BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2012 11:56 am  #21

Re: Susi's books

is that really you, that author? well done!!

October 7, 2012 12:09 pm  #22

I checked Amazon for English language editions. Not yet , but hopefully before a film starring BC is made of them. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 7, 2012 5:04 pm  #23

NW16XE wrote:

I checked Amazon for English language editions. Not yet , but hopefully before a film starring BC is made of them. 

Guess what I've been dreaming of for months? 
I would be so happy if they were translated into English but it happens not very often that books by German non-literary authors are translated. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll give a loud cheer if something should happen. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 7, 2012 5:05 pm  #24

The Doctor wrote:

is that really you, that author? well done!!

Yes, that's me. Thank you. I'm very happy about this. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 7, 2012 5:17 pm  #25

Yes, and to all you: Her books are actually good! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 7, 2012 5:19 pm  #26

October 7, 2012 5:19 pm  #27

What just came to my mind... How do you get signed a book you have on your Kindle?    

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 7, 2012 5:20 pm  #28

Really don't know. Good question. Have to think about it. Maybe I could sign the Kindle with an Edding. 

A little personal remark: This thread was started by me for books written by other authors. I never intended to make up a thread about myself. It's turned out this way which is very nice, but … just saying … 

Last edited by SusiGo (October 7, 2012 5:22 pm)

March 30, 2013 9:07 pm  #29

"Toby's Room" by Pat Barker

I just read this excellent and moving novel set shortly before and during WWI. Pat Barker's well-known for her brilliant novels about WWI and this is another one. 
Elinor Brooke studies art at Slade School and has a very close relationship to her brother Toby. When Toby's declared "missing, probaby killed" she tries to find out how he died. She meets his comrade Kit Neville, who's also an artist and has suffered a terrible face injury. 
It is a novel about what war does to the people on the front and at home, but it is also a study of the relationship between art, war, and medicine. 

November 27, 2013 11:36 am  #30

I have not posted in this thread for quite a while but I just finished a series of books Benedict has mentioned more than once. So I decided to give it a try and read all of them. 

It is the Patrick Melrose series of novels by Edward St Aubyn consisting of 

Never Mind
Bad News
Some Hope
Mother's Milk
At Last 

We follow the "hero" Patrick from his early youth to the age of 45. It is really heard to describe the novels as they are a peculiar mixture of social comedy, social critique and the heartbreaking story of a child abused and neglected by his wealthy parents. It is full of witticisms and funny quips and then suddenly there are paragraphs that take away your breath or make you incredibly angry. 
Patrick is a wonderful creation (and in some ways autobiographic, it seems). Junkie, alcoholic, unfaithful husband, but also a loving father struggling with memories that threaten to crush him. The agonising relationship with his mother is haunts you long after having finished the books. 
In the Reddit interview Benedict said that if he could choose a part it would be Patrick Melrose. After having read the books I agree that he would be brilliant as always in bringing to life a character that is likeable and unlikeable and deeply human. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 27, 2013 11:36 am)

November 27, 2013 1:26 pm  #31

Just what I needed.  More additions to my "To Be Read" list!

You do have good taste Susi.   Stephen King and John Irving are two of my all time favorite authors.  The Stand (unedited version) and A Prayer for Owen Meany are in my top 5 books of all time.

I have a deep and abiding love for "Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy.
Just this year "Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman jumped on my favorites list. It will break your heart a little.

I can list a lot more but for those who love crime novels I have to reccomend the books of Tana French.  They are Into the Woods, The Likeness, Faithful Place and Broken Harbor..  The stories center around the Dublin murder squad and are losely connected, but can be read out of order.  I think they are fantastic!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 27, 2013 1:32 pm  #32

Ok.  Just two more!  Also from my All Time Favorites list.

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell and it's sequel Children of God.  Both deeply moving.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera