BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2013 5:08 pm  #41

Re: What does your username/signature/avatar say about you?

Mnemosyne wrote:

Refusing to watch a show because they think an actor is in unattractive is ridiculous.

I agree on principal, but sometimes if you don't like the way they look, it can make it harder to appreciate their acting, like Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen. Funniest movie I ever saw Seth Rogen in was Paul, where he did the voice of the alien Paul, but wasn't actually in the movie. It works the other way too, you can be beautiful and not have a lick of talent and all the beauty in the world won't make you watchable. This is not always the case, but I can see how it might happen. I mean, I don't like Rachel McAdams, she ruins every movie she's in for me, so sometimes I watch them and sometimes I don't. 

Last edited by harleyq (January 5, 2013 5:08 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 5, 2013 6:00 pm  #42

Mattlocked wrote:

And I also had problems for hours when watching The Lord of the Rings again, because I just don't like Elijah Wood and his same-all-the-time tortured facial expression.
No reason not to watch TLOTR though   

Yeah, I think the only reason they casted Elijah Wood was for his facial expressions and eyes. I was actually watching the first one last night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

January 5, 2013 7:00 pm  #43

I never have a problem watching a film or tv show because of an actor's physical appearance but I do dislike some actors as I find their work repetitive/one-dimensional/poor etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 5, 2013 8:49 pm  #44

Intruguing topic, thanks Mnemosyne.
My username is very easy to guess. But the dog wasn´t mine. Some years ago, I took care of a wolfhound. Because he stays in my heart, (been dead for two years now), I decided to bring it up as a username, partly because of the "hound" part of the word as well. I just thought it would be nice to put together a memory with a Sherlock related notion.
My avatar is one of my favourite places in the mountains where I like to hike.
My signature is a quotation of my favourite author, Michel Houellebecq.

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

January 5, 2013 11:42 pm  #45

Actually guys, after seeing your examples of actors you just can't watch... I see your point.

Wolfhound It's so touching to see usernames that are dedicated to other people/places/things. It shows a deep personal connection. Do you work with animals a lot? Or was this a 'one-off'? Plus I like the H.O.U.N.D reference, very nice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 6, 2013 3:54 pm  #46

SusiGo wrote:

I spontaneously chose an abbreviation of my own name.

Username explained.

Avatar: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! Do I have to say more?

Signature: oh, hard to choose one, isn't it? Sometimes I change it.
I like colorful stuff. And green and yellow represent Brazil.
"All was well" is the last quote from the entire Harry Potter legend, it means a lot to me.
"Why is it always the hat photograph?" Everybody has always connected Sherlock Holmes to the deerstalker, I enjoy the way they deal with it on the show.
Image: poor violin! Must think: if you can play me why are you scratching me?
The quote you don't understand is from a song I really love, translated "And the lover heart is lacking a piece, as the waning moon, as my arms in yours." It's to remember I still can't put everything I'd like to on English words.
Now that I've explained it, perhaps I won't change it anymore

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

January 6, 2013 5:08 pm  #47

horserider99 wrote:

My best friend and her little sister think he's ugly. I have to work on them....

I don't think he's pretty. Still, I've become his fan! I think he's charming, oh yes (!!), those eyes, that voice, but the reason I admire him that much is because, being handsome or not, the man is simply full of talent, and he works on good stuff, every film I've watched so far I don't regret... (I could continue )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

January 7, 2013 7:54 am  #48

Mnemosyne wrote:

Actually guys, after seeing your examples of actors you just can't watch... I see your point.

Wolfhound It's so touching to see usernames that are dedicated to other people/places/things. It shows a deep personal connection. Do you work with animals a lot? Or was this a 'one-off'? Plus I like the H.O.U.N.D reference, very nice.

No, I don´t work with animals, but they were always important for me - I grew up amongst them . Te be more explicit, we would have a lot of animals at home when I was younger. But the wolfhound was unique.

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

January 7, 2013 11:31 am  #49

Uhm, Name is now sort of... "Usual". I'm always pitagor in the world-wide-web :-D

Then Avatar... I really like the scene in the palast. The whole one. And when they laugh together, it touches me every time, and in that scene that's a big point... Aww :3
Uhm, Signature, I find it extremely attractive when he plays his violin. He looks fantastic while doing it. Aww :3 The picture is one that's softly edited and all together it's one of my favorite ones who I can actually use as signature-picture; even if I think that both (avatar and signature) are going to change sometimes... :-)
The quote I added recently, after have seen this scene once again. I so like it when he explains how his brain works... With the teddybear and all this stuff :-D. Also the way he begin; "Oh... How! What does that matter!" is just great!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

January 9, 2013 5:45 pm  #50

User name: First my user name didn't made any sense to me - I only chosed it because I got no better idea and I don't wanted to call myself "Sherlockfan1000" or something like this.
But actually it makes a lot sense and has its meaning.
I wanted to refer to "Mary Morstan", you know, John's wife in the books (Maybe we'll see her in S3?).
So actually it's a wordplay - you see, "Marry me" (proposal of marriage) becomes "Mary Me" (Mary as first name for John's wife, at once a kind of introduction "Mary, it's Me!"). Like I said, a simple wordplay.
Avatar: Got no better idea. I think I will change it soon - it's too 'standard' being sherlocked.
Signature: I'm a John fangirl. *grin* And I love that scene. Deerstalker hats are some kind of death frisbees and John is a bachelor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 9, 2013 8:46 pm  #51

My username, avatar and signature all point towards to one person.

My username comes from band called Dramagods that was helmed by Nuno Bettencourt, the greatest guitar player alive.
The black and white photo in my avatar is my guitar, which is a Nuno Bettencourt signature model called N1. The sticker on it is from Nuno's other former band called Population 1.
The link in my signature takes you to my blog called 3 Sides to Every Story, which is the name of Extreme's third album, the current band of Nuno's. You might remember the band by their number 1 hit called "More Than Words" from the early nineties.

So the stories behind them all is my number one idol.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

January 12, 2013 10:39 am  #52

OT: Wow, new UI for making posts. I like it

Aaaaanyway. It has surprised me (although it really shouldn't I suppose) the range of ideas behind usernames etc. Even names when I had a sort of inkling as to why they were chosen have more depth to them then I first imagined. Many people have pushed against going for, as Mary Me said, 'generic' usernames.

Pitagor I know what you mean with that quote. It perfectly explains his thought processes. It really doesn't matter if the Earth goes around the Sun; it's not something that is truly relevant in his daily life. The Sun rises, the Sun sets: He doesn't need to know how or why.

Dramagod: Wow. The whole package of your UN/Av/Sig is very detailed... very detailed.

Caroll: Say no more on the name/Av
Your signature gif beautifully shows off Sherlock's passive aggression towards Mycroft. That ever-present childish streak in him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 12, 2013 10:59 am  #53

Now I'm actually very pleased with my avatar. It has the female something.

By the way, I noticed that Mary is an acronym for Moriarty. Moriarty. Take that, John.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 12, 2013 11:01 am  #54

Poor John.

January 12, 2013 1:06 pm  #55

I love how much effort you all put into these little details   I don't even know how to make a signature, but I will now.

Lula x

January 12, 2013 1:23 pm  #56

Wow, that's all so creative! 
My username is actually very simple: people call me Mell, and I was born in 1992: Mell92
The reason why I write 'Mell' with double L (Melissa only has one), however, is a bit special. Back in high school, I was bullied a lot.
My friends used to call me 'Melleke', a name that was supposed to make me sound 'cute and cuddly'. But (if you toy with the sound a little) 'melleke' means 'milking' in Dutch dialect, as in 'to milk a cow'. They made jokes about that, so my friends and I decided that I should go by 'Mell'. I left the second L in. It's a bit symbolic, to show the bullies that I didn't forget.
Now it reminds me of the days that made me stronger
My signature is one of my favourite Sherlock quotes: "You look sad when you think he can't see you." I like the quote because it suggests that Sherlock indeed cares about John and that he is important to him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

April 8, 2013 9:26 am  #57

My username is a combination of my nickname with the name of one of my favourite bands, my nickname is Sampy and one of my favourite bands is Sonata Arctica. So, Sampy Arctica.

My avatar is just a screenshot from an online commerical that I find hilarious, Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. It's an energy drink, you can watch the ad here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbxq0IDqD04

"Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator! It's like a monster truck you can pour into your face!"

And my signature is a line from a song called "October" by Broken Bells. Just something I find a little humbling.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

April 8, 2013 9:47 am  #58

Okay, I'm gonna have a go now... 

Name: Sky Holt is currently my internet name. I chose 'Sky' because: it has the same first letter as my real-life name; and because the first time I signed up to an internet forum and actually stayed, I used the name 'Skyswallow' (I meant Skylark -- I got the wrong bird ). So my forum nickname there is Sky, so I'm used to having that  And Holt because otters are my favourite animal (no, not because of Sherlock -- I've found them otterly adorable since I was 10, and over three years before I knew that BBC Sherlock even existed ) but Otter would be a weird surname. Holt not only refers to an otter's home, but it's a real surname!

Avvie: A home-made gif. It was made on GIMP (a bit like Photoshop) and it's very Sherlock-y! It's a smiley wearing a blue scarf, one of Jim's apps, and the IOU apple.

Siggie: The picture is another GIMP thing -- it's also very Sherlock-y. Smiley, SHER-locked, pullover, blue scarf. The first block of text is a poem from Tumblr about Sherlock (sadly I'm not talented enough to try making my own Sherlocky poem) and the second is my own poem about the SuperWhoLock fandoms (although I'm not really in the SPN fandom). The third is, as is quite obvious, a warning about my irregularity. The link is to a Fowlock (Artemis Fowl & Sherlock crossover) fic that I wrote (it's my headcanon!).

Last edited by Sky Holt (April 8, 2013 10:00 am)

Threatened with burning 'cos his stories were tall
Sherlock Holmes had a great fall
All Mycroft's horses and all Lestrade's men
Couldn't put John back together again

Get your salt and get your gun
An IOU apple? C'mon, you must think!
Let us go -- be ready to run
And remember -- above all -- DO NOT BLINK.

Warning: awkward newbie alert! I will be tenatively posting in random topics until I have established some kind of a rough presence. And then I will probabably continue doing so. You have been warned.

My first fanfic Crossover between Sherlock and AF

April 8, 2013 1:35 pm  #59

I stole my username from my OC Andy Oftenhide. He's one of my most important OCs =)

And my avatar is just a photo taken by me last summer.

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

April 13, 2013 2:27 pm  #60

well, mine is quite obvious: I took the name of the Czech character, because I´m Czech. and the art-curator, too. and I´m a wine lover, so I choose a pic of grapes. most of people here have the pics from Sherlock, so I wanted something slightly different   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

Board footera