BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2012 9:38 am  #1

Line I can't understand

Hey guys

This is driving me mental - in the press conference scene, Lestrade says "Well, don't commit suicide!" in answer to a reporter, and Sally Donovan mutters something at him in, I presume, warning. I have watched it over and over and I cannot figure out what she says there.

Does anyone know?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

July 3, 2012 9:43 am  #2

Re: Line I can't understand

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 3, 2012 9:43 am  #3

She says " Daily Mail" - she's telling him who the reporter is working for.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 3, 2012 9:48 am  #4

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! Every time I watch it I get annoyed at it

I hadn't seen that version of the script. I'd found one transcript but it didn't specify that line either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 3, 2012 10:40 am  #5

As mentioned, she is telling him the name of the paper the reporter works for, The Daily Mail, as a warning. This is a tabloid newspaper with a very large circulation not, therefore, one he can be flippant with. If you notice straight afterwards he does a slight back-track on the 'smart-arse' remark he has just made.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 3, 2012 11:00 am  #6

Yeah I did notice that, that's why I assumed she'd spoken in warning, but I couldn't make out what she said. I guess knowledge of the UK papers would have come in handy!

July 3, 2012 6:06 pm  #7

Wholocked wrote:

Yeah I did notice that, that's why I assumed she'd spoken in warning, but I couldn't make out what she said. I guess knowledge of the UK papers would have come in handy!

I don't think I understood what she said till the third or fourth time I watched the episode. I suppose the Daily Mail isn't as familiar to Americans, so it would be a little harder for us to pick up.

July 3, 2012 8:55 pm  #8

Yeah, you can just imagine them doing a big front page splash saying "Lestrade's advice: Don't commit suicide"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 4, 2012 5:21 am  #9

A lot of the TV I watch is British. I sometimes wish there were subtitles -- and I'm American.

October 5, 2012 7:06 pm  #10

DVDs are your friends!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera