BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2013 6:29 am  #1

A View From The Landing At 221B Baker Street

Seems Mrs Hudson is about to step forward into the limelight!

In October, a book titled Mrs Hudson's Diaries: A View From The Landing at 221b was published and now it seems there are plans to adapt this into a show.

MRS HUDSON’S DIARIES by Barry Cryer & Bob Cryer

Hello Boys! Form an orderly queue, because here she is! From October 15th 2012 you will be able to buy your very own portable landlady. Possibly the most famous landlady of them all. Mrs Hudson.

One frosty winter morning, deep in the vaults of Cox & Co. at Charing Cross, a battered biscuit tin is discovered…
Inside are the diaries of that long- suffering resident of 221b Baker Street, Sherlock Holmes’ landlady, the unflappable Mrs Hudson.
She presents her portrait of life with the great detective and his ever-faithful companion with relish, mustard and no small amount of dropped eaves. Mysterious visitors, disappearances, shouts and bangs – life below stairs at 221b is often silly, slapstick and sentimental in equal measure.

A VIEW FROM THE LANDING AT 221B
The diaries these offer an affectionate and hilarious sketch of a remarkably enterprising Victorian female, whose humorous musings encompass talking to the spirit world, dancing with government officials and nights at the music hall. Interspersed with Mrs Hudson’s fascinating keepsakes – letters, recipes, calling cards and photos – this is a must-have addition for any Sherlock Holmes aficionado.

Behind every great man is an even greater woman … demanding rent.

You can find this book listed on Amazon HERE

It seems the show is busy casting the characters, and if this one comes off I'll be sure to watch it:

Dame Judi Dench - Judi Dench Favourite For New Sherlock Holmes Show

Dame Judi in a comical role? Brilliant!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 1, 2013 11:46 am  #2

Re: A View From The Landing At 221B Baker Street

I am very tempted to order this book. Barry Cryer is a very clever and funny, funny man and I am sure his son is a chip off the old block. The series has every potential to be, in the words of Arthur (not Conan Doyle) BRILLIANT! Thanks for posting this Kazza. What a gem!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 1, 2013 4:16 pm  #3

I've never heard of Barry Cryer (maybe he's not so well known in the US?) but this book sounds really interesting. 

Americans can buy the book, Kindle and hardcopy version, via this link:
http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Hudsons-Diaries-Barry-Cryer/dp/1849543909/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357056409&sr=8-1&keywords=mrs+hudsons+diaries
You can also read part of the beginning of the book at this site by clicking on the "Click to Look Inside" link above the image of the book at the left of the screen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 1, 2013 8:25 pm  #4

Wow, this sounds really cool! I'd love to read this book and Judi Dench would be brilliantly perfect in this role. A show I would watch for sure! I hope it all works out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 4, 2013 11:37 am  #5

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 4, 2013 11:39 am  #6

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 4, 2013 3:17 pm  #7

Thanks, I missed the link at the end of your post....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 16, 2013 10:18 pm  #8

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera