BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2012 8:48 am  #21

Re: American Presidential Elections

I hope America makes the right decision...we didn't last time!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 10, 2012 10:45 am  #22

I'm going to make a T-shirt which says, 'Boris Johnson for President'. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 10, 2012 10:50 am  #23

You want him?  You're welcome to him.Dunno if he'd come, tho!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 14, 2012 9:02 am  #24

besleybean wrote:

I hope America makes the right decision...we didn't last time!

agreed, I hope America makes the right decision...however with Romney as one of the choices things could turn out very badly and turn us all back to a dangerously wrong direction.    I continue to be extremely dismayed that people even consider not voting.

October 14, 2012 1:00 pm  #25

besleybean wrote:

You want him?  You're welcome to him.Dunno if he'd come, tho!

Not necessarily, just think it would make a great shirt. 

In the Mail last week, in an article about how his 'celebrity' is becoming detrimental to the Conservatives, someone pointed out he is US born and thus eligible to run. He was quoted saying he liked his chances at that better than standing for PM. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

November 7, 2012 8:55 am  #26

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 7, 2012 9:14 am  #27

I'm glad they got such a clear vote. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 7, 2012 4:12 pm  #28

Well, now that it's over, only time will tell. I'm not exactly thrilled with the result, but then I wasn't thrilled with my choices to begin with. What I realized yesterday is that for the duration of my voting life, I have always chosen what I thought of as the lesser of two evils, which when you stop to think about it is still evil. Where is my Truman, my Roosevelt, or my Lincoln? Are there really no great leaders left? Or did the people who voted for these men have them same perspective back then that I have now and it's only time and history that has made them the great leaders they were? I honestly don't know. And, I'm trying to be hopeful, but the last 4 years of no improvement doesn't make the next 4 years seem all that promising. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 7, 2012 4:28 pm  #29

I fear it's the same with politicians everywhere. In Germany we don't have many great personalities either. I sometimes think it depends on the challenges they faced. Maybe for Lincoln it was easier to make his choices because the abolition of slavery was a good cause to fight for. The same goes for World War II. At least from today's perspective it seems quite obvious which side you had to choose based on moral principles. Today there is so much pro and con, so much information that tends to obscure the view, so much bureaucracy. Sometimes I read about some cause and think, well, it's great what these people are doing or wanting or planning. And then I look around on the Internet and see the critical voices qualifying everything I thought was good. Maybe politicians have the same problem.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 7, 2012 8:37 pm  #30

But surely we all have some causes that we know are worth fighting(or at least voting) for?

Board footera