BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2012 10:49 pm  #1

POLL: Do you like or hate eating at the cinemas during a movie?

Always wanted to start a poll, so here is my first try.
Started wondering today, while watching The Hobbit.
Some people need popcorn and the like to make their visit at the cinema complete, others hate "eaters" while they try to enjoy a movie.

Last edited by Mattlocked (December 15, 2012 10:56 pm)

What do you think about

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 15, 2012 11:24 pm  #2

Re: POLL: Do you like or hate eating at the cinemas during a movie?

Well, the bucket of popcorn we had was ENORMOUS. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 16, 2012 12:23 am  #3

We tend to always eat during movies but also tend to smuggle our own sweets in because they are outrageously expensive to buy in the cinema itself. We sometimes buy drinks, amidst groans of what a rip-off they are. Likewise with popcorn which has a ridiculous mark-up. The only thing I dislike it people unwrapping really noisy wrappered sweets during the film?

I find the trouble with sweets is that I tend to eat them faster and faster during the exciting bits. I overdosed on winegums during Skyfall and felt quite sick afterwards! I should have stick to a vodka martini, shaken not stirred.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 16, 2012 2:20 am  #4

Saw The Hobbit today. Ate hot rod potato chips (shaped like rings) and drank Pepsi Max. That's my most common set of tools to get the full cinema experience. Sometimes I buy candy instead of potato chips.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

December 16, 2012 8:59 am  #5

I didn't vote because it's not something I feel that strongly about and it isn't such a  black and white(ha!) issue for me.
I shouldn't eat at all(size of a house!) and I do try not to.
But I confess my pal and I shared a bag of pastilles during The Hobbit.
I have no interest in what others do.
I love toffee pop corn and the cinema would probably be the only time I would eat it.
But as I said, I really try just to have a drink and not eat anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 16, 2012 10:26 am  #6

Besley, I think I understand what you mean.
You could have chosen the middle one then. Or the first ""Popcorn and the like are my basics for a great cinema experience!" - added with: "but I try not to eat so much" 

I wonder where all those "military movie watchers" are I heard about.

I myself always need popcorn and coke (or beer or similar) when we are at the cinemas. I always used to have popcorn there (and only there!) and I would miss something.
Sometimes I feel sick from eating too much of it, like Davina. So last night I was kinda happy that they didn't make a break. I would have bought me a second bag and I was already wondering in advance how my stomach might react.   

Last edited by Mattlocked (December 16, 2012 10:30 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 16, 2012 10:33 am  #7

Military movie watchers? Here!    You make popcorn munching noise next to me and you'll be surprised 
Just keep quiet and all is fine 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 16, 2012 10:40 am  #8

Having seen the illegal Star Trek clip that's floating around(but I guess about to be taken down), I have to say it's the excessive and stupid fangirling that was the most irritating....
Having said this, I hardly dare think what I'm gonna be like watching Star Trek!

Last edited by besleybean (December 16, 2012 10:40 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 16, 2012 9:35 pm  #9

I'm not militant, but I don't eat or drink in the movies. I have found that you never really know how that's going to work out. Sometimes, popcorn goes down the wrong way and I end up having a coughing fit. Same for liquids. Then if you drink too much and movies are very long these days, you have to go to the bathroom. Then you have to hold it until the end, when everyone goes to the bathroom. It's just safer to abstain. And, it's annoying when other people are making noises while you're trying to watch the movie. Then there's sticky floors from where people spill soda. So, I say no food in theaters is my choice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 24, 2012 5:01 pm  #10

I always have Junior Mints, they are my number one favorite movie theater food, and favorite candy in general! I don't mind when people eat in the theater, because mostly the popcorn is gone by the time the previews end and the movie actually starts, but I have learned never to get a drink at the theater because of course you have to pee like crazy by the time the movie is through!

"That's what people DO!"

January 9, 2013 4:43 pm  #11

Ummm, I always smuggle my own candys into the cinema :D
But I hate it when there's just a quiet scene in the movie and apparently some people feel the need to eat very loud.
Do you know that situation? -.-
Can't they just wait for an action scene...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 9, 2013 9:56 pm  #12

Don't you find that when it gets to a really exciting bit in the film you eat faster and faster. I know I do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 9, 2013 10:23 pm  #13

Davina wrote:

Don't you find that when it gets to a really exciting bit in the film you eat faster and faster. I know I do.

When it gets really exciting in the film I eat slower and slower...
And then I realise my mouth stands open.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 10, 2013 6:46 am  #14

You related to John Watson?!

January 10, 2013 1:47 pm  #15

Actually not 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 2, 2013 5:17 am  #16

Best movie snack: Maltesers and popcorn. Mixed together.
Sweet and salty, it's the most amazing thing.

I don't have a problem with people eating in the cinema, so long as they're being considerate about it.
I.e. not making an obvious fuss with a bag of chips/crisps during relatively quiet scenes, chewing loudly with an open mouth, etc.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

April 2, 2013 7:43 am  #17

I mainly don't eat because I don't remember to I've walked into a film with popcorn before & come out wondering why it's still full after two hours. I can eat during ads/previews but once the movie starts, I tend to forget that I'm even holding the popcorn in my lap so I've learned not to bother anymore.

April 2, 2013 7:56 am  #18

Healthier!

April 2, 2013 11:50 pm  #19

It's ridiculous tho.   I  go to the cinema on discount days,  and often,  the food I get is more expensive than the movie itself!!   Why  do they raise the price of a whoppers box,  to  4  dollars,  when you can buy it elsewhere for a dollar or less?  

I  agree  they need to serve healthier foods,  like apples,  carrots,  toranges,  etc....but how much are they gonna charge for THAT?  

However,  I go to the movies for popcorn  and treats,  not really for  healthy foods!!   (Ok  I'll admit that!!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

April 3, 2013 6:48 am  #20

Apart from the popcorn, we never actually buy food or drinks from the theatre, we buy it from a supermarket and sneak it in with us. I don't know much about the layout of your cinema's, but we're lucky enough that all of the ones we frequent are either located inside a shopping mall, or just outside it, so it's fairly easy to eat for cheap.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

Board footera