BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 20, 2012 7:52 pm  #1

Bertie Carvel-Sebatian Wilkes

I'm not sure how much of an impression he made, he played Sebastian Wilkes in The Blind Banker.

ANYWAY. He is completely and utterly amazing as Miss Trunchbull in Matilda The Musical.

If you're in London then you really need to go and see it, it's the most moving and inspiring and brilliant thing I have ever seen. Musically, it's been written my Tim Minchin (who is my other 'obbsession') and it's just so good I can't even explain it.

I would share a couple of songs but they've been taken down from YouTube.

May 20, 2012 8:03 pm  #2

Re: Bertie Carvel-Sebatian Wilkes

Tim Minchin is, in my humble opinion, a genius!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 20, 2012 8:16 pm  #3

Roald Dahl and Tim Minchin?!

Had I known I'd have grabbed a viewing before leaving the UK. Here's the trailer:

Dahl crated another of my favourite characters in 'My Uncle Oswald' (A full story based on a character from his 'Switch Bitch' short stories). - he's a writer for adults as much as he was for children.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 20, 2012 8:40 pm  #4

The story of Matilda works well with children (and adults) of all ages. Miss Trunchbull is such a grotesque.

I particularly loved reading aloud The Fantastic Mr. Fox, The B.F.G., James and the Giant Peach and The Witches. So many of the adults in these stories are, frankly, vile. Just like all good fairy tales, they all need a good villain.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 20, 2012 9:14 pm  #5

I've seen it 4 times (not enough!) and everytime I've walked out of the theatre I've heard people say how brilliant it was and how much they enjoyed it, and how clever Tim Minchin is.

Tim Minchin is a genius, and a really lovely person.

May 31, 2012 1:53 pm  #6

Bertie Carvel will be appearing at The National Theatre in London in a play entitled 'Damned by Despair'. This will be running from October 2012 and will be in the Olivier Theatre.

June 4, 2012 5:30 pm  #7

Tempting!

February 1, 2013 11:52 am  #8

Bertie is to reprise his role as Miss Trunchbull in Matilda on Broadway! The show starts on March 14th 2013. What a talented chap.

Board footera