BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2012 12:27 am  #21

Re: Radio Times cover

OK, so the article begins with a note from the editor on page 1:

"The revolving door between stage and screen turns ever faster for our finest actors. Take Benedict Cumberbatch. One moment he's television's most celebrated Sherlock, the next he's the toast of the West End as Victor Frankenstein (and the creature on alternative nights). Our exclusive photographs mark this year's Olivier Awards with a host of familiar faces competing for prizes."

Then on page 11 we have "Danny Boyle on Benedict Cumberbatch" but it's different from the article posted by m0r1arty:

"I didn't really know Benedict as a stage actor before I cast him in Frankenstein although I knew what a fine screen actor he is. There's a physicality involved in the theatre. It's not just about mannerisms or impersonation, which the screen often is. Great stage actors have a cerebral nature that allows them to transmit the story. In film you just use the actors for sections, then you are the storyteller through the editing. But on stage they have to do all that live on the night, which is why they love it, becuase they can get rid of us and get on with it. When I saw him for Frankenstein, that was the only thing I wanted to know - did he have that physical capacity? Of course he does. That's why he's now one of the leading actors in the world. We met and I asked him to do a few things and he was extraordinary in the room. He's as fit as a boxer. You can see that combination of the cerebral and the physical when you look back at his screen work. Did Benedict take anything from Frankenstein back into his screen work? In the latest series of Sherlock, there were a couple of things he put in that were direct mimics of Frankenstein's creature. Those of us who shared it all spotted them - the audience wouldn't. When actors are on a roll, they channel everything incoming that's useful. Everything feeds into everything else. It requires mental and physical musculature, a petrol they have to pour into the performance to set it afire."

And that's it. There's the picture on the front cover and one more on the inside. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 11, 2012 7:58 pm  #22

In the process of asking my Granny to save it for me my mother called him David Cumberpatch and said he was ugly. My granny said he was dishy, I started to laugh like a maniac and proceeded to mumble about cheekbones.

Is it just pages 1 and 11 then?

April 11, 2012 8:04 pm  #23

Rosey wrote:

In the process of asking my Granny to save it for me my mother called him David Cumberpatch and said he was ugly. My granny said he was dishy, I started to laugh like a maniac and proceeded to mumble about cheekbones.

Oh, those cheekbones... 
I understand what you say, my mother sais he looks weird and he has no eyelashes... and I have to live with it 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 11, 2012 8:10 pm  #24

Irene_Adler wrote:

Rosey wrote:

Oh, those cheekbones... 
I understand what you say, my mother sais he looks weird and he has no eyelashes... and I have to live with it 

ha ha, my mum thinks he looks really weird with blonde hair. There was a documentry on T.V a few months ago now. It was about a play writer who attended the same school as him. And he mentioned "Oh and this is my natural hair colour!" and when i told my mum she said he really didn't suit it... I guess all mothers like to have their say! 

DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

Board footera