BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2012 12:42 pm  #1

Book Club 04/04/12 (FINA)

So this week we'll be reading "The Final Problem"...that's if you can handle the stress/emotion! You've all got a week to read it, then we can discuss our favourite bits...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 12, 2012 8:20 am  #2

Re: Book Club 04/04/12 (FINA)

OK, I'll give people a few more days to catch up because I know some people have been away for Easter!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 12, 2012 10:58 am  #3

Oops I forgot. Better go back and read it again

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 12, 2012 11:51 am  #4

Thanks for the extra time Boss! Lol

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 16, 2012 9:35 am  #5

So I've given everyone quite a bit of time...so let's have your opinions please on The Final Problem.

Apart from the obviously heartbreaking nature of the story, we can take refuge in knowing that Holmes will indeed return! One of my favourite parts is the bit where Watson is called away to treat a "dying" woman - I like the way they reused that in the BBC version as Mrs Hudson. Clever stuff. Also, the reference near the beginning to Moriarty's brother...I know we've talked about it another thread but I'd like to see them bring in Moriarty's brother at some point (though not as his evil twin, lol).

April 17, 2012 12:30 am  #6

Personally, I think an Irish Scot would fit the bill!

April 24, 2012 11:19 am  #7

Don't know how I forgot about this!

The Final Problem is an interesting story. I like the way Sherlock Holmes relates to Dr. Watson his meeting with Professor Moriarty ( some lines used in TGG). Then the trip abroad, which feels a bit strange almost as if Sherlock Holmes is running away. This also links to the court case in TRF where Sherlock is not present for the end. What I like about this story is the way ACD builds up a sense of unease. Things are just not right. Then there is the trip to the Reichenbach Falls. It makes you think 'No! Don't go!' to yourself (rather like in TRF where Sherlock himself arranges to meet Moriarty on the roof of the hospital. ( I mean... Arrrggghhh!) Then there is the letter about the dying woman, which we just know Dr. Watson will not ignore, and he does not (just as in TRF we know John will unhesitatingly go to Mrs. Hudson.) In the story we do not 'see' Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty fall to their deaths. Rather it is Dr. Watson who deduces what has happened, so he has learnt something from the great Holmes. Probably just as well that Dr, Watson did not witness the fall or ACD would have had great problems bringing Sherlock Holmes back to life again! In TRF the writer has gone one better as we actually 'see' Sherlock fall to his 'death'. So they have got some explaining to do when he comes to life again!

The story is bookended by Dr.Watson's report of his friend's demise, how upset he is by what has happened. This is also very similar to TRF where the episode is bookended by John Watson and his grief at Sherlock's death.

It is interesting in The Final Problem that Sherlock Holmes himself seems convinced that his career as consulting detective was not sustainable any more. Was this also the mind-set of his creator? Highly likely I think.

Clearly in The Final Problem ACD had decided to kill off his creation. Whether he suspected that he might be forced into resurrecting him at a later date is a moot point. The method of his 'death' was somewhat open-ended so there would perhaps be an opportunity to bring his creation back to life at a later date.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 17, 2014 4:33 pm  #8

.Doyle really intended Holmes to be gone forever...and yet, to a modern reader, EVERYTHING about the circumstances REEKS of "faked death":

- no body
- a very good reason for not trying harder to find the body
- the narrator / hero / one that we trust does not actually SEE the death
- the reason Watson isn't there to witness the confrontation is a little flimsy in that, it's hard to believe Watson was so easily persuaded to abandon Holmes

Whereas Moffit and Gattis clearly intended from the first that Sherlock wouldn't be dead...yet they changed the circumstances and manner of death considerably into a form of death that's much HARDER to fake. Why not have Sherlock jump into a body of water? Is it the fact that no body = not really dead is a popular idea, so you would expect John and others in-universe to guess that he wasn't dead if there was no body?

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (January 17, 2014 4:59 pm)

Board footera