BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 18, 2012 2:06 pm  #1

Czech feeling

I´m Czech and I find this episode´s Czech feeling really funny...especially how Benedict pronounces "Wenceslas" so badly every time :-) and by the way - Wenceslas is rather a first name than a surname

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

December 18, 2012 4:53 pm  #2

Re: Czech feeling

Lovely to have you here  - would you like to post in the introduce yourself thread?
I keep having this connection to Good King Wenceslas in mind - english christmas carol ;-)

More czech hints: There is also this stationery from Czechia in another episode.

Last edited by Harriet (December 18, 2012 4:59 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 18, 2012 5:16 pm  #3

In GAME, the stationery(written on in a lady's handwriting) is from the Czech republic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 18, 2012 6:46 pm  #4

Hello! You can introduce yourself in the introduction thread, if you would like to. 
The Czech elements in the BBC series are an obvious nod to the canon since there are mentioned at least twice in the original stories. At first, the Scandal in Bohemia, quite obviously, although I am afraid ACD got it wrong, all that stuff about a Czech king- quite ridiculous for the period. Then there is another story mentioning the capital Prague being a source of a drug for a respectable professor.
Wenceslas is indeed a typical Czech first name, Vaclav. ¨
As far as the pronunciation is concerned, I didn´t remember any wrong features, I have to listen for it to capture! 

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

July 4, 2013 3:32 pm  #5

Miss Wenceslas , ( Czech/Bohemian  name?) the lady that had the painting authenticated , is touring it , and selling it and even sounds Czech to me .
She says she found the forger in Argentina , but i don't think she sound's Argentinian at all or she herself is Argentinian. 
The whole fake painting idea was hers , with help from Moriarty  , he even boasts about throwing away the £30 mil painting to get Sherlock to come out and play later .
I also think she was the Woman that wrote the letter on the Bohemian / Czech paper with the iridiam pen.
It would make sense as she is the woman working with Moriarty on this game , and even confess's later to the guys at NSY.

Those seem to be the things with a Czech feel , the Bohemian stationary , her name and her accent .

February 4, 2014 11:55 pm  #6

I saw the episode just now and was also surprised why is somebody called Wenceslas considered to be Czech. 
I am Czech, too, and have never heard such surname here before. It is an English transcription of Czech first name, that is used also as surname in rear cases but have no idea why any Czech person used such a strange form of it. I guess that she would either keep her original form Václavová or choose something international but surname Wenceslas even sounds terrible and artificial to Czech ears.

February 5, 2014 6:50 am  #7

Good King Wenceslas was Czech...apparently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 5, 2014 7:55 am  #8

besleybean wrote:

Good King Wenceslas was Czech...apparently.

Yes, he was, but it is an English version of his name, his name was Vaclav.  Czech language even does not use letter w in other then foreign words.

But it is probably quite common for writers to use a well-know name or mixture of them to name their characters that should come from the respective country. Sergej Ljukjanenko in one of his book needed a person from Prague and he created it from two Czech poets. He used the Czech version of the names it looked credible contrary of Ms. Wenceslas. 

But apparently nobody except  for Czech has problem with it so it is OK

February 5, 2014 12:29 pm  #9

and again - Ben´s pronunciation is priceless! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

February 5, 2014 6:54 pm  #10

And I hope that Oscar Dzundza is not considered to be a Czech name (as Golem comes from Prague).

February 10, 2014 9:26 pm  #11

I hope so as well...sounds more like Georgian name or something...and Golem is not only a Czech legend of course.

Board footera