BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2013 9:37 pm  #1

The Seven-Per-Cent Solution

The 1976 movie adaptation of the book will be available on DVD/Blu-ray from Shout! Factory on January 22, 2013:

http://www.shoutfactory.com/?q=node/216614

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 24, 2013 10:58 am  #2

Re: The Seven-Per-Cent Solution

Has anyone seen it? What's it like?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 24, 2013 11:49 am  #3

I have seen it. It's not bad, the atmosphere is quite well created but I didn't like Nicol Williamson as Holmes. Maybe he's just not my type but he seemed a bit too soft for Holmes. And they changed the end compared to the novel to sneak in a bit of romance. It's quite entertaining but in my opinion the novel's better. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 25, 2013 5:07 am  #4

Excuse, that I can not participate now in discussion - it is very occupied. But I will be released - I will necessarily write that I think on this question.

January 26, 2013 5:44 am  #5

Coincidentally, today there is a review in The New York Times of the movie.  The article briefly discusses some other versions of Holmes, including BC's.  It's an interesting article. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/26/movies/how-the-seven-per-cent-solution-reinvented-sherlock-holmes.html?ref=todayspaper

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (January 26, 2013 5:48 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

February 3, 2013 5:21 am  #6

Thanks Sherli for forwarding this interesting link!

Fascinating spin on how this version is purported to be the model for the
modern 'troubled' Sherlocks.   And that the humor depicted can be Sherlock's,
not just Watson's =  'marvelously comic but rooted in real pain' -

Anyway,  I had fun rewatching "The 7 Percent Solution" for just
some great whimsical performances - Lawrence Olivier as Moriarty? ha.

February 4, 2013 11:48 pm  #7

I always found it a very fun movie!

October 14, 2018 2:32 pm  #8

I watched this film for the first time last night while my parents were out seeing a play version of The Hound of the Baskervilles (I wanted to go too, but this was a quasi-business affair since they're my parents friends but my dad also does some business with the husband - but that's another matter!). I quite enjoyed it. Since it was a version of Sherlock Holmes set in the 19th century, I wasn't expecting such interesting visuals and camera work. It got expressionistic during the withdrawal sequence, which I thought was done well. I also really enjoyed the train chase, it was fun to watch. I'm almost surprised we have not seen a version of the murderous horses in Sherlock but I did see that Toby the dog made an appearance!
I thought the implied romance at the end felt a little forced and unnecessary, and I don't really agree with all of Freud's analysis of Sherlock and his past, but I still overall enjoyed the film. I would watch it again one day.

Last edited by Yitzock (October 14, 2018 2:34 pm)

Clueing for looks.

Board footera