BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2012 8:41 pm  #21

Re: fic recommendations - non-slash

Here I've got a WIP I like very much. It's been updated quite regularly so it shouldn't be a problem.
It's about Sherlock and Lestrade and how they first met in 1995 when Sherlock was a homeless, drug-addicted teenager. Seven years later they meet again and Lestrade realises what a genius he's discovered and how useful he can be for the Met. It's non-slash and very well written.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8794590/1/Got-My-Eye-On-You

The story's a sort of prequel to two longer fics which are quite interesting and dramatic. They're set after TGG but show another outcome than the one we know from ASIB. They feature John (non-slash) and Moriarty. However, in these Sherlock is characterised as being an autist and showing some of the classic symptoms (i.e. he appears in some ways like a victim and less stronger than in the series). If you don't like this, don't read it.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8580420/1/Collateral-Damage
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8697707/1/Side-lined

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 25, 2012 10:27 pm  #22

SusiGo wrote:

Here I've got a WIP I like very much. It's been updated quite regularly so it shouldn't be a problem.
It's about Sherlock and Lestrade and how they first met in 1995 when Sherlock was a homeless, drug-addicted teenager. Seven years later they meet again and Lestrade realises what a genius he's discovered and how useful he can be for the Met. It's non-slash and very well written.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8794590/1/Got-My-Eye-On-You

The story's a sort of prequel to two longer fics which are quite interesting and dramatic. They're set after TGG but show another outcome than the one we know from ASIB. They feature John (non-slash) and Moriarty. However, in these Sherlock is characterised as being an autist and showing some of the classic symptoms (i.e. he appears in some ways like a victim and less stronger than in the series). If you don't like this, don't read it.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8580420/1/Collateral-Damage
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8697707/1/Side-lined

Thank you, that sounds really interesting. I've just started reading "Collateral Damage" and it's very good so far. Sherlock's autistic symptoms are woven well into the story and presented in a way that makes them seem quite plausible. It surely makes him appear a bit weak, but it is a nice change from the many other stories where he is mostly just described as quarrelsome or arrogant.
Best sentence so far: Don't assume it meant that he cares for you more than he would for any stranger with a load of snipers threatening them. That's just the way he is. That nearly made me cry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

December 26, 2012 10:53 am  #23

Yes, I liked them, too. And we surely get a lot of arrogant, superior Sherlock in other fics. And besides, his brain functions aren't damaged. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 30, 2012 12:29 am  #24

Hehehe found a cute little sick fic, where John has a cold and Sherlock doesn't know what to do.

The Common Cold

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

December 31, 2012 11:13 am  #25

I hope it is ok to recommend it here as QE says it's slash but I would G-rate it anyway,
and you would miss a lot if you love comedies and omit this one only because you don't like T,M or E-rated stories.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8853079/1/Molecular-Gastronomy
Molecular Gastronomy by our Quite Extraordinary
who did a fantastic job here. A hilarious little comedy about the results of a special cooking course for Sherlock, funny from beginning to end 
Well, the end gets kind of fluffy.

And if you don't like to read about Sherlock/John as a couple at all, then just ignore this posting and forgive me. Thanks.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 10, 2013 11:26 am  #26

Now, I've got one that really, really got me hooked. It's very well crafted, I simply couldn't stop reading. But, and this is a big BUT: it's extremely brutal. All the warnings the author gives are justified. So, if you are very sensitive give it a wide berth. If not, it will make a gripping read.

No slash. Well drawn characters. Additional information like detailed timelines in the appendix.

Post Reichenbach. Forty months after his faked death Sherlock returns to London after having learned that John has been abducted.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/456761/chapters/785883

January 15, 2013 3:13 am  #27

This one is rec'd on the Johnlock thread but is not actually Johnlock. It's platonic/friendship and a very good series.

The Green Blade
Summary: As a serial killer hits the headlines, the police are out of their depth and the next victim is out of time. With faith in Sherlock Holmes at an all time low, this is a case which will push loyalties to the limit. Not Slash.
Rating: Teen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 3, 2013 10:13 am  #28

John gives Sherlock a taste of his own medicine:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6205481/1/Wrong

This time cheating & including 2 recs in one post:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6203081/1/As-Close-as-Hands-and-Feet

Summarised by fic's author as:

Written for prompt. Mycroft planned the meeting of his brother and Watson, because it takes a particular type of person to cope with Sherlock Holmes.

Last edited by saturnR (February 3, 2013 10:17 am)

April 12, 2013 12:34 pm  #29

Really quite sweet little one-shot

Seeds

In a fit of boredom Sherlock plants some seeds, may or may not eat one cracker, and definitely waxes dramatic on the sofa for a while.

June 3, 2013 7:32 pm  #30

I liked this little story:

Catching the Wind
Summary: "Sherlock is a stranger, looking at himself through broken, tempered glass. Amnesia is a tricky thing. Good thing he has John."

Some parts may be a little halting - I think the author is not a native English speaker -, but it is well-written and very emotional.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

June 4, 2013 7:16 am  #31

Sherlock / Doctor Who crossover one shot!
Love it!
Can't tell you more or it'll spoil it

Just Human

June 15, 2013 6:47 pm  #32

Here's one by the wonderful Kerkerian-Horizon. She's German and writes excellent English. I love all of her fics. 
This one is non-slash and tells the moving story of how old Sherlock and John live together. Very moving. 

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9383054/1/Fossils

June 15, 2013 8:40 pm  #33

SusiGo wrote:

Here's one by the wonderful Kerkerian-Horizon. She's German and writes excellent English. I love all of her fics. 
This one is non-slash and tells the moving story of how old Sherlock and John live together. Very moving. 

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9383054/1/Fossils

Naah, those storys in which they're growing old always make me so sad and I'm still reading them only to torture myself.  
Now I have to remind myself that they're still young and that we only have six episodes up until now. It's alright girl... you're being all fine.... gaaah!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 24, 2013 7:10 am  #34

So On We Go

Summary: Four times Mycroft was allowed to be a brother and one time he really, really wasn't.

A Mycroft-POV 5-things fic which was just really lovely! A tad OOC at the end but that's ok.

June 25, 2013 4:30 am  #35

Dum di dum di dum. Have no work on so reading non-slash fiction at my desk. Whee!

Here - go read this *nod* It's a post-reichenbach, non-slash reunion fic in 4 parts.

Salvage
Sherlock returns and the boys salvage what's left of one another, putting their lives back together and solving mysteries along the way.

June 25, 2013 6:11 am  #36

Thank you for the rec, Wholocked, I was just in need of something new. 

July 2, 2013 1:27 am  #37

Wow....okay...just wow. Read an amazing case fic just now. It's all in one chapter but it's very long. Platonic friendship between Sherlock and John and incredibly well written.

Serious recommendation!!

The Poster Girl
A seemingly straightforward case has Lestrade calling for Sherlock's help. Written from John's POV, this story takes place two months after the events in "The Great Game" and follows the investigation of the murder of Veronica Havisham: seventeen, popular—and murdered in Hainault Forrest on a Friday night in June.

Eta: Masterlistis updated

Last edited by Wholocked (July 2, 2013 2:06 am)

July 2, 2013 4:27 am  #38

Wholocked wrote:

Salvage
Sherlock returns and the boys salvage what's left of one another, putting their lives back together and solving mysteries along the way.

I'm nearly done with this one. It's written well, and your slash-glasses don't have to be very strong. Thanks once more for recommending!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 2, 2013 7:30 am  #39

I liked that one as well and nearly recommended it in the other thread as the chemistry between them is points definitely to slash. Well written, good plots, fine character studies. Thanks again for recommending it. 

July 11, 2013 8:52 am  #40

I've recently read three (IMO excellent) non-slash fics by author Kali47, which I'd like to recommend here. If you like exciting case-fics, as well as quite a lot of brotherly Sherlock-Mycroft-interaction, you'll love these.

The Long Week: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7911580/1/The-Long-Week
summary: Sherlock negotiated with Mycroft 24 hours at Baskerville. Therefore when his brother comes to him with a case, the detective simply cannot refuse... and all hell's breaking loose.

Behind Closed Doors: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8086632/1/Behind-Closed-Doors
summary: A violent serial killer roams the streets of West London in what quickly turns out to be Sherlock and John's most frustrating case ever.

Two Words: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8318174/1/Two-Words (fun fact for all German forum members: this takes mostly place in Germany ;-))
summary: When Mycroft mysteriously disappears somewhere in central Europe and the worst is assumed, Sherlock and John get on the very first plane which is vaguely heading in the right direction.

Last edited by SherlockianDE (July 11, 2013 8:55 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

Board footera