BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 25, 2012 12:20 pm  #1

Beta reader needed

Hi, everybody!

At the moment I'm working on turning my one-shot story Soldiering on... into something longer, and I could really need some critical readers at this point. Not only someone to watch my language (because I'm not a native speaker), but also someone who likes looking for plot holes and would have fun discussing the further developement of the story (because I'm really fighting with it at the moment) .

So, anyone volunteering would be warmly welcomed!

Schmiezi

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 25, 2012 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Beta reader needed

I'm not sure if one needs qualifications for this and there may be somebody better on the forum.  I've certainly never done it before. But I am happy to read and comment and my English is half decent!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 25, 2012 12:49 pm  #3

No specific qualifications needed, just your willingness to give honest feedback! 

Thank you very much, I'll send you a pm for further planing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 25, 2012 4:42 pm  #4

I'm not a native speaker either but I love fanfic and could read it if you like and tell you what I think. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 25, 2012 4:45 pm  #5

I've just emailed my 1st pathetic attempt, Susi.
So maybe you could do a better job.
Ironically(as you are both German), my German-speaking son may have been more use!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 25, 2012 7:15 pm  #6

Susi, I've send you a pm so we can exchange email adresses. (I wrote it in German, by the way, it felt a bit strange to write in English to a fellow German... )

Beasly, your 1st attempt was far from pathetic, it was very helpful!

By the way, there is no German version of the story yet, I write it directly in English. I even write down notes concerning the story in English. That's party because I watch the show in English and partly because I'm an English teacher. Need to practise from time to time...

Well, the more the merrier (do you really say that or did my online dictionary betray me?), so if anyone else is willing to give advise and constructive review (and praise, I'm definitely open to that, too) please let me know!

November 26, 2012 8:34 am  #7

I would be willing to proof read it. If you would like me to just pm me.  Oh... and we really do say 'the more the merrier'.

Last edited by Davina (November 26, 2012 8:36 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 26, 2012 4:31 pm  #8

Yay and I enjoyed it!

November 26, 2012 4:55 pm  #9

I'm going to send you my two cents soon. Hope it helps. It was a pleasure to read. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 27, 2012 1:32 pm  #10

Thank you so much! 

Davina, PM sent!

November 29, 2012 2:40 am  #11

You should post a German translation!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

December 1, 2012 4:55 pm  #12

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

You should post a German translation!

I definitely will. I've translated the first part already (the part I published on fanfiction) but am waiting for my beloved husband to look over it for spelling mistakes and stuff. He's just dying from the most terrible cold in the world at the moment, so apparently I have to be a bit more patient. 

December 1, 2012 5:12 pm  #13

Hope he'll be better soon. As we all know, for a man every illness is much worse than it is for a woman. 

Board footera