BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2013 9:00 am  #1

Re-casting

How come some ppl didn't make the cut (from pilot to study in pink)? Is it coz they were like "we want a payrise" or "but it clashes with a play I'm doing" or was the refilming so unexpected that the producers were like "hey, that guy was nice - I can't remember where we got him from; hey casting manager, where did we get this guy?" & casting manager goes "to be really honest, I can't remember - that was like two years ago; I think he moved to America - yeah, he did move to America."?

(aside: Benedict's reaction: "shame, I really liked that guy"; Martin's reaction: "who cares, I'm moving too, to New Zealand"; Moftiss: "Hey, don't you dare go wondering off on us"; Benedict: "I'm going away too."; casting manager: "I'm not recasting the leads - I want a payrise if you make me recast the leads")

Last edited by saturnR (February 27, 2013 9:02 am)

February 27, 2013 10:06 am  #2

Re: Re-casting

Refilling would not have been totally unexpected as the first was a pilot. Those most likely reason for re-casting is that original actors had prior contractual commitments which they had to fulfill. Likewise a different person was in charge of costume and wardrobe between the two episodes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 27, 2013 12:05 pm  #3

Davina wrote:

Refilling would not have been totally unexpected as the first was a pilot. Those most likely reason for re-casting is that original actors had prior contractual commitments which they had to fulfill. Likewise a different person was in charge of costume and wardrobe between the two episodes.

Yes, definetly. And it´s also a question of technology and money. I mean, also the director e.g. has changed. They got far more money for ASiP, could afford for a much better technology (one of the reasons that they have shot everything again because the different cameras e.g. didn´t match). So this could also have an effect on the stuff - not everybody can work with everything and - in the case of Paul McGuigan I can imagine that probably the change was not only due to commitments but also to quality (= price). Or does somebody know precisely why Corky Something didn´t direct ASiP later?

Last edited by anjaH_alias (February 27, 2013 12:06 pm)

February 27, 2013 7:33 pm  #4

Camera work in ASiP was SO much better than in pilot: I re-watched recently a couple of most similiar scenes in both films  in order to compare the dynamics of shooting and the difference is really impressive (just watch first Sherlock - John meeting at St. Bart). Also, I rather prefer new Sally Donavan, the first one looked far too nice for the character she had to play.

Board footera