.

February 11, 2016 4:56 pm  #20

Didn't realise I hadn't contributed to this either: this is an excellent book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera