BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 3, 2013 9:45 am  #1

Gottle o' Geer and the van Buren Supernova

1.  Was that a slight Doctor Who crossover with the "gottle o' geer" reference? 

That Sherlock episode was broadcast in 2010, but there was a DW episode that mentioned the same phrase in 2011, under the same premise (a ventriloquist using a dummy and having it say "gottle o' geer" instead of "bottle of beer"; here, obviously Moriarty is the ventriloquist, John is the dummy).

2.  The van Buren supernova.

John said that Sherlock's wee bit knowledge of the "solar system" helped him solve a case, since he learned/knew about the van Buren supernova, which led to the inference that the painting was a fake.

However, the van Buren supernova is techinicaly not in our solar system -- otherwise we'd be all be pretty sunburnt. 

Cheers!

Last edited by BlinkULDHC (March 3, 2013 9:46 am)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Which one of the following statements does not belong with the rest?  Deduce away!

Luke, I am your father. -  Do you feel lucky, punk? -  Elementary, my dear Watson. - I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto. - Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

March 4, 2013 3:45 am  #2

Re: Gottle o' Geer and the van Buren Supernova

I didn't really understand the Gottle o' Geer thing other than it sounds funny! I guess it could be a reference to Doctor Who (or vice versa). Where does it originate from? Could it be that the writers are references something else entirely but they just used both shows to do it. Inside joke style?

The van Buren supernova is in A solar system so I guess the comment was correct. Although it is a slightly obsure piece of information to know.

================================================================

March 4, 2013 11:10 am  #3

I think this phrase has nothing to do with Doctor Who itself, it is just a way make to fun of ventriloquists who are not very good at what they're doing - saying b without visibly moving your lips is really difficult.
I've read somewhere that there was a sketch on tv many years ago and that this phrase originates from there.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

March 4, 2013 11:26 am  #4

I don't think the phrase comes from a particular tv sketch rather the phrase is a difficult one for less proficient ventriloquists. It just emphasises that John is the equivalent of a dummy on this occasion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 4, 2013 12:32 pm  #5

Davina wrote:

I don't think the phrase comes from a particular tv sketch rather the phrase is a difficult one for less proficient ventriloquists. It just emphasises that John is the equivalent of a dummy on this occasion.

Jipp, I think so as well. John is the dummy of Moriarty that time (symbolized by this seemingly well-known difficult phrase for ventriloquists) - he is opening his mouth but the origin of his words is somewhere else.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (March 4, 2013 12:34 pm)

November 11, 2014 11:07 pm  #6

No one ever answered your question, Blink - It's "Frankly, my dear..." All the others are misquotes.

1. Both Sherlock & Doctor Who are making the same reference to something else that he has nothing to do with either show. "Gottle O'Geer" is how vantriloquist sound when they try to say "Bottle of Beer."

2. He believes the sun goes around the earth, so believing a supernova occurred within the solar system is not notable. Incidently, there was no supernova visible in 1858.

Board footera